306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Engine flush
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it worth using before an oil change? I have no idea when it was last serviced.

Anybody have any good/bad experiences?
we always use forte products at work to flush out engines. ive seen the evidence though a little practical they showed to us. lubricates better than the oil when in and can be used up to a 1000 miles in the engine oil before flushed to get rid of residue. i personally never use any as i know the history of most my engines or they have had a strip down. saying this ive seen the forte stuff work its magic a few times and would happily use it if my own engine was to get gunked up. a few of the cheaper products on the market are more like thinners which i do not trust. he asked us to bring a few in from local motorfactors to try. we found that when they were loaded up they caused wear (although they did clean at the same time) i wouldnt be happy using these ones. each to there own. i hope this helps
Heard good and bad things about engine flush. I have always thought of it as a bad thing because it breaks down the oil. When you drain it you only get about 85% of the oil out meaning there is flush still in to damage the new oil and start breaking that down. Also heard stuff about just shifting clumps of oil deposits into bad places etc.

I can't however think of a problem with using just regular flushing oil like this

Basically drain the old oil out --> Fill up to the max point on dipstick with that stuff (Remember to put sump plug back in) --> run the engine on idle for about 15/20 minutes. Few gently revs here and there to build pressure and wash through --> Drain that oil out and change the filter --> Fill with the new oil.

When I did mine it was amazing how dirty the flushing oil got after just 30 minutes of running haha.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORTE-ADVANCED...43d0ac7cb7

that is the stuff we use

as mentioned above. the flushing oil, which i also have some experience with is also reasonable. however from my own personal experience i trust the forte stuff now due to its lubricating properties if some were to be left behind
more expensive ones = a nice set of detergents, manufactured to work with the oil and add stronger detergent properties
Engine flushing oil = similar to the expensive addatives,
cheaper flushes = achieve the same thing with the detrement of the oil consistency

Wrynns and/or the Forte ones are good,
Maybe someone should try mixing both. Mineral oil flush with forte in it  Popcorn
I think i'll go for the carlube flushing oil as i'm doing the service tomorrow morning and can pop to ecp on the way.

Will deffo be trying the forte next time.

Thanks for all the info guys Smile
I've never personally been a fan of engine "flushing" stuff, I'm usually of the opinion - manufacturers knew what they were doing when they developed the engines, magic potions that are branded good for ALL types of engine aren't always the best idea!

Me personally? If I'm going to change the oil after it's not been changed for a while, I'd just pop in some cheapy Asda oil, drive around until warm, drop it and then put good stuff in...
(10-06-2015, 09:36 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]I've never personally been a fan of engine "flushing" stuff, I'm usually of the opinion - manufacturers knew what they were doing when they developed the engines, magic potions that are branded good for ALL types of engine aren't always the best idea!

Me personally? If I'm going to change the oil after it's not been changed for a while, I'd just pop in some cheapy Asda oil, drive around until warm, drop it and then put good stuff in...

That's what i've always thought tbh. 

I'm guessing the flushing oil is a similar principle to using cheap oil for a bit?
The wynns stuff did a world of good for mine, but that was a motor that had been pootled around in for 40k and had other problems too.
personally i always use it on the 205, i dont have a favored brand but i alway use some. Normally ill get the oil hot ( excuse for a hoon!) then add it and leave it for 10 mins or so then dump it out while hot. Ive always used stp oil additive aswell but that can be very opinionated.
I've started using it and haven't seen any problems with it. Makes sense really because it thins down the oil and cleans out the gunk from places with little flow. Just don't run it in there for too long and it'll be fine.
Used the wynns stuff from halfords a couple of times now and it's the only one I've seen to do anything (havent tried forte) . The wynns had loads of chunks in the dropped oil and seemed to do a good job. The STP one did naff all and was probably just a bottle of kerosene like their injecotr cleaner
I ended up using wynns, only cost £3.50 from halfords with a trade card. First oil change i've done on the hdi so wouldn't know if it 'worked' or not lol
forte products work! we had a car did a compression test before and after the engine flush, and it works.
Oil clogging is a big problem on the saabs but I think the 2.8 V6 isnt one that particularly does it. Never the less it is on the history of the car. Its not something Im planning on doing in my ownership.
had my car for nearly 10yrs now. (W-reg), regular oil changes.
would it be worth doing next service (next summer)?
May as well for £10 for flushing oil. Just put that in after draining the old stuff (Still with old oil filter) leave it to idle for 15/20 minutes and then drain that out and replace the oil filter and put the proper new oil in.
I found that it kept the new oil a lot cleaner for longer than when I have done it without flushing first.
I use tech4, bloody brilliant stuff! Its the type that you add, leave the car for 10mins with NO revving!

What i would say is last year i was driving a 306 HDI, used a tech4 oil flush and diesel system clean and after a service was getting noticeably more mpg.
on the 'to do 2016' list then
Another vote for Forté