306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Hammer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, inexpensive hammer that would easily do the job of bashing the hubs off the bottom of the shocks? All I have is a small rubber mallet and it's doing absolutely nothing and the head is disintegrating.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ...l%20hammer

I've abused the hell out of mine daily for about three years and it's still great.
Ill second poodles choice, had one as an apprentice died after 3-4 years of daily abuse, I mean gentle use Itwasntme 
Now i use a mac antivibe, same as the stanley antivibe awesome hammers if you can find one
I tend to find a good selection of cheaper hammers is better than one good one. I have a rolson 10lb sledge, a wilko 1lb lump and cheap smaller hammers, always got the right tool for the job then and I've had some hubs need the sledge.
I use lump hammers for anything like hubs.
Really shouldn't need a sledge on anything car-related, Chris, there's this thing called technique... Rolleyes

Probably worth going into somewhere like machine mart amd seeing how they feel, some prefer a 24oz ball pein. As a do everything hammer it's hard to beat for the price though.
Stick a square drive in the hub split at the back and turn ThumbsUp
8mm hex key in the pinch slot and turn, shock should pull out easy if the bottom ball joint has been released Wink
I tend to use lump hammers for everything...got fed up with the little pussy hammers lol. But then again I'm an impatient bugger.

The 8mm key doesn't always work (hex or square), I've had a few that still wouldn't budge like that.
I'll take another look at it before investing in a bigger hammer, thanks guys.
The only thing on any of my cars I had to get the lump or sledge out to was the old seized axle, so far I haven't found much a 32oz can't shift
(28-04-2015, 09:00 PM)RetroPug Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, inexpensive hammer that would easily do the job of bashing the hubs off the bottom of the shocks? All I have is a small rubber mallet and it's doing absolutely nothing and the head is disintegrating.

Have i just read that correctly you want to bash hubs off with a hammer?!
Why dont you buy a small cheap puller instead of potentially bending something especially on the rear hubs. Hitting anything on a beam can do more damage than good.
(29-04-2015, 12:01 PM)Stef205 Wrote: [ -> ]Have i just read that correctly you want to bash hubs off with a hammer?!
Why dont you buy a small cheap puller instead of potentially bending something especially on the rear hubs. Hitting anything on a beam can do more damage than good.

i think he means the front hub carriers on the front shocks Wink
I meant knocking the hubs downwards off the bottom of the front shocks.

The rear beam has been replaced with a fully rebuilt one. No beams were harmed in the rebuilding of this vehicle. Big Grin
(29-04-2015, 06:09 AM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]Really shouldn't need a sledge on anything car-related, Chris, there's this thing called technique...
Yeah I get that but I like having a full 10lbs of technique
I go with gentle taps with the sledgehammer on the hub as well tbh
A decent sized copper mallet is what I'd want to use for knocking hubs off the bottom of struts - opening up the hubs is your best bet

I've also got one of these which is pretty good as an all round hitting stick

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-ball...-1kg/20156