306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: crack noise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
pick up the wife saturday night and parked the car, switched off and got out of the car, just closed the door and a guiet load nasty sounding crack was heard.....opened door and started engine...it runs ok.
 crack seemed to be from o/s front ish.....

checked for a broken spring on sunday, all seems ok.

please could someone post or direct me to an exploded view of the front suspension, maybe the top strut spring plate needs some attention........need to know strut and top mounting, spring and top spring plate bits.

I assume the top spring plate turns with the strut??

thanks in advance.
Sure it was suspension related? Not a loose or snapped check strap on the door?

I don't have an exploded view but from spring up you have the spring, top plate, bearing, rubber mount, top cup and the nut. There's nothing to crack in the assembly. When the bearing dries out the steering usually gets heavy and notchy. The spring and top plate rotatoe on the bearing, the rest of the assembly stays stationary.
Yeah if it was whilst the door was being closed, I bet it's the check strap giving up. They make an awful cracking and generally broken noise lol
(18-05-2015, 11:42 AM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah if it was whilst the door was being closed, I bet it's the check strap giving up. They make an awful cracking and generally broken noise lol

as above. They get really bad! Check the pin is seated correctly.
Thought 306 checkstraps left the factory making a generally broken noise... lol Had a clicky one snap at 60k, 9 years old... Was opening the door of the 1.4 after it shat the contents of the cooling system through a blown rad hose... Ah Peugeot memories... Dodgy lol
I have one sat in my bedroom that I took of a car that was almost brand new.

Too scared to fit it as I know it'll start to sound broken within a week.
Thanks for the replies, didn't think off the door check strap!!

so, the spring is stationery on the strut, and the spring top plate rotates with the strut, on a bearing.....will have a good look up there asap, and the check strap. brilliant forum dudes! heart