306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Spinning TRE ball joint.....HELP!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So it was going so well with the NAD!!

Picked up a driveshaft from the scrappy, got the hub nut off, the bottom ball joint/wishbone off, the ARB clamp off....but can't get the bloody TRE off, annoying as it's like the last one. Doh

So yeah.....how the hell do you stop a ball joint spinning while you take the nut off????

Help asap please, need this done!!

Cheers
Tom
Hit the underside of the ball joint upwards, worked for me like 10mins ago putting devils fuel's tre back in
I might be being really thick here but how is that gonna help? :?
replace it... put it back together or get a lift to get a new one - mine started spinning in itself and i tried EVERYTHING to get it back in, similarly to a droplink, once they spin, it's a pita to get it back together.
Could put the jack underneath and apply pressure although I normally just cut them off and get new ones.
^^ chop it

or if you can get a small pair of mole gribs underneath?
ginge191 Wrote:or if you can get a small pair of mole gribs underneath?

This is exactly what I just thought..........but no idea if I have any in the garage!

Can't put it back together as the nut's stuck, just spins trying to do up or undo.

I will cut and replace it as a very last resort (trying not to spend money on this car...a new TRE + tracking isn't ideal lol)

Having some lunch now so left it soaking in WD40 for now.....
bigcheez2k3 Wrote:Could put the jack underneath and apply pressure although I normally just cut them off and get new ones.

The TRE on the 106 is at the top of the strut lol....my jack isn't that big. Tongue
Tom, get a lever bar along the top of the track rod to apply pressure down on the tre, I stuck a scaffold pole into the arch on top of the track rod, then pushed down while doing the nut up/off. Need a lot of pressure tho
Tried mate, I can't enough pressure into it. Even put the ball joint splitter as tight as possible and the spanner on the nut but still wasn't enough pressure.

Haven't got time to f*ck about now so just asked dad to pick up a tre from Ecp now.
Fair enough man, I used a two metre scaffold pole with most of my weight on the end of it before I could get it
samass Wrote:Fair enough man, I used a two metre scaffold pole with most of my weight on the end of it before I could get it

You know I only weigh like 8 and a half stone though right......... lol
lmao no wonder!!
Ah crap...just found out ECP shut at 4pm today.....why the f*ck doesnt anything go to plan? Ever? :mad:
Ignore that last post....just had a text from my Dad...he got to ECP at 3.59pm! lol So he's got one and will be over with it shortly...better get the hacksaw out then!
feck that.. angle grind the bugger off!
^agreed.
Don't have an angle grinder....only took a few mins to get off with a hacksaw.

But I still cant get the f*cking driveshaft out......theres nothing but rust holding it in now! :mad:

Gearbox end is out.....but hub end just won't come....f*cking fed up now tbh.
get some heat on the hub. i used a hairdryer on the hub of my fiesta, that was enough to get it out along with penetrating fliud and a BFO hammer
samass Wrote:get some heat on the hub. i used a hairdryer on the hub of my fiesta, that was enough to get it out along with penetrating fliud and a BFO hammer

Is a hairdryer really hot enough?

Not sure electrics and rain go together but i can try it! :think:
de-odorant can and a lighter Tongue
surprisngly so! max it out, only needs to expand it the tiniest amount to release it. worked for me, but my sisters hair dryer went fooking hot! just have an umbrella and an assistant
Hitting the TRE up into the hub, helps to wedge it in enough to stop it from spinning...
samass Wrote:surprisngly so! max it out, only needs to expand it the tiniest amount to release it. worked for me, but my sisters hair dryer went fooking hot! just have an umbrella and an assistant

Given up now...will have to try again in the morning. Sad If the axle stands havent sunk into the ground and drop the car.....

Seriosuly doubting my abiltiy to change a turbo now if I can't even manage a driveshaft. :?
fair nuff man. if you can, get a blow toch, you can get them cheap enough from b&q if theres one close, and then smash the f*ck out of it with a hammer.
also, soak the shit out of it in wd40 overnight just to help
samass Wrote:fair nuff man. if you can, get a blow toch, you can get them cheap enough from b&q if theres one close, and then smash the f*ck out of it with a hammer.
also, soak the shit out of it in wd40 overnight just to help

Yeah I'll walk the 15 miles to B & Q haha..... :? lol

Its been wd'd but the rain will most probably wash all that off anyway and cause more rust overnight. Doh I've found a hot air gun for wallpaper so will try that if its not pissing down in the morning lol.
Put the shaft back in and hammer on the hub end!! It will come out just mtfu
placcy bag it to stop the rain getting in. hot air gun will do the trick, just protect the shaft so that doesnt heat up too
*LOUD NOISES*
Jonny b Wrote:Put the shaft back in and hammer on the hub end!! It will come out just mtfu

Why back in?

Ive put the hub back on the wishbone so theres something solid to whack against if that makes sense. Oh and I think I whacked it too hard anyway...the ends started mushrooming out!! Hopefully it'll still fit through the hole :/
Pages: 1 2 3 4