306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Drifted suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Right im sure i missing loads of cars here so get your suggestions in people.

Im looking to sell my Dt and get something i can have a little rear end fun in! it will still need to be my daily (only about 30-40 miles a week) so im looking for something derv so far i have........bmw 3/5 series........... and thats it lol, has to be within 2k or less. I dont care about looks it can be a shed for all i care as long as it can get its ass out and and not be ridiculous on fuel .

Soooooo what can you think of people?
rear fun on track or roads...

no one is going to condone any type of 'sideways' road use car.

If you're going for a track car, build a 306 into a sideways slag ninja
Track fun of course as im only 10mins away from castle combe,

After the gti6 build and the rest of the 6 build after show season i cba to sink loads of time and money into another project , just want somthing that needs a little tweeking to be set up for difting
I love it! shame its so bloody far away other wise i would have been on that!
Summers coming, MX5 could be good.

TBH with how few miles you do a 3281 could be really cool

Really if you want to drift its gotta be a 200sx or similar though.
i'm sure you could find one on a local ad - smaller engine than a 3 series, and power to weight on them is epic.
Iv also got to think about insurance as my 5 years ncb is on the gti and i only have 1 on the dt

And i would love something like that dum but i want something i can use if i have to travel aswell
puglove Wrote:Iv also got to think about insurance as my 5 years ncb is on the gti and i only have 1 on the dt

i don't get it; my NCB arn't stuck to one car :|
I have 2 sets of no claims!

5 years on the gti6

1 year on the Dt

As you Can not use your ncb on more than 1 car id like to keep my 5 year on the gti6 to keep it cheap
Then sell the Dt and use the ncb that is on that on the new motor
Old e-class: driftable, uber-lazy daily, very practical, comes with derv engine as standard unlike the mx-5. Same goes for jaguar xj.
MX5,V6 Omega or a E36 BMW, If its your first skidder it'll probably get beat up anyway, so theres no point in it being anything too daft/expensive IMO
jag xj8 Big Grin lol, some guy was drifting one round matchems... epic lol
Got to be an mx5 really. Perfect for summer, one of the best handling cars in its era/type and will get skiddy no problem, especially with a welded diff. You can pick them up from £500 upwards aswel, depending on how tatty/spec'd up you want it. £2k will get you a nice mk1 or a higher mileage/tatty mk2.
You don't want to weld the diff on your road car realistically Dan, it sort of defies logic.

Mainly because most imported MX5's already have an LSD.

Also, has anyone ever driven a daily car with an LSD or a locked rear diff? It's not the slidy-roundabout hooligan type of drive you think it would be. It doesn't make your tyres squeel around carparks, either.

Instead, the rear of your car will 'skip' and jump about under low speed with a bit of steering lock on. It's a right pain.

Furthermore, for a diesel, you'll struggle to find one which has an LSD fitted. I'm sure they stopped fitting LSD's in anything but the 'M' BMWs (M3s M5s) in 1998, so you'd be looking at something even older...
c.a.r. Wrote:Furthermore, for a diesel, you'll struggle to find one which has an LSD fitted. I'm sure they stopped fitting LSD's in anything but the 'M' BMWs (M3s M5s) in 1998, so you'd be looking at something even older...
I think it was 1997 and it was they decided traction control was better. Even before that though it was rare for the 325/525tds to have a LSD because they were an optional extra and you can imagine how much that cost.

You dont need one on a 325tds anyway as my old one would happily spin both rear wheels with a good clutch kick even at standard power. The 325tds will understeer if pushed to drift in 3rd and you dont get the rears spinning quickly
I think you need to weigh up your options as to what's important.

If you want to actually be able to drift (like attend dwyb events etc.) then you'll be making a massive comprimise with a diesel car.

There's a reason Nissan S-bodies and Skyline GTS-Ts are so popular in drifting communities - because they're out-of-the-box drift ready cars. Get anything less and you'll need £££ to get it right.

Diesels supply their (standard) power usually in one big hit. The torque is useful for slipping traction, but it's hardly an ideal powerband for a track car or drift car (which is why you only see mentalists taking diesel cars on track).

Get a 'typical' drift car or don't bother, IMO. Seen too many decent cars go to waste because the owner thinks he will be the local Drift King with a few subtle mods (like spraying the entire car in matt black and welding the diff).

Ideally, get a cheap 180SX which is rust-free and a second 'daily driver' if you can't afford the fuel. Having said that much, if you can't afford the fuel in a petrol turbo car then you really won't be able to afford to run a drift car anyway.
Will you stop with the Diesel slagging?

It got boring ages ago...

If we're going to get technical, a Diesel is BETTER for drifting, you've got the massive load of torque to light up the rear tyres and HOLD the tyres lit up... A petrol you can't - you have to keep kicking the clutch to get the tyres free, then SIT on the limiter which is where all the power is to hold them smoking... A diesel will sit on it's peak torque with the tyres screaming for mercy quite happily, in a petrol for example if your engine doesn't have the torque at a low enough RPM when you smack the clutch, it'll just bog down - go watch the video of the Mercedes Diesel drifter - it's got so much torque, the slightest prod of the throttle breaks the tyres free and will HOLD them like that in a higher gear...

But anyway, yes, a 180/200sx is your best option for a cheap drifter... If you want some RWD action and aren't obsessed with being DK Y0h! Then an MX5 is a good option, easy to get power from as they're quite mild as standard... E36s aren't bad, but they're all sheds these days...
Best drifter I've had a go in was a Volvo 360 with a Clio 16v engine in it, great fun, easy lump swap, £300 for a 340/360 and £300 for a rusty Clio...
c.a.r. Wrote:You don't want to weld the diff on your road car realistically Dan, it sort of defies logic.

Mainly because most imported MX5's already have an LSD.

Also, has anyone ever driven a daily car with an LSD or a locked rear diff? It's not the slidy-roundabout hooligan type of drive you think it would be. It doesn't make your tyres squeel around carparks, either.

Instead, the rear of your car will 'skip' and jump about under low speed with a bit of steering lock on. It's a right pain.

Furthermore, for a diesel, you'll struggle to find one which has an LSD fitted. I'm sure they stopped fitting LSD's in anything but the 'M' BMWs (M3s M5s) in 1998, so you'd be looking at something even older...

Come on now Chris, get back to the pistonheads forum...
If you can find a talbot sunbeam or a rarer lotus sunbeam..epic fun in a small rwd car Smile. Or you could xud it Wink
Vauxhaul chevette with a c20 let

Job done
Peugeot 505 pick up with something awesome under the hood.
Jonny b Wrote:Vauxhaul chevette with a c20 let

Job done

VAUXHALL Jonny FFS Tongue
Had a forged 200sx before. They don't come cheap any more and most of the chassis are twisted.

A good option though as long as your prepared to pay for a rebuild after the bottom end goes. Tongue

Although if budget is the biggest concern I'd go for a PERV:

- 340 Volvo
- 325/328 3 Series
- Ford Sierra twin cam
- Ford Scorpio
- MX5

All of these are affordable "cheap" options for a first time drifter.
Here is an outside the box idea, but have you thought about a pickup? Loads of torque rwd with switchable 4wd for winter snow no weight at the back and Hsiang a LSD on the rear as standard..my widtrack ranger is a beast and I can get that sideways and hold it great in large private Tarmac areas and go off road and drift on mud is great fun also and if you get stuck pop it in 4wd and off it goes..could pick up an old pickup cheap then it's diesel and gets about 35mpg if your careful..25 if your pushing it..room in the back for all sorts spare tyres ect..worth lookin at?
mark_airey Wrote:
Jonny b Wrote:Vauxhaul chevette with a c20 let

Job done

VAUXHALL Jonny FFS Tongue

Ha ha comedy factor imagine it though sideways in a chevette lol
Jonny b Wrote:Ha ha comedy factor imagine it though sideways in a chevette lol

There are quite a few get used for forest rallying up here so it would be pretty normal sight TBH Tongue
Pages: 1 2