306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: CAT D Vehicle rules/paperwork?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Browsing vehicles and Category D cars are coming up all over the place

Most can be rightly wary, but CAT D only refers to cosmetic damage outweighing the value of the car.

I've just phoned a dealer on a car i'm looking at and asking what paperwork comes with the car's CAT D status and he says paperwork from the RAC and similar are optional.

Is there any paperwork that MUST be presented. They're a warehouse dealership who have a fair few decent cars and a fairly reputable name. 

Tinternet states that CAT C or B vehicles need a VIC pass marker, but CAT D? not a lot of information

Quote:HPICheck.com
If a vehicle is damaged and an insurance claim is processed for it, the insurer will either authorise repairs to the vehicle, or write it off (declare it a total loss). If it is written off, it will be recorded in a write off category, A, B, C, or D. A and B cars are so badly damaged they should never appear back on the road. C and D vehicles can be repaired and returned to the road, but you should exercise caution with them, and check the repairs have been done correctly and fully. A vehicle inspection should be able to confirm the quality of repairs and general road worthiness of the vehicle. If you buy a category C (or B, if you're looking to break it for parts), make sure that it has a VIC pass markeragainst it otherwise you won't be able to get a new V5C registration document issued for it.

If anyone can give me a heads up on this, would appreciate it
Cat D is good to go afaik mate, just cosmetic so as the Cornish lot say, drash on Smile
If its a previous cat d you don't need paperwork, but it will be stated on the V5.

If its current cat d they won't issue log book without a vic check (personal experience last year).
Tom are you sure?
(02-05-2015, 10:04 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]If its a previous cat d you don't need paperwork, but it will be stated on the V5.

If its current cat d they won't issue log book without a vic check (personal experience last year).

the vehicle, since the CAT D, has passed an MOT also; would this not be affected by a illegitimate V5? Or, would that be, as you say, a 'previous' CAT D? 
little confused; how is a vehicle currently or previously a CAT D?
Think you're wrong tbh mate, sure they didn't cat c it? Smile
(02-05-2015, 10:23 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: [ -> ]Think you're wrong tbh mate, sure they didn't cat c it? Smile

Is that to me or Tom? Doh

The vehicle is definitely a CAT D and the insurers have told me they'll happily insure the car given it's had an MOT since the write off, which it has.
D does not need VIC.
(02-05-2015, 10:26 AM)ginge191 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2015, 10:23 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: [ -> ]Think you're wrong tbh mate, sure they didn't cat c it? Smile

Is that to me or Tom? Doh

The vehicle is definitely a CAT D and the insurers have told me they'll happily insure the car given it's had an MOT since the write off, which it has.

It was to Tom oh ginger one x
(02-05-2015, 10:27 AM)welshpug Wrote: [ -> ]D does not need VIC.

I know this much; i'm just wondering what it DOES need Smile  as browsing the interwebs, there's various sources mentioning reports of types, not a VIC as such, but RAC checks and similar
(02-05-2015, 10:29 AM)ginge191 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2015, 10:27 AM)welshpug Wrote: [ -> ]D does not need VIC.

I know this much; i'm just wondering what it DOES need Smile  as browsing the interwebs, there's various sources mentioning reports of types, not a VIC as such, but RAC checks and similar

You can always get a motoring organization to check any car over mate, it's just fir your peace of mind Smile
I was also under the impression cat d didn't need one...until I couldn't get a v5 without...which made scrapping the already stripped shell interesting lol. I'll see if I can find the letter.
Cat d means nothing isn't even on v5 only cat c is. I bought a cat c car before had mot paper in car so I didn't even have to mot it only a cat c needs vic
Well this is frustrating, I can't find the letter now. Sad

It was definitely Cat D, had the smashed rear quarter and bent boot floor, I said at the time it should've been higher than a D. Bought it for parts and asked the owner to leave the V5 in the car...he wouldn't (can't trust anyone these days I guess lol) so I got on with stripping the car anyway. About a week later I received a letter from DVLA saying they wouldn't issue a V5 without a VIC check. By that time it was just a shell...and the scrap yards wouldn't collect it without the V5. Dodgy In the end I had to go with a new yard who didn't ask about the V5 over the phone...the guy turned up and had to call several people (presumably at his office) before he reluctantly took it.

I won't be making the same mistake again lol! lol
So how do you know it was a cat d then? Did it mention it on the letter? Sounds like cat c damage at least tbh mate Smile
(02-05-2015, 11:25 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Well this is frustrating, I can't find the letter now. Sad

It was definitely Cat D, had the smashed rear quarter and bent boot floor, I said at the time it should've been higher than a D.  Bought it for parts and asked the owner to leave the V5 in the car...he wouldn't (can't trust anyone these days I guess lol) so I got on with stripping the car anyway.  About a week later I received a letter from DVLA saying they wouldn't issue a V5 without a VIC check.  By that time it was just a shell...and the scrap yards wouldn't collect it without the V5. Dodgy  In the end I had to go with a new yard who didn't ask about the V5 over the phone...the guy turned up and had to call several people (presumably at his office) before he reluctantly took it.

That sounds like a CAT C - boot floors would be a structural, surelly, rather than cosmetic.
Yeah it was on the letter, as I say it seemed odd at the time. It wouldn't have been cat D if I'd assessed it lol. Do cars stay on the HPI check for an amount of time after being scrapped? Or anything else that shows write off status? Gonna annoy me until I can prove either way now. Confused
In a Nutshell:

Cat A - Serious damage to structure/shell making repair dangerous -immediately crushed, all parts included (used for fatalities etc)
Cat B- As cat A damage wise shell to be crushed, serviceable parts can be removed prior
Cat C- Cost of repair outweighs Cost of vehicle worth,
Cat D -Cosmetic damage only, Time involved in repair uneconomical, (lead time for parts complexity of repair etc)

a 306 with rear end damage could quite feasibly be CatD, the parts are unavailable or would take ages to find so its a writeoff.

Perfectly fixable, however

my old vitara was Cat C in 2005, front end damage and side door, purely cosmetic, was bought, repaired with panels, MOTed and certified fine!

never had an issue with insurance.
(02-05-2015, 11:58 AM)toseland Wrote: [ -> ]In a Nutshell:

Cat A - Serious damage to structure/shell making repair dangerous -immediately crushed, all parts included (used for fatalities etc)
Cat B- As cat A damage wise shell to be crushed, serviceable parts can be removed prior
Cat C- Cost of repair outweighs Cost of vehicle worth,
Cat D -Cosmetic damage only, Time involved in repair uneconomical, (lead time for parts complexity of repair etc)

a 306 with rear end damage could quite feasibly be CatD,     the parts are unavailable or would take ages to find so its a writeoff.

Perfectly fixable, however

my old vitara was Cat C in 2005,  front end damage and side door, purely cosmetic,  was bought, repaired with panels, MOTed and certified fine!

never had an issue with insurance.

Isn't Cat D minor cosmetic damage where cost of repair outweighs cost of vehicle worth?

I've had a couple of cars written off as cat D for that reason. Didn't need to send logbook back or anything so new buyer wouldn't know a thing had i not told them.

Best to do a hpi check these days for that reason. Autotrader app is pretty good now as it automatically tells you if a car is a cat D/C at the top of the ad
We had this the other day.

Cat A - crush
Cat B - usually parts but they CAN be put back on the road (some don't believe this but they can)
Cat C - repair outweighs the value of the vehicle, can be structural. - needs VIC until Oct 15 when the VIC is no longer existent.
Cat D - Light non structural damage that outweighs the value.

In short, only a Cat B and C need a VIC check. VIC check won't exist after Oct 15.

Cat D you won't need or get any additional paperwork.

I'd buy a Cat D as long as you give it a good look over and get it at a good price, resale value will be affected.
I thought cat d didnt show on v5?
Well, I'm an idiot.  Yes, yes, I know we already knew that. lol

Was so damn sure it was cat D, even in my breaking thread back then I wrote cat D and how it didn't seem right.  Well judging by the title of the ad it was a Cat C afterall.  Hate it when I'm so sure about something but wrong, just makes me doubt even more lol. Confused I do apologise for causing confusion, sorry. Sad

[attachment=22958]

However, just to cause even more confusion, I did break another one that was a cat D due to a damaged bumper and rad. lol Just got given the V5 for that one so had no issue anyway. That was over 2 years ago, so a small scuff can easily cat D them now! lol
Haha kudos for admitting you were wrong mate, I did a lot of reading up last year after mine got written off cat b, knew I was right Wink x
(02-05-2015, 11:25 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Well this is frustrating, I can't find the letter now. Sad

It was definitely Cat D, had the smashed rear quarter and bent boot floor, I said at the time it should've been higher than a D.  Bought it for parts and asked the owner to leave the V5 in the car...he wouldn't (can't trust anyone these days I guess lol) so I got on with stripping the car anyway.  About a week later I received a letter from DVLA saying they wouldn't issue a V5 without a VIC check.  By that time it was just a shell...and the scrap yards wouldn't collect it without the V5. Dodgy  In the end I had to go with a new yard who didn't ask about the V5 over the phone...the guy turned up and had to call several people (presumably at his office) before he reluctantly took it.

you could have said you bought it from another breaker, so it was already scrapped, I told the yard who took my old shell away. They were going cube it anyway, the lads saw that I had used it as a donor car so they didn't care.