306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Mapping :( so confused
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all, hoping someone could shed some light on this, iv got winols demo and loaded my original hdi map and my jp stage2 yet no matter what I click or do or read I can't actually see any values or what I i would perceive as a value, iv also tryed it on 3d view and it just shows a flat 3 sided graph with none of the rise and falls you would expect from a 3d graph. 

Don't want to steel anyone's thunder from all this I just want to fiddle and play with some home brew mapping. Cheers
Steve has done some mapping on his rover... may be the same software.... most people on here i doubt know about this kind of thing.
There's some ace guides a chap has done on youtube about WinOLS working with the EDC15P from the VW PD TDis (even if he is afflicted by a brummy accent from memory) - the engine operates quite differently, so a lot of the maps are different, but vastly the functions are the same and in terms of how to use WinOLS. Well worth a watch if you're just learning.

You need to select the maps you want to look at then compare them, WinOLS does actually have a nice compare function, the help file for WinOLS is also outstanding - in terms of using the software, it will help you a huge amount Smile

I'll give you a few pointers to get you started with this in general, some of this isn't always explained from day one! -

- EDC15 is a 16bit ECU, hence most of the maps are written in 16bit, there's a button to select this. I say most, there are a few exceptions Smile

- When selecting maps, set the column width to the same width as the map - honestly, a few years ago back when I started, if someone had explained this to me, it'd have saved me so much time!

- Don't ever expect WinOLS to automatically find maps, use it to see a few maps, but I'd say 50% of the maps aren't picked up by the auto search function.

- Be aware of checksums, understand what they do, they can ruin your day if ignored.

- More isn't necessarily better, knowing what to change is absolutely key, don't assume looking through other peoples files will teach you what you need to know, it'll just teach you what they are changing - the old adage about giving a man a fish vs teaching him to fish springs to mind.

- All that maths you did back in school now begins to make sense, I've used more maths in the last few years tinkering with files than I've ever used before, I didn't understand maths at all and hated it, now I can apply it to something, it finally starts to make sense.

- The DAMOS files out are not always right - merely use them as a guide!

- The EDC15C Funktionsbeschreibung is your friend, just learn technical German Smile

- There's a lot of amazing forum topics on this ECU and variants thereof, every time you read them, you'll learn something new!

- If you do decide to go down the road of wasting many hours pouring over how minuscule parts works, you'll realise you can't know everything, but you can begin to get an idea of what's going on and hopefully understand enough to make calculated changes.

I know I'm not precisely telling you how to do it, if I did that it'd be pointless, you'd not learn - I think the other guys on here who deal with mapping will agree... It's a huge learning curve, it may seem like nobody wants to help, it's not true, most people simply want others to find out for themselves, if people learn what to search for, it'll help them so much more in the long run!

HTH.
(03-06-2015, 09:31 AM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]There's some ace guides a chap has done on youtube about WinOLS working with the EDC15P from the VW PD TDis (even if he is afflicted by a brummy accent from memory) - the engine operates quite differently, so a lot of the maps are different, but vastly the functions are the same and in terms of how to use WinOLS. Well worth a watch if you're just learning.

You need to select the maps you want to look at then compare them, WinOLS does actually have a nice compare function, the help file for WinOLS is also outstanding - in terms of using the software, it will help you a huge amount Smile

I'll give you a few pointers to get you started with this in general, some of this isn't always explained from day one! -

- EDC15 is a 16bit ECU, hence most of the maps are written in 16bit, there's a button to select this. I say most, there are a few exceptions Smile

- When selecting maps, set the column width to the same width as the map - honestly, a few years ago back when I started, if someone had explained this to me, it'd have saved me so much time!

- Don't ever expect WinOLS to automatically find maps, use it to see a few maps, but I'd say 50% of the maps aren't picked up by the auto search function.

- Be aware of checksums, understand what they do, they can ruin your day if ignored.

- More isn't necessarily better, knowing what to change is absolutely key, don't assume looking through other peoples files will teach you what you need to know, it'll just teach you what they are changing - the old adage about giving a man a fish vs teaching him to fish springs to mind.

- All that maths you did back in school now begins to make sense, I've used more maths in the last few years tinkering with files than I've ever used before, I didn't understand maths at all and hated it, now I can apply it to something, it finally starts to make sense.

- The DAMOS files out are not always right - merely use them as a guide!

- The EDC15C Funktionsbeschreibung is your friend, just learn technical German Smile

- There's a lot of amazing forum topics on this ECU and variants thereof, every time you read them, you'll learn something new!

- If you do decide to go down the road of wasting many hours pouring over how minuscule parts works, you'll realise you can't know everything, but you can begin to get an idea of what's going on and hopefully understand enough to make calculated changes.

I know I'm not precisely telling you how to do it, if I did that it'd be pointless, you'd not learn - I think the other guys on here who deal with mapping will agree... It's a huge learning curve, it may seem like nobody wants to help, it's not true, most people simply want others to find out for themselves, if people learn what to search for, it'll help them so much more in the long run!

HTH.

Thank you Ruan, that's actually helped me more than you think, I found I really good beginners guide last night after searching for a bit, it's the checksums I've got to figure out as the demo version doesn't do the checksums, so that's something I've got to address once if got my head around the basics lol I honestly felt like a tard last night when the guide was basically telling me to do everything opposite to what I was actually doin while guessin.

Iv just bought a passat pd130 cheap after sellin the derv banger and the guide is using a pd130 map as a reference so win win Smile