306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: ELM327 issues...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
SO I have TWO ELM327 dongle things.

Two different laptops, one old one for arduino/diags etc with xp on it. One with windows 7 on it. 

With both latops, both dongles and different bits of software, I cannot get it to connect to the 206.

I was testing it as I need to plug into a mates astra, which I tried 15min ago, with same results.

Baud rate and com port is correct and it recognises the adapter/device.

But it basically says non connection and to check ignition is on (which it is) 

Any ideas before (after a few days of nothing working and lots of stuff going wrong and breaking) I pull a drill through my head due to the headache from working in heat all day

Angry Huh
What age is the 206? May be too old for OBD2.
You can usually try to manually set the protocol instead of it being set on automatic, try cycling through these
(30-06-2015, 10:22 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]What age is the 206?  May be too old for OBD2.

im 99% sure that all 206s are obd2
After 2001 all petrol had to be didn't they? Then 2004 was when all diesels had to be ?
Try what I suggested.. you also need to try to connect it within 5 seconds of the ignition being turned on
(02-07-2015, 08:16 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: [ -> ]Try what I suggested.. you also need to try to connect it within 5 seconds of the ignition being turned on

not sure how to do that tbh.

Did the ignition timing thing
What software? I'll admit I've never had much success with any windows based OBD software using an ELM327...
When you say you've set the baud rate and com correctly, what are they set to?

If it's just basic code reading stuff you wanna do, and you've got something android, just use torque.
(03-07-2015, 02:46 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: [ -> ]When you say you've set the baud rate and com correctly, what are they set to?

If it's just basic code reading stuff you wanna do, and you've got something android, just use torque.

"torque"??

Just read codes and get some data if needed tbh.

38400baud rate and com4 it was.

It wouldnt connect to the elm any other way. It connected to the elm fine, just not the car

(03-07-2015, 01:23 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]What software? I'll admit I've never had much success with any windows based OBD software using an ELM327...

used the software that came with it...and about half a dozen others! obdwiz etc etc

any suggestions for other software/hardware?!
Is there any free Vaux/Pug specific software?

I use an ELM cable with ForScan and ELMConfig for the Focus. I never had any luck getting an ELM to work on 306s though!
(01-07-2015, 02:00 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-06-2015, 10:22 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]What age is the 206?  May be too old for OBD2.

im 99% sure that all 206s are obd2

No they aren't. From 2001/2ish they were. Easiest way to tell is the stalks. If the stalks are the same as 306 ones, its non OBD but if they are newer and curvier (and probably do all sorts of weird things they shouldn't) then its OBD.
Post '03 206 HDi uses ISO 14230-4 (KWP2000 Fast-init, 10.4k baud) as it's protocol.

Pre '03 206 and 306s all use ISO 14230-4 (KWP2000 Slow, 5 baud init, 10.4k baud) as it's protocol.

This is ALL OBD-II compliant - just different initialisation protocols. Usually applications don't differentiate, just try both methods of init on that protocol.

There are about 5 different protocols that OBD-II can use.
(04-07-2015, 06:50 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Post '03 206 HDi uses ISO 14230-4 (KWP2000 Fast-init, 10.4k baud) as it's protocol.

Pre '03 206 and 306s all use ISO 14230-4 (KWP2000 Slow, 5 baud init, 10.4k baud) as it's protocol.

This is ALL OBD-II compliant - just different initialisation protocols. Usually applications don't differentiate, just try both methods of init on that protocol.

There are about 5 different protocols that OBD-II can use.

ace info as usual pal, will see if I have that much control over the software I have
What can elm do besides reading codes?
(04-07-2015, 07:47 AM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-07-2015, 02:46 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: [ -> ]When you say you've set the baud rate and com correctly, what are they set to?

"torque"??

Just read codes and get some data if needed tbh.

38400baud rate and com4 it was.

It wouldnt connect to the elm any other way. It connected to the elm fine, just not the car

(03-07-2015, 01:23 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]What software? I'll admit I've never had much success with any windows based OBD software using an ELM327...

used the software that came with it...and about half a dozen others! obdwiz etc etc

any suggestions for other software/hardware?!

Torque PRO, app for android. 

38400, is the max speed but sometimes you have to use it at half that, can't remember the reason why. If you can't choose the COM port in the software, change it to COM 1
(05-07-2015, 08:49 AM)ginge191 Wrote: [ -> ]What can elm do besides reading codes?

Depends on the software...

I've activated all sorts of things in various ECUs with mine (auto locking, cruise control, even change the amount of time washers and courtesy lights run for...). Plus reset values for EGR opening, reset DPF values, trigger a DPF regen...

The ELM is just a cable, it's the software that does the work. Smile
Sounds like the exact same issue that I've got with the dongle I've got Piggy.

Mine point blank refuses to talk to my 306 HDi (or my old one for that matter) but works absolutely fine with an '02 306 1.6 as well as a couple of newer petrol cars that I've tested it on (a '05 Leon Cupra R and an '07 A-class). Tried the various configuration options but it doesn't want to know - just claims no connection with the ECU.

I can only assume that it's something with the dongle itself not supporting the protocol needed by the 306 HDi (although that doesn't appear to add up judging from Ruan's comment above that all pre-2003 models use the same protocol and it works with an '02 306 1.6) as clearly the dongle works on other cars and the HDi doesn't have an issue with PP2000, a generic code reader or MPPS using the diagnostic port to talk to the ECU.
The main one to try is play with making sure the ignition is on JUST before it tries to connect.

Had REAL problems with a 206 HDi ECU with this, will NOT connect unless you time it JUST right - god knows what borks it!

The protocols are definitely the same "protocol" as said, just the initialisation method which everyone appears to be having issues with.