306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Mini spring service
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We actually had a sunny warm day up here yesterday so I decided to catch up on a couple of jobs on the 306 (first time this year I have worked on a car without overalls),we have a trip down to London coming up in a few weeks so I thought I had better have a wee look at the old girl.
Did an oil and filter change then removed the aux belt tensioner as the engine has been noisy/squealy for quite a long time after start since the middle of last year - yup the bearing was noisy and lots of play in it.The only replacement I could get hold of quickly was an INA one from ECP so dashed over there and got it and a new belt.
As I put on another thread it took me longer to make the wheelarch splashguards/plastic panels secure than change the tensioner LOL - as I had found they were only loosely held together by one fastener,I did not have many small bolts in my spares box and it took me ages to find a couple of small nuts/bolts to secure the panels.

The front number plate has a chunk missing (bloody pheasants Smile) and is rusting gently away through one of the letters (anyway its getting obscured) - So I ordered a pair of plates from NENPP on ebay - 11.99 inc postage (incl outline and GB badge) - bargain and I though worth taking a risk for that price Smile
The plates arrived safely 3 days later and they look ok - nice thick Perspex approx. 3mm - so will try to drill them without cracking the plastic - masking tape at the ready.
sounds like good progress! make a project thread int eh 306 projects section and then you can keep updating it!
I might do that Smile but not sure how much more I will be doing to her for a while,so far I have just been looking after the pug mechanically (she seems to have been looked after quite well and I always do the normal servicing regularly) and ignoring cosmetic issues,the paint is getting bad (disappearing laquer - followed by disappearing paint) and I am not sure at the moment what to do about that LOL
Did better than me, I swapped the tyres around on my daily to find both fronts are shot, tracking is clearly miles out not just 'a touch' out as I'd thought.
Couldn't figure out why the rear wiper doesn't work, assumed the pipe was at fault but couldn't see any leaks from it.
Brakes look like they need doing as well, plenty of meat on the pads but the discs look shot (front and back!!!).

Happy Days
Ah the pleasures of owning an old car Rofl
I have spent the last few weeks doing quite a lot of work on our other car (Polo 1.4 S 16v) but managed to get through first time on the MOT (phew !)
The most 'interesting' job on that was changing the infamous V68 temp blending motor on the A/C.
I just try and make the most of any decent weather at this time of year,I try and do most routine servicing either spring or autumn (usually a bit of both)

cheers max
Been getting better weather wise, gunna be seeing more of these pop up! Big Grin
Good progress though mate Smile
Thanks Matt Smile
Unexpectedly sunny day up here - bloody forecasters LOL
Anyway the fuel filter turned up just after the sun came out - Mann P716 - 3.99 inc P+P from carpartssaver on ebay (which is actually ECP and cheaper for some things than their own website LOL).
The 306 XUD has to be one of the easiest cars to do the normal servicing on and generally speaking parts are cheap - bargain Smile - much easier to service than the GF's Polo !

That just leaves the gearbox oil which I might change (just to make sure there is enough oil in there really )