306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: HDi Conversion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So my XUD lump isn't in the best condition, if I was to do a conversion to HDi would it be a case of just getting the engine, engine loom and clocks? Or is there more to it?
Lift pump aswell.. You need dash loom aswell afaik
(15-09-2015, 06:45 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: [ -> ]Lift pump aswell.. You need dash loom aswell afaik

Would the lift pump just replace the current one?
Its fun trust me. Now doing that conversion. Unless you have a reasonable amount of time to either strip out entire loom or to work out current wiring. To be fair im only doing it as i couldn't bring myself to kill another xud. Mines had 3 in now!!
Probably easier to just buy a HDi and swap your parts onto it tbh Nathan...
what he said. i love my car and it will stay though
Seems like only yesterday people were ripping out their Hdi lumps to drops xuds in :p
HDI FTMFW Tongue
yeah seems strange that more people want to do this. poodle being the only one i know of whos done it. Im just to in love with my car to change it. practically speaking you should buy a hdi. for fun do the conversion.
Yeah would be easier to buy a HDi but I'm attached to the shell haha
Fair enough. In which case. Crack on. Buy a complete hdi to make life easier.
(16-09-2015, 05:55 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: [ -> ]Fair enough. In which case. Crack on. Buy a complete hdi to make life easier.

Good shout! At least everything is there then
They do black 3dr HDi's though...what's in a shell (apart from probably rear arch rust on a ph2 Tongue )?
(16-09-2015, 07:21 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]They do black 3dr HDi's though...what's in a shell (apart from probably rear arch rust on a ph2 Tongue )?

Possible back seat memories.. Ya know.. Haha
(16-09-2015, 07:21 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]They do black 3dr HDi's though...what's in a shell (apart from probably rear arch rust on a ph2 Tongue )?

No rust on the rear arches thank you very much Big Grin just attached to it haha. Haven't seen many non sunroof black 3dr ones about
(16-09-2015, 07:26 AM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: [ -> ]

How would I know!? lol Not much space in the back of a 306 for that either. Confused

(16-09-2015, 07:30 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote: [ -> ]

No rust on the rear arches thank you very much Big Grin just attached to it haha. Haven't seen many non sunroof black 3dr ones about

Lol, fair enough, each to their own at the end of the day! Smile I've seen a few black DTurbo HDi's tbf, never had a ph3 with a sunroof either lol.
(16-09-2015, 07:36 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-09-2015, 07:26 AM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: [ -> ]

How would I know!? lol Not much space in the back of a 306 for that either. Confused

(16-09-2015, 07:30 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote: [ -> ]

Lol, fair enough, each to their own at the end of the day! Smile  I've seen a few black DTurbo HDi's tbf, never had a ph3 with a sunroof either lol.

Yeah I'm not a fan of sunroofs haha if by a miricle a non sunroof black HDi came up then I would buy it but might be easier to buy a complete HDi as suggested then just get what I need from it then sell/scrap the rest
I like sunroofs...when they don't leak! Only ever had one though on the ph2 lol.

Tbh you do need a whole donor car if doing the swap as above. So either buy a cosmetic shitter and do a swap or buy a decent black one and swap your parts on to it. Either way you need a whole car and a bit of time and space. Smile
(16-09-2015, 07:44 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]I like sunroofs...when they don't leak!  Only ever had one though on the ph2 lol.

Tbh you do need a whole donor car if doing the swap as above.  So either buy a cosmetic shitter and do a swap or buy a decent black one and swap your parts on to it.  Either way you need a whole car and a bit of time and space. Smile

Yeah I'll keep an eye out for one with body damage or something Smile
My estate is a ph3 1.9 nad and I put a hdi it just a case of engine loom ( all the way to the wipers) lift pump,clocks and all the immobiliser stuff all plug and play very easy to do
(16-09-2015, 09:39 AM)aggyj17 Wrote: [ -> ]My estate is a ph3 1.9 nad and I put a hdi it just a case of engine loom ( all the way to the wipers) lift pump,clocks and all the immobiliser stuff all plug and play very easy to do

Awesome, not to bad then Smile
Naa not bad atall mate. Just look under the rear seat and see if there are wires there should be just the engine loom
The phase 2 interior loom is different though isn't it? Think that's what causes the hassle here, wont be an issue on your ph3.
(16-09-2015, 10:18 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]The phase 2 interior loom is different though isn't it?  Think that's what causes the hassle here, wont be an issue on your ph3.

Mine would be a phase 2 I believe, it's a 1999 xud. Just has a phase 3 body kit on it
Yes sorry, Nathan yours is phase 2 (well maybe 2.5 but will be ph2 underneath), Aggys was ph3 to ph3.
Once the ECU is unlocked, these need very few wires to make them actually run - basically the engine loom is pretty self contained and only requires the ignition switched +ve to power up the ECU, which in turn itself powers the double brown relay.

The only other two things required for it to start is the lift pump - which also goes back on the big plug on chassis leg, I've seen Ph2s with and without the wiring there for a lift pump on the fuel sender plug - so that may need manually adding.

Then you need the starter solenoid wire that will engage and turn the starter. Then the engine will actually start and run by itself - no other wires are actually needed for it to run - long as you keep the power signal to the ECU and the double relay stays live, the engine will run.

Speedo drive is on the same wires back to the dash, but uses a different signal in XUD, so you need to swap the dashboard for the speedo to work.

The rest is ancillary stuff that will simply need connecting - it may be on different pins on the plug, but it's no different to the stuff on any engine - it's all compatible, stuff like oil pressure light switch, reverse light switch, battery light (which is required to get the alternator to self excite) etc etc.
(16-09-2015, 11:41 AM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Once the ECU is unlocked, these need very few wires to make them actually run - basically the engine loom is pretty self contained and only requires the ignition switched +ve to power up the ECU, which in turn itself powers the double brown relay.

The only other two things required for it to start is the lift pump - which also goes back on the big plug on chassis leg, I've seen Ph2s with and without the wiring there for a lift pump on the fuel sender plug - so that may need manually adding.

Then you need the starter solenoid wire that will engage and turn the starter. Then the engine will actually start and run by itself - no other wires are actually needed for it to run - long as you keep the power signal to the ECU and the double relay stays live, the engine will run.

Speedo drive is on the same wires back to the dash, but uses a different signal in XUD, so you need to swap the dashboard for the speedo to work.

The rest is ancillary stuff that will simply need connecting - it may be on different pins on the plug, but it's no different to the stuff on any engine - it's all compatible, stuff like oil pressure light switch, reverse light switch, battery light (which is required to get the alternator to self excite) etc etc.

Awesome thanks Ruan Smile so it's pretty much plug and play once all the loom so swapped over and stuff
Well, I wouldn't say plug and play... You can't guarantee that all the pins are the same between Ph2 and Ph3 car looms where the engine loom connects - that's likely to be different.

IME some of the stuff is the same, but I wouldn't count on it - you'll want to take your XUD loom, mark up what every pin does on the two bulkhead connectors, then do the same on the HDi loom and mark up every pin on the bulkhead connectors.

That way you know what uses the same pins and what needs changing for the HDi engine.

But there's nothing that simply will NOT work, it's just a case of putting the wires to the right pins to suit the loom in your car.
(16-09-2015, 01:31 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I wouldn't say plug and play... You can't guarantee that all the pins are the same between Ph2 and Ph3 car looms where the engine loom connects - that's likely to be different.

IME some of the stuff is the same, but I wouldn't count on it - you'll want to take your XUD loom, mark up what every pin does on the two bulkhead connectors, then do the same on the HDi loom and mark up every pin on the bulkhead connectors.

That way you know what uses the same pins and what needs changing for the HDi engine.

But there's nothing that simply will NOT work, it's just a case of putting the wires to the right pins to suit the loom in your car.

Ah okay. Wiring is my worst nightmare haha
I can confirm the pins at the wing are NOT the same on MINE. Started looking into pin data and wiring today. Now that ive taken a step back from a little stress it doesn't look to bad. Ive marked up old xud loom and ill begin to mark up hdi loom when im back. Surprisingly the connectors on the body of the car actually have more pins in on my xud than they do on the hdi i stripped. I have a theory. That could be wrong. That its because most the stuff on a hdi is run from the bay. Also need to wore in an obd2 connector. Im doing mine in the engine bay just for ease.
Pages: 1 2