306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Rear calipers rebuild kits and how tos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi wheres the best place to get hold of a rebuild kit for the calipers and has anyone done a how to on this or am i been blind. If not any advice.
Ight mate I looked into doing a refurb on the rear calipers but I read a few post on it and basically sounds like the jobs a right bastard there's some seriously awkward bits which resulted in one guy cutting up some sockets to make a custom tool. Can't mind what the kits cost but in the end I found a eBay seller selling a pair for £70
yeh id like to see a brake rebuild tutorial!
Just rebuilt a pair of rear calipers. Bit tedious in places but ok. You do need to make a special tool though. If I get 5 mins, I'll do a guide.
What is the special tool you need?

I rebuild these fairly often / don't think any of the tools I use are special other than just a bog standard rewind tool to put piston back in after...

You can get rebuild kits from big red, and comes with all you need bar grease. For any calipers which have had failed main dust seals get a kit with new pistons, as the old ones will be pitted and no good.

Also always worth cracking bleed nipple before you start to make sure its free, as when they snap off its a real pain / very tricky to repair yourself at home, I would say replace caliper for what there worth if that happens...
To compress the Belleville washers on the handbrake mechanism.
I used large water pump pliers
Yeah you can get around that issue.....And in fairness, there isnt much that goes wrong in there anyway, main thing is to clean it all up, and re seal / grease the sliders and re seal / replace the piston / dust seal etc....
The special tool is only a socket with the sides cut-out. Means you can squish it all up in a G-clamp, as I found it tricky putting the shaft back in (along with lining up the spring and cam) with a big pair water pump pliers.

Out of the three sets I've stripped down, all showed wear on parts of the handbrake mechanism (either the piston screw shaft, handbrake lever shaft or both). I had to make good pair out of three including new bushes in the caliper body.
Any one got a guide or way of stripping and rebuilding these then. Or a link to some. really need one as need to get the car back on the road.
Cheers for the heads up on the socket tools worked really well took some picks when i get time will try and put a guide together. The one thing i would recommend is that you get some red caster grease for the pistons and sliders by the look of it peugeot neveur greased them from new. Should help to prevent water some of the known issues. And also moly grease the same as the stuff used in the cv joint for where the where the handbrake cam goes. Just be prepared to get it everywhere.
Is there an exploded view of the caliper available ?

Also seen the "modified socket" on a thread on here somewhere.....

belville washers? not everybody will know what they are?