306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: NEEDED= WELDER for stainless (tig)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need a welder...

not the machine, the man!! (well he will need a machine!)

Three people/companies now have bailed on me... 

Basically I will be tacking up a manifold and will need all the joins done.

Happy to travel a distance within reason, need it done pretty soon, and need it done while I wait or pop into local town while being done Smile

please help and poor pig.

Payment in many currencies: £, beer, chocolate, car parts... Smile
i just change my wire to stainless in my mig, or i take to my mate at jek but normally have to get in line for his work!
(21-05-2015, 12:51 PM)Stef205 Wrote: [ -> ]i just change my wire to stainless in my mig, or i take to my mate at jek but normally have to get in line for his work!

I have done that, but mine is gasless so its crap

Would a gas mig just with the stainless wire do it though? I thought it needed to be a specific gas?
nope i welded my exhaust with stainless wire in my mig, just argon light gas, tig needs pure argon. Gasless migs arent worth the time tbh.

[Image: 83c11493.jpg]

This was the out come of the welding which is pretty good, Providing youve used decent walled tubing it will be ok.
Yeah I find my very cheap gasless mig with fluxed mig wire does a decent job, if its not flux cored...its awful.

I have managed to do my stainless exhaust joins ok, but its only structural...it aint pretty at all
Piggy iv got a clarke 90 pro only used a handful of times for sale if your interested Smile
Just use a MIG, I just swap gas and wire and carry on, Dont need a tig for manifold / exhaust really unless you want to make art, the pipe will be plenty thick enough to do with a MIG....
(21-05-2015, 03:51 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: [ -> ]Just use a MIG, I just swap gas and wire and carry on, Dont need a tig for manifold / exhaust really unless you want to make art, the pipe will be plenty thick enough to do with a MIG....

My mig is gasless mind.

I have just sent a message to Mickey Kellets about using their mig. As I have the wire, I am hoping I can go round with some beers and swap the reel and do it there

(21-05-2015, 02:09 PM)td_dan Wrote: [ -> ]Piggy iv got a clarke 90 pro only used a handful of times for sale if your interested Smile

maybe, message me with details?
Oh gasless mig might as well be in the bin hehe, fluxed cored mig tbh might as well just use a stick, maybe time to invest in a proper mig? Be well worth it in the long run....
If you feel like a trip down to Southampton, I can do it, I would have to purchase some stainless wire though.
(21-05-2015, 04:14 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: [ -> ]Oh gasless mig might as well be in the bin hehe, fluxed cored mig tbh might as well just use a stick, maybe time to invest in a proper mig? Be well worth it in the long run....

yeah my decent welder died last year mid job, so fastest and cheapest welder I could get me hands on. Fluxed cored makes a hell of a difference.

Still skint to be honest after all the parts recently...

but I am on the lookout for one.

(21-05-2015, 06:40 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: [ -> ]If you feel like a trip down to Southampton, I can do it, I would have to purchase some stainless wire though.

thanks for the offer....don't be surprised if I take you up on it!
Hehe of course it does, thats what the flux is for to shield the weld, just like the gas, you cant weld without either gas or flux, but if your going to use flux wire, its just as easy / to use a mig in my experience heh. I'd deffo highly recommend getting a proper gas MIG, Smile
Yeah I'd love one...going by the boxes though the mrs hasnt taken the hint with this years anniversary:-(
I'll be saving for a while to get the tig I want haha 

What thickness of pipe you using for the new manifold? 
(23-05-2015, 08:36 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: [ -> ]What thickness of pipe you using for the new manifold? 

We want pics Smile
(23-05-2015, 08:36 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be saving for a while to get the tig I want haha 

diameter or wall thickness?
(23-05-2015, 05:45 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-05-2015, 08:36 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be saving for a while to get the tig I want haha 

diameter or wall thickness?

Wall thickness 
(23-05-2015, 07:29 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-05-2015, 05:45 PM)Pigg Wrote: [ -> ]diameter or wall thickness?

Wall thickness 

2 x 4 inch blocks with a 2 inch cavity Tongue
(23-05-2015, 07:41 PM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-05-2015, 07:29 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-05-2015, 05:45 PM)Pigg Wrote: [ -> ]diameter or wall thickness?

Wall thickness 

2 x 4 inch blocks with a 2 inch cavity Tongue

nah I live in a cottage in the cotswolds...its about 4 feet lol