306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: the UK’s most reliable cars 2015
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quite surprising. So it's not a case of the more expensive is best (bmw & audi)
Hell no, expensive german stuff seems to be a chronic pita for random faults, usually on all the random extra, complex systems.
Also its not right. How are the vw range not close together. All the frickin same. I see the same faults in my garage for vw as i do for skoda as i do for audi!
More expense tends to get more refinement and spec...certainly not more reliability... lol

It doesn't seem right though, even the best in that survey is 77% failure rate....the worst are over 100% failure rate! Confused That means atleast three quarters of modern cars are broken at any one time?
I'm sure I read somewhere that the new cars of today are no more reliable then the ones of 30 years ago just when modern ones go wrong they need complex electronics and the old ones just need a hammer.
'Complex electronics'? They usually just scan with diags and chuck another module or sensor in... lol

I do wonder what they class as 'faults' though...things like Bluetooth are always breaking. A reliability survey would be much more useful if it was purely based on breakdowns...
If you have a look at the reliability index. Is a properly speced data base of every car. Not just manufacturers. For example nissans new dci motors are crap. Imo the renault engine isnt up to it. But the old nissan micra used to be bullet proof. Looking at a manufacturer as a whole isnt right imo. Peugeot have made some pretty big f ups using the bmw lump that stretch's the timing chain for example.
Ah I see, makes sense! I'll bet well over half the faults are on diesels, and most of them will be DPF related. Would explain why someone like Suzuki that mainly sell cheap and cheerful petrols have done so well on the MSN list.
Interesting that it's done over 'problems per 100 cars' but doesn't specify as to what constitutes as a problem.. A turbo failure is obviously much much bigger issue than a sensor of some sort.
Where is this data from in the first place??

Who are JD Power and how do they know each and every fault for every car in the country??
LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._D._Powe...Associates

they collect the data and publish it.
Lol lol lol! All the above reasons are why I bought a phase1 306, the most complex elecs I have is my shit aftermarket radio! Lol
Absolutely no excuses for owning an early 307 SW se 110 right enough other than I can't fit all my kids in a 306 estate anymore! :-(
My work is a great example of all the above issues with modern cars!
I work for Dominos doing deliveries in the most affluent area in the south side of Glasgow and most of our drivers are between 18-24 and rich students mostly with new polos and Corsas and they all have problems of one sort or another, I can only pity them when they have to go to a dealer or garage to get bent over for this sensor or that fukt filter on a regular basis!
We use JD Power data at work, it's a pretty well respected resource. As you say, it doesn't account for the severity of the issue, but to most buyers that is irrelevant, as everything is under guarantee. They don't care if it's a 1 hour fix or 2 days, a fault is a fault if it has to go back to the dealer.
(11-08-2015, 07:49 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]More expense tends to get more refinement and spec...certainly not more reliability... lol

It doesn't seem right though, even the best in that survey is 77% failure rate....the worst are over 100% failure rate! Confused  That means atleast three quarters of modern cars are broken at any one time?

It sounds high, but an awful lot of new cars go back for at least something at some point.

Modern cars won't last as long as old ones. Cares very rarely totally die and virtually nothing is beyond repair. Most cars get killed when they uneconomical to repair. Components are so expensive and problems so difficult to trace if not shown on a reader that cars will begin developing faults which are too expensive to repair compared to the cost of another car at a much younger age than 90s cars.
There is just too much to go wrong on a modern cars. On the German cars there is just about a sensor for everything with age and wear these components will start to malfunction or picked up by the ECU as an error. I wouldn't touch a modern diesel without a warranty, plus the running costs are extortionate, DPF's getting blocked, replacing ad blue, constantly cleaning out the egr valve, injectors wearing out, HP pumps, DMF breaking apart, this sensor, that sensor, etc... This is the reason why I like driving my 306, I bought an entire working engine for the price of a full tank of fuel Big Grin
Kia in 2nd? bollocks! Ive probably had over 100 faults on my one alone! lol
Peugeot is the Best LOL.