306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Struggling to get unions undone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm stripping my rear beam off and some twat has rounded the unions. I've coated with wd40 and used mole grips to undo but to no avail

I was thinking can I cut the line, where the female Union is then attach a female and male to the line then have a bit of pipe to another set of male and female unions which then connects the the existing pipe work. I really don't  make up a new set of lines
Just need to take time here. Soak them for a long time and gradually work them back and forth being careful not to twist the pipe as they quite often seize to the pipe.
some heat will help too Wink
Isn't brake fluid flammable? Confused
get the stilsons on them, never come across a brake pipe that won't head to a decent pair of stilsons
(19-09-2015, 03:50 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't brake fluid flammable? Confused

so is petrol and plastic i didnt say burn the feckin car down TMI

heat up the union nuts in the calipers
Yeah but you wouldn't heat fuel pipe unions surely lol?
I have done on derv filter before. In the vice. Away from the car. Never with petrol though. And yes brake fluid is flammable it burns green if you want to know.
(19-09-2015, 03:55 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah but you wouldn't heat fuel pipe unions surely lol?

Its still not going to burn though is it unless he has a leak there lol
It was the unions in the beam under where the spare wheel is. The unions where rounded with absolutely no where to grip. Had mole grips, water pipe grips and stilsons but they either slide round or started to twist the pipe. So now, I have a new rear beam on the car. Just got figure the best way to join the two pipes again haha

anyone know what thickness the brake pipe is? Or know what unions I need to buy?
3/16 pipe and 10x1 unions. one or two are 12x1, depending which you mean.

I'd just cut the line and bash a smaller 12 sided socket on it, or a good 6 sided 11, make new lines, cheap tbh.
Just cut the pipe either side of the union and then when you come to rejoin it put a new union on and flare the ends of the pipe.

It takes minutes to make a new hard line to the caliper though.
that wont work, the pipe wont be long enough lol
It's the two unions which join under thhe boot between the spare wheel and the boot floor, it's a 17mm and a 11mm to undo them.

Guess as long as I get the pipe size right it doesn't really matter what size union as they only connect to each other
that is correct.
Halfords do metric unions, which I asked them if they would be appropriate the they said they would be, I thought 3/16 would be imperial though no?
metric thread 3/16" pipe.
Ahhh sweet! I'll pick them up tomorrow Smile
(20-09-2015, 08:15 AM)welshpug Wrote: [ -> ]that wont work, the pipe wont be long enough lol

You can usually pull hard lines to a different shape a bit, if not cut more out and put unions and a new section of pipe in.
bodgetastic
The OP specifically says that's what he wants to do and doesn't want to replace the lines.

It isn't what I'd do on my own car but that's the advice he asked for.
Putting a new section of pipe in is what I'm doing just to get it on the road, then once I have the car running I'll be chucking a new/old set of hard lines on