306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: HDI top end knock near HP pump
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Put a new engine, all seemed fine till it later developed a knock/rattle, you can hear it on tick over just slightly but it starts to make a real clatter beginning at 2K revs, I don't think it is a collapsed lifter, any ideas?
Sure its not one of the pulleys?
Not the crank pulley, that's billet, all new tensionsers and pulleys on the timing side.
They could well be new, but are you certain nothing has come loose?

I'd be taking off all covers to ensure it's nothing there.
I should have made it clear in the first post, the noise is definitely coming from within the engine, sounds like piston slap.
Was it a used engine? If so, was it good before removal? Anything changed between?

If its been dry a while the lifters do clatter for a bit while they fill up but doesn't take long to quieten.

If its definitely internal I'd hope its just a lifter tbh. Confused
engine was £50 complete won it from an auction on ebay with spelling mistakes, the seller was trying to weasel out of it, I sold the HP for £50.

The engine very hard to turn over, indicating it had been left standing for a while.

I've put some wynnss lifter treatment and some injector cleaner.
Is that it?
effectively free engine Big Grin

There are soooooo many DW10TD's around it's unreal, a complete engine can be had for next to nowt these days
Lol, I've scrapped a couple of HDi engines as I couldn't even give them away! lol

You sure the knocking isn't a faulty bonnet catch? Itwasntme
Bad-dum-tish!
Probably a dead engine then.
Does it seem like it's running alright though?