306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Loss of power steering etc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone have any clues to the following. I keep having a issue where when its wet i start to loose the power steering and just happen again to night where also noticed battery light came on. Only seams to happen turning. Got the car striaght tonight and it all came back to normal. Have checked levels and belts all are ok. Any ideas would be helpful.
Belts probably aren't ok?
Belts definitely aren't ok lol, needs a new aux belt.
Thanks for the help. When i did check i couldn't see any cracks or anything it looked pretty new actually. But will start there. Was thinking bad earth if that's not the case for the battery light. And new pump for the steering but did think it was a bit extreme to replace the pump. Since i changing the belt anything else recommend ie tensioners or guides. Think i can hear a dry tensioner there as well. May as well change the lot one less thing to replace later.
Sounds like the belt is slipping, causing the PS pump to slow down and the alternator to slow down. Tighten up/get a new belt and you should be good to go.
If it's a newish belt it might not have been fitted properly. Release and lock off the auto tensioner and check the manual tensioner still takes up the belt slack. If the belt is loose at this point take up any slack by adjusting the manual tensioner, then retighten the manual tensioner and release the auto tensioner. I'd suggest checking for any play or roughness in bearings while you're there.

If that doesn't solve your problem it's probably your crank pulley on its way out, they're usually pretty damn noisy - lots of videos on youtube to give you an idea.