306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Dead 306 cabriolet SE 2.0, scrap/fix???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys need some useful input on this latest potential project!!
Saw for sale for peanuts 85 miles away.

Description

Peuqeot 306 convertable, non runner with some bits missing,,ie back lights and one or two other bits take it away on a trailer
[Image: %24_86.JPG] So tax'd 406 and went and got Sunday morning with my trailer. I've had a few estates and hatchbacks but no soft tops but thought looks ok through the pigeon shit and filth!! Not much of a clue bout anything to do with the roof etc. Story goes it was by the river down London when the floods happened a yr ago. Was recovered 100miles to the lads dads house. Been sat ever since. House being sold so wanted it gone. The lad took the rear lights, coil pack, plugs fuses and relays from under dash. Not end of the world is it. I didn't get a straight answer as to whether it was driving in the water or just sat in it. The father said it didn't get in the car so probs be ok.
 Winched up and off I went. So have had a few hrs since to look at what peanuts gets you these day!!!
I'm thinking not as much as I'd like and after removing the airbox confirmed engine 99% dead so it was driven through water.
 This covers most of the issues/faults to fix but bear in mind I have an unsellable 2001 meridian 16v estate which im breaking after selling axle to mate with a decent 1800 16v engine.
2 door check straps,
headlight bulbs/fuses/relays,
rear lights/exhaust back box,
2.0 engine/box,
front pads one side and 1 rear caliper,
everything to do with the pump for the roof, ecu, pipes, wiring loom,
driverside wing,
interior light,
pair of tyres and maybe an immobiliser issue.
 So that's the list. Have most of the parts from the estate but no rear end parts Sad
Anyone think its worth fixing or after parts or have the parts or should it just be sent off to be crushed???
My 2.0 turbo one has been sat for over a yr and a half doing nothing and I have thought that engine could go in it but have been told these aren't the nicest ride with body flex etc. Anyways any takers, opinions welcome. Thank you.

after a quick rinse down!

306 estate
Depends on how highly you value your time. That cabriolet is way past repair for most people! If you do fix it and get a window sewn in, let me know where you had it done as mine is coming away ever so slightly...
Me personally, I would get your posts up on here, then strip the car down and flog it for parts, body, wheels etc...

Whereabouts are you from?
Very good luck if you do try and repair it if not breaking it would make the most financial sense
Personally I'd break it, could be a lot more damage with it been flooded.
But I have a few cabriolet bits lying around about to be tipped on Saturday.
I also have rear lights. :-)
it wont be that bad as most of the electrical stuff is high up on a 306, it wont have been in the water for very long as it was tidal coupled with a lot of rainwater.

new engine and a damn good clean.

a friend of mine got hold of an SL55 AMG that was written off in the same floods, thankfully the engine escaped, but the footwells had filled up, guess where half the interior motors and ecu's are!....

yeah, half a dozen control units and 4 seat motors later and it's nearly fixed, cheap way to get 500 bhp folding hard top, he's had a dehumidified inside for a few months and its dried out nicely.
no idea on where to get screen from. Seems generally idea is to flog a few bits off and scrap rest of it. What will this axle fit as I've read stuff bout torsion bar diameter and height etc??? That seems good. From Great Yarmouth.
well I tried selling for bits and if I had 100's of window regulators I'd be laughing or any of the actual roof pump parts!! So have gone down the resurrection route and so far not been to bad. For some reason thought the a/c might have worked so faffed about removing pump from engine and checked if there was any gas after and nowt there!!! What a waste of time and effort. 2.0 Engine out and 1.8 in. I unplugged the immobiliser box in the estate before dropping out and pulled plug off one in soft top prior to connecting battery. Not only did it go in but it starts and runs too. Lovely clean airy workshop to work in lol!! I believe now the 2.0 and 1.8 have different clutch cables as I seem to have a lot of cable sticking out from in front of the fork in cabriolet whereas the 1.8 estate doesn't appear to have that issue Sad How much easier to do before before dropping engine back in!! Unless I'm missing something???
 I broke the plastic housing on rear of engine getting it out so thought I'd use the 2.0 one but its different so bought a new one from main dealers and cracked it 2hrs later tightening up. So still aint gonna put shaft in as lot easier to do without it there.  So will be ordering another one.
 Need to remove drivers side rear caliper and pipe from estate as that's missing and a pair of front pads for o/s ft as they aren't there either! Then hopefully some kind of braking system will be in place. Then find out whats wrong with the ABS.
  Exhaust needs work as 2.0 cat has 1 lambda with black plug but my 1800 has 2 sensors so will be getting some professional bodgery going on with welder at local exhaust place as they not the same length. I'll be driving there for that after getting a lambda sensor fitted to my hdi cat on the 2.0 turbo and then taking it to bolt on and it fouling the gear selector lol. Much better idea to have car on ramp while measurements and that are taking place so its bodged once and once only!!!! 
 So once all that's taken care of, just a rear window, lights, drivers wing and maybe a proper rear box unless the estate one is fitted Wink .
well done for having a go at sorting it out, as tbh it doesn't look all that bad, in fact I have seen worse go on ebay!
cheers for that, have managed a slight drive of it yesterday dispite no brakes (no fluid) and no clutch as cable wrong one and one on estate is shite so need a new one.

I bought some pads as bosch calipers on cabriolet and lucas on the estate. Caliper and pipe came off ok. More of an issue getting the handbrake cable out of it but a drill came in very handy!!! Everything seems to be kinda going the right way atm. But have just seen a £225 X reg that could make the effort on this worthless as it seems far, far better then this gem Sad . And other fella on here with his one in the same colour as mine with a working engine that hes pulling out and a complete hood too, for £200 too!!!! Oh well. I decided b4 the paddock drive to put the roof down. Went ok but I couldn't pull it up on my own so had to get my mate to lift it shut but I think its cos it needs a bit of oil on hinges etc!!
Bought some rear lights and another alloy for £40. Gearbox oil in and a new clutch cable fitted. Doesn't work properly but not sure why atm. Self adjusting was fitted to the estate. A new one was ordered but its adjustable with the 2 nuts on the end. Its all the way up but doesn't want to go through the gears and reverse is nicer if you switch it off b4 engaging it lol. The rubber bit is not completely through the bulkhead under brake servo as had enough of struggling with it!!!! Drove it properly today to get exhaust professionally bodged on!
Now have a full estate exhaust sysem fitted. Much quieter now. ABS next then it could MOT.
Has anyone got the assembly that holds the two lock cables shut for the hood cover when roof is down??
monsoon4x4 iirc do roof repairs, might be worth gibving them a bell
Thank you, will give them a call and see what they say.
nice project and im sure it will clean up well. Not all 1.8s had two lamdas. Only the later ones iirc!
Yes the estate was a '51 plate. Must be why. Has that oil breather pump vacuum thing on it too and wondering if I really need to fit it?? Sits under passenger inner arch and connects onto the side of the engine off a kinda egr valve assembly. Any ideas...