306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Gear stick like jelly?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello! i solved my idling problem so now the pug has given me something new to fix. Whilst at the meet tonight it developed a very strage problem where it wouldnt go into gear properly and the gear stick felt like jelly. :o

Like i could still get all the gears but it was difficult to get it into gear especially first. Felt like the entire gear stick was about to pull through to floor and off the car :/

Wondering if anyone has any ideas? I know there is that ball which acts as the pivot point? maybe that has slipped and changed the pivot point?

Anyway any comments or ideas appreciated before i have to put it on axel stands and go clambering under again! Doh
Worn gear rods mayb? Smile
well it happened all of a sudden. It was fine on the way to the meet and as soon as i got into town it suddenly almost pulled through the floor!
Pretty funny that you're unhappy about having to jack the car up and get under it, when we've got others in this club that take out engines for lolz.

Worn linkages?
yeh I know. its just im on a gravel drive so always a bit worried when jacking and using stands! D: Definitely getting better and more confident with the whole thing though!

Erm... maybe worn linkages but i swear there is something with a grab screw at some point on the stick so you can change the throw?
Yeah that's fair enough, I can't say I'd be too happy about doing it on gravel either! Doubt I'd even attempt it on gravel...
I wish I had a gravel drive instead of a steep hilly drive. I still jack it up though and put it on stands. Was rather scarey when I first had this pug though when hand brake was non existent.
working on the side of the road FTW. i did my engine swap on the side of the road, only pissed off one neighbour! Big Grin

on topic, haven't you got both the quickshifts on this? or is it just the compbrake style one? if its just the compbrake style one (even tho i dont currently have one) maybe the screw supporting the shaft is loose, or if its a GE one, maybe its come loose on the ball joint?
Sounds like you could of lost one of the two smaller rods. Can get very floppy if that happens

(im talking about the gear stick just to clarify.)
Funny thing is when I tried it I couldn't fault it lol. Tongue. It still felt just as awkward as any quickshift.

I'm pretty sure its something to do with the quick shift though, but I have no idea what sort is on there without looking.

Either that or the rubbers gone on the linkages.

I'll bring my big jack if you havsnt sorted it when I next come over.
yea my rods are gone AA man said so and it was cause of the quickshift......so changing my rods today got mine from pug1off.com arrived 2days later
Uve either got a gear rod fallen off / slipped qs issue, or you have popped the gear stick ball out, can you lift the gearstick up and down at all?
Btw it still drives fine and is driveable, so rods cant have actually fallen off or you'd be missing gears surely??
Toms306 Wrote:Btw it still drives fine and is driveable, so rods cant have actually fallen off or you'd be missing gears surely??

Hence me saying about the ball Wink as causes a very sloppy drive / hard to select gears as the rod just rises instead of levering fowards.
darrenjlobb Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:Btw it still drives fine and is driveable, so rods cant have actually fallen off or you'd be missing gears surely??

Hence me saying about the ball Wink as causes a very sloppy drive / hard to select gears as the rod just rises instead of levering fowards.

Yeah I read that, was just saying the rods cant have fallen off lol. Smile

Where is that ball then? At the bottom of the gearstick?
Toms306 Wrote:Funny thing is when I tried it I couldn't fault it lol. Tongue. It still felt just as awkward as any quickshift
You've clearly never driven a car which has a properly set up quickshift, they're anything but awkward
Scott Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:Funny thing is when I tried it I couldn't fault it lol. Tongue. It still felt just as awkward as any quickshift
You've clearly never driven a car which has a properly set up quickshift, they're anything but awkward

Oh rly? Confusedhock:

I've driven two cars with quickshifts....and played with sams...all were bloody difficult to get into gear........and even more difficult to get neutral as the stick just wants to go right across into say 3rd from 4th. Bloody horrible things imo lol, I'll stick with the massive throw and easy changes in the golf I think. Tongue

I wouldn't say any of those were necessarily set up properly though. lol
Tbh I cant stand driving cars without them after driving cars with them, drove a mates hdi last night, and whenever I get in Ruans car I start complaining at the 2 mile run you have to start everytime you change cogs, QS ftw tbh... as for linkages falling off, you can sometimes still select gears, but normally VERY hard / random.
Toms306 Wrote:
Scott Wrote:You've clearly never driven a car which has a properly set up quickshift, they're anything but awkward

Oh rly? Confusedhock:

I've driven two cars with quickshifts....and played with sams...all were bloody difficult to get into gear........and even more difficult to get neutral as the stick just wants to go right across into say 3rd from 4th. Bloody horrible things imo lol, I'll stick with the massive throw and easy changes in the golf I think. Tongue

I wouldn't say any of those were necessarily set up properly though. lol
As I said, not a properly set up one Wink

If you enjoy getting your passengers in the rear to help you shift from 2nd or 4th, then that's up to you Big Grin
When one of my linkages broke off I could still select 2, 3, 4 gear it was just like the gear stick was floating around.
Shortened gear nipples FTW
yeh i cant drive anything without a QS now. i reckon it might possibly be the linkage for 1st as it takes about 10 attempts to get in :/ Tried a 0-60 and it took 3 attempts to find second and 2 to find third! D: