306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: C5 alloyies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have two sets of C5 light wheels at the moment, and have two sets of standard wheel bolts but thinking what other wheel bolts I could use without damaging the wheels. I'd like to have a set of lock nuts for them. Is the important part the washer or the taper angle? Anybody know of any alternatives to the standard ones that I could use? 

Has anybody who uses them ever had brake cooling issues with them?
Cheers
I use a set of aftermarket chromed versions with the loose washer. Look much better

No brake issues for me
Thanks, the original ones don't exactly look great, although I'm trying a set of wheel bolt caps on them first..tenner for the set.
I had brake fade with mine but it was standard brakes with ds2500 so maybe expected
Hmm, I'll see how I get on with them, might mock up a brake cooling system
Make sure you use the type with washers, otherwise you can damage the wheel, supposedly. Obviously use the correct seat type too, there are two different types of these, one taper and one flat.
So the washers are the important part? yeah, I read into them a bit before buying, mine are the later type with the tapered seat.
So i have been told. But then I was under the impression the taper seat ones were the earlier ones, odd, will have to look into that some more.
I could be wrong, but that was how I understood it....mine are definitely later ones, ill have another closer look at them
They all are tapered seat. The loose washer is a must tbh or you'll chew up the seat
Fair play, i never looked into it properly tbqh, just what i've been told by others.

They're not alll tapered seat, i've got a flat seated one in the garage lol.
Flat seat ones were the original ones that were recalled due I believe to cracking from over-tightening - the later replacement ones are the taper seat type.

They're not as good as a more open wheel when it comes to brake cooling, and certainly there's been people over on 205GTiDrivers who have experienced fade running C5's that isn't there when running conventional alloy wheels. That said, you're unlikely to see an issue on the road unless you're driving like an idiot.

You ideally do need the correct taper seat bolts with a washer, but the washer-less ones found on just about every steel wheel on a 80's or 90's PSA small/medium car will work providing that you're careful not to over-tighten them.
flat seat ones were the early safety recalled type due to cracking, replaced by the tapered variant, in 2002.
Ah rightoz

Good info ThumbsUp
(22-10-2015, 12:36 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: [ -> ]They're not as good as a more open wheel when it comes to brake cooling, and certainly there's been people over on 205GTiDrivers who have experienced fade running C5's that isn't there when running conventional alloy wheels.  That said, you're unlikely to see an issue on the road unless you're driving like an idiot.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but so long as they're fine on road that's all good! Do you know of anyone who successfully came up with a cooling solution?
Cheers for clearing that up guys, right you are Will. Smile

Cooling ducts would do the job fine.
I'm away this weekend, but next I must mock up something and see if I can find a good piping route. I think I'll stick with the standard wheel bolts and just put caps on them, I rather be on the safe side and not wreck the wheels.
As I said... I have yet to have any brake issues.

BUT I am running 20mm spacers and DS2500R pads
What tracks have you done though Piggy? A 15 minute session at Castle Combe is unlikely to trouble the brakes too much compared to other circuits in my experience.
(23-10-2015, 11:36 AM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]As I said... I have yet to have any brake issues.

I reckon the spacers could make a pretty big difference to airflow around the brakes. Do the wheels stick out past the body with the 20mm spacers?
(23-10-2015, 01:25 PM)Will Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-10-2015, 11:36 AM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]As I said... I have yet to have any brake issues.

I reckon the spacers could make a pretty big difference to airflow around the brakes. Do the wheels stick out past the body with the 20mm spacers?

Just rolled arches a little and not running stupid "stance" height
What do you mean by stupid "stance" height?
look at a typical irish spec 306, that Wink

lol
I get ya, take out the bump stops and cut the springs...Donegal spec!