306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: clunking and rumbling?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright guys Smile

Got a hit of an issue I have had for a while and I have put off long enough. Whenever I go over bumps and I am turning at the same time I get like a really dull thudding banging noise? Any ideas what this is most likely to be?

Also when I drive I have a quiet dull rumbling noise as well. Not sure what that is either :/ any ideas?

Don't wanna just go throwing money at parts. Might ssave a bit of cash if I could narrow it down a bit or start with the right parts Smile

Thanks Big Grin Jack
Clunks over bumps is usually dead top mounts and drop links. The rumbling could be wheel bearing or CV joint.
I was thinking top mounts tbf. Would that make the handling a bit wobbly and not so precise would you reckon as well?

I have had a go at using a technique to test the wheel bearing which was to jack the car up and then spin the wheel while my hand is on the shocker. Apparently your supposed to feel it vibrate but mine was nice and smooth.

Will most likely get the top mounts and drop links changed first and see where I stand with it then Smile

Thanks Big Grin
Whenever I've had to check bearings, I have spun the wheel and listened (put ear close to wheel centre). You'll hear a dying bearing. Also check at quarter-to-three and six-o-clock.

Outer CV joint will show on tight turns. Find an empty car park and do full lock turns in both directions slowly, listening for clunks. Again, you'll hear a dying joint.
Yeah I couldn't hear anything when I spun the wheel and didn't get any noise when doing the quarter to 3 and 6 oclock ones so it maybe just the top mounts clunking a bit over light bumps in the road possibly?

I have looked at the price of top mounts and drop links and they look easily affordable so will get them done to start with Smile

I know the whole setup will hopefully be getting changed for a good set of shocks, springs, and rear axle soon as well haha so that will all get sorted in the near future Smile

Thanks for the help bud Smile
Give the wheel a wiggle with it off the ground, could well be the lower swivel causing your knock.