306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Looking into getting a 306 for first car
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, 

I'm looking into getting my first car hopefully soon wanting a 306 can get a 1.4 for less than £200 a month, cheapest quote was £95 (wanted to fix box not feeling that). 

Anyone know of cheap places for new drivers, and I'm only 20.

Also good places to get a cheap 306 as eBay is ridiculous one person wanting £1000 for a 5 door 1.4 which is nonsense.

Many thanks Lana
Can your insurance stretch to a HDi or 1.8? Far better engines.

£1000 is a joke. Is that a dealer?
Yeah just on a comparison site and it makes it jump up to over £300 a month which I can't afford as I'm a university student
As above, id go HDI, but if you cant insure it cheaply then theres nothing wrong with a 1.4 Smile cheap to run anyway, hows it that much for you to insure a HDI/1.8? Im 20 and for my HDI it was £550 for the year Smile
(12-03-2016, 08:51 AM)MY95 Wrote: [ -> ]As above, id go HDI, but if you cant insure it cheaply then theres nothing wrong with a 1.4 Smile cheap to run anyway, hows it that much for you to insure a HDI/1.8? Im 20 and for my HDI it was £550 for the year Smile

I don't know was that your first car though? And I was thinking 1.4 for a year then move up bigger and begin to modify after a years no claims?
My 306 was my first car and in my own name, I drove my dads company car for a year beforehand though, its nearly halved though the last 2 years, so yeah go for 1.4 then work your way up Smile
(12-03-2016, 09:11 AM)MY95 Wrote: [ -> ]My 306 was my first car and in my own name, I drove my dads company car for a year beforehand though, its nearly halved though the last 2 years, so yeah go for 1.4 then work your way up Smile

Yeah fair enough I don't have any previous driving haven't passed yet just want to look at options before I do
Oh I see, I pressumed you had passed your test, id advise against these black boxes, you feel a bit trapped when driving a car with one on, id definately advise to spend a bit more and not get one Smile
(12-03-2016, 09:30 AM)MY95 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh I see, I pressumed you had passed your test, id advise against these black boxes, you feel a bit trapped when driving a car with one on, id definately advise to spend a bit more and not get one Smile

Yeah exactly, I know Adrian flux is good for modified so may consider going with them but depends if I want to keep 1.4 standard then move up and modify afterwards
Flux is good. My misses has been quoted £800ish for the year, once she passed her test Smile and they love modifications aswell.

As for looking for a car, 1.4 isn't too bad, but you shouldn't be paying more than £500 for it.
1.4s have held their value well, it's the only petrol 306 dealers are interested in due to the 'cheap' tax, insurance and ~45mpg. You'll probably find 1.6/1.8s cheaper to buy but more expensive to run.

I started with a 1.4 back when you couldn't buy them for under a grand! lol
(12-03-2016, 11:35 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]1.4s have held their value well, it's the only petrol 306 dealers are interested in due to the 'cheap' tax, insurance and ~45mpg.  You'll probably find 1.6/1.8s cheaper to buy but more expensive to run.

I started with a 1.4 back when you couldn't buy them for under a grand! lol

Yeah I've been looking and 1.4 are so expensive its crazy
Ring greg at brentacre...ask for a quote on 1.4 and hdi... Need to be modded but should be all good Smile
(12-03-2016, 05:12 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]Ring greg at brentacre...ask for a quote on 1.4 and hdi... Need to be modded but should be all good Smile

Yeah it won't be for a while yet and i don't know if i want to mod the 1.4 or wait till i get bigger better engine, would prefer diesel to modify i think i dunno tbh
Id keep the 1.4 standard and keep it cheap (bar some cyclones), and save up for a HDI, yes the HDI's are very easily modified to be quite nippy! Smile
(12-03-2016, 07:53 PM)MY95 Wrote: [ -> ]Id keep the 1.4 standard and keep it cheap (bar some cyclones), and save up for a HDI, yes the HDI's are very easily modified to be quite nippy! Smile

Yeah just more expensive to mod due to maps tho in comparison to dturbos, to get it to stage 2 which is an issue
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.
(13-03-2016, 08:21 PM)DAN@ADRIAN FLUX Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

Won't be for a long time yet but will do when I get closer
If you can find a decent solid 1.4 puma I'd get that
(13-03-2016, 11:16 PM)adam b Wrote: [ -> ]If you can find a decent solid 1.4 puma I'd get that

Just don't like the shape of them :/
Fiesta then, same mechanicals.
my mate is also looking at a 1.4 as his first car. He just cant insure a 1.8 or any of the diesels. My advice would be what i did... 1.4 for a few years... then swap to a 1.8/hdi etc.
(14-03-2016, 11:59 AM)Eeyore Wrote: [ -> ]my mate is also looking at a 1.4 as his first car. He just cant insure a 1.8 or any of the diesels. My advice would be what i did... 1.4 for a few years... then swap to a 1.8/hdi etc.

That's what I was planning to do
(17-03-2016, 08:47 PM)Lanamarie Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-03-2016, 11:59 AM)Eeyore Wrote: [ -> ]my mate is also looking at a 1.4 as his first car. He just cant insure a 1.8 or any of the diesels. My advice would be what i did... 1.4 for a few years... then swap to a 1.8/hdi etc.

found one yet? my mates one had head gasket and rear beam issues. He is working out what he wants to do with it now. I reckon you need to be spending £600 for a decent 1.4 these days.
(17-03-2016, 08:53 PM)Eeyore Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-03-2016, 08:47 PM)Lanamarie Wrote: [ -> ]

found one yet? my mates one had head gasket and rear beam issues. He is working out what he wants to do with it now. I reckon you need to be spending £600 for a decent 1.4 these days.

It won't be for a while as I've got to save and try and get through uni at the moment  lol
Hi m8 make sure u put ur hand up under the passenger wheel arch and check where the seat belt bolts too in the rear isnt rusted and crumbled away I have just been giving this advise and check a car I have sat outside and its knackered totally crumbled away I can push my through from the outside of the car through to the plastic surrounding the rear seat belt not good lol
(10-04-2016, 08:04 PM)stuy1982 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi m8 make sure u put ur hand up under the passenger wheel arch and check where the seat belt bolts too in the rear isnt rusted and crumbled away I have just been giving this advise and check a car I have sat outside and its knackered totally crumbled away I can push my through from the outside of the car through to the plastic surrounding the rear seat belt not good lol

This can be sorted for £60-£100 if you know someone who can just about weld!