306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Red Devil 1.9 D-Turbo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

So I am creating this thread to see the progress of the lil Red Devil over time.

I will get some decent pics this weekend of her, she isnt in tip-top shape, but for a 1997 car I cant ask for too much more either.

At the moment I have identified the following issues:
1. Speedo drive sensor/cable isnt working as expected. The rev counter doesnt work, and only when the car gets really hot does it work. My replacement arrived today, I'll be fitting it this weekend.
2. Front suspension seems lower than it should be, no dropped suspension so I suspect either the shocks have collapsed or just need replacing.
3. Front suspension squeaks, so need to check all the rubber bushes on the wishbone/balljoints/tie-rod ends etc.
4. Currently a 2 seater, I will convert it to a 5 seater in the near future.
5. Need new headlights that sizzle the eyeballs of on-lookers. I used to have Hella 4000K on my Polo, so want something like Osram Nightbreakers etc. I do not want relays and transformers if possible, ie. HID kit.
6. New gearknob, already ordered from China, hopefully its decent quality and doesnt melt in heat Tongue
7. Tailgate gas struts need replacing. Super expensive to get in Cyprus so trying to import from the UK. In Cyprus they want 30 Euro EACH shock.
8. Possibly need a new rear engine mount, need to check the condition as I have a slight oil drip that comes from the top (cambox) all the way down.
9. Glow plugs need replacing as I have to turn ignition on twice before she starts properly. Need to see if I am going to investigate which plug is gone and buy one or 2 Bosch Glow Plugs, or just get these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181639217615. Any advice on these?
10. Roof beadings need replacing as the sun has warped them.
11. Driver door panel needs new clips, and the clips for the front plastic under the headlight also needs replacing.

That's pretty much it Smile Heres one pic I have of her so far, she has 97000 miles on her
Let me know what you guys think so far Smile
For glow plugs buy Bosch or Beru, don't mess about with any others.
Hey guys,

So I started doing some work on my car so far. I stripped the cage out so that I could convert it to a 5 seater soon (currently only 2).

I changed my gearknob, its not the original but its ok for now I guess.
I went ahead and threw in a set of lock nuts to keep my wheels safe, not that anyone would steal them anyone I hope Tongue

Now onto the parts where I need some help please

I have attached 3 pics, the first is showing a cable that I found while trying to change my pollen filter which is identical to the following item.
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PEUGEOT-306-NEW-C...41877ef5e0

What does that cable do? I also noted that the little electric motor that controls the plastic flaps dont move, looks like the lil motor is damaged (one just behind where my hand is).
Furthermore HOW the hell do I change that filter? No clue where the thing sits even, stripped half of the dash out and couldnt see it.

Next was the clutch, its been feeling really hard! To the point where my knee has started giving me some annoyance. I noticed that when I messed with the clutch and stamped a bit it was better. But it goes back to being hard. What does that little spring and shock thingy do? How do you remove it if needed?

Lastly my clutch cable doesnt look like its sitting correctly, from that pic, do you think the angle of the cable coming in is incorrect? Could that contribute to a hard pedal?

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it...

Oh and whats next to do:
- Fix clips on the doors - the ones that hold the panel onto the metal frame
- Put the rear seats in and re-register
- Reupholster the seats and get the door lining sorted (its peeling off)
- Put my speedo sensor in so my rev counter works correctly
- Replace some rubber piping for air/oil return as there are some leaks here and there
- Put in my AC Delco Glow Plugs

Rofl

Have a good day all!
That wire is an airbag connection, i assume it's for the airbag above the dash, failing that it's probably surplus to requirements. If memory serves the air duct flaps are controlled by cable, not a motor. The 306 doesn't have a pollen filter. Remove that spring with a screwdriver and a bit of ignorance, it's a common issue with clutch pedal issues, there's a guide on it.
(15-06-2015, 05:23 AM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]That wire is an airbag connection, i assume it's for the airbag above the dash, failing that it's probably surplus to requirements. If memory serves the air duct flaps are controlled by cable, not a motor. The 306 doesn't have a pollen filter. Remove that spring with a screwdriver and a bit of ignorance, it's a common issue with clutch pedal issues, there's a guide on it.

Thank you for the heads up Smile 

Ok so if I cant change the pollen filter, how do I get the aircon smelling a bit better? when I switch it on it smells a bit "damp" and thought it would be that... LOL! Ignorance on my part but the fact it was sold I thought it was relevant. 

I am a little concerned removing the assist spring as my clutch is biting exceptionally high. I would rather get the bite point right down and then take the spring off, in the event that it doesnt bite properly and then I cannot drive the car... 

I appreciate the help guys, and will get some pics uploaded as soon as I clean her soon Smile
You can get aircon bombs and cleaning products from any good motorfactors, haven't used anything apart from the Kent branded stuff at work, so can't really recommend anything. You should be able to take the filter back, the seller should have known the 306 never got a pollen filter in Britain.

I'd suggest having a look for that guide mate, it explains just how useless the spring is. Best thing you can do for the biting point is sacking off the spring and resetting the self-adjuster, anything else you try will sooner or later be f*cked up by the spring and go back to how it is at the moment.
Poodle, thank you kindly for your replies sir, much obliged.

However, I dont know if my car originated from the UK. I live in Cyprus at the moment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POLLEN-CABIN-F...0901067936
If you do a search for a 1997 Peugeot 306 Hatch 1.9TD you will see it states the filter is applicable. I ordered this online so doubt it is easy to send it back. Was really hoping I would have one as I know its fixed funny aircon smells in other cars...

Re the self-adjuster, my clutch is a cable pull type. So I dont know if there is a self adjusting part. I should be able to tweak it however. Will report back my findings Smile
Ahah, i completely missed that detail, my bad! And another, in fact; i've been answering the questions on the basis that it's an HDi... Blush

In which case, i don't have the faintest idea how the dt cables adjust, sorry. The 205 cable is adjusted by means of a threaded end to the cable where it passes through the clutch arm, could well be the same. The pollen filter rule should still apply, according to servicebox it was never an option for RHD vehicles. If you bought it online i can see how returning it would be a problem though, bugger.
Hey guys,

After all my questions, heres some pics Smile The one is from my road when I fitted the lights (ps that was approx 8 at night I think). And the other was taken near the top of Mount Olympus in Cyprus (Troodos). After the hill climb my poor car was hot as anything. I literally got concerned and thought something bad was happening Tongue

I changed the lights to 4500K H4 Bulbs with a Blue Tint. Cant really see them properly but looks pretty slick. Didnt improve my actual lights much sadly Sad Not like Nightbreakers etc...

Work done recently on her:
- Stripped the clutch assist spring off, helped quite a bit in terms of hardness of the clutch
- Bought rear seats and seat belts, to be fitted and re-registered shortly
- Got some tailgate struts off one in a scrapyard for an absolute steal, changed those and they working well
- Lock nuts put on (not that I need them, but hey, cant be too safe right?!)
- Checked the clutch cable, think I most likely need a new one. Shes feeling stiff even after the spring was removed

Things to do still;
- Put glowplugs (never ending story this one!). Dont have the tools at the moment
- Put rear seats in
- Fix starter. Solenoid occasionally is getting stuck so its not turning over. Just makes a click sound.
Just a quick update. I have changed the glow plugs and she is still taking 2 rounds of ignition to get warm.

Next to check is the glow plug relay, from what I can see to test it, get someone to turn the key, and wait for 15 secs and should hear a 2nd click.
What else can i do to test? voltmeter across the positive & negative?

Starter motor only seemed to get stuck twice so far, but its enough to make me feel like getting it refurbed.

I will be taking her to Limassol and then Protaras (to the beach) this weekend. So expect to see a few pics here Smile

Oooh and another thing I almost forgot about. The speedo sensor doesnt work correctly, had the car up on a jack and couldnt seem to find it, where is the speedo sensor located on a XUD Dutrbo.

Have a good day all!
Your starting issue may be down to air in the fuel, very common problem. Prime suspects are the fuel filter housing and heat exchanger, assuming you can't see leaks anywhere else, around the pump for example.

Speed sensor/drive (can't remember which on these, pretty sure it's the latter...) goes into the diff housing, just above the drivers side shaft.
Hey guys,

A pic of my clean baby Smile

Changed out the glowplugs but still seeing long wait times and multiple ignition on's to get her started. Relay is clicking on and off but gotta check contacts and what not Smile

Hopefully try fit the seatbelts in sometime soon so its out the way! She is coming along nicely I think.

Let me know what you think
Ok so I havent done all that much work lately on my car, its been too damn hot to work outside usually Tongue

But here is the progress of my work on Sunday. I got a hold of clips that could open the rear windows on a 3dr. Scrounged them up from a scrapyard and fitted them, work a trick Smile

I do however need some advice, I wanted to mount the rear seatbelt mechanism but cant seem to figure it out entirely.
So I can see where the mechanism mounts, thats straight forward. The end of the seatbelt mounts on the floor which also makes sense, but then there is another part that needs to be mounted and Im not sure where. Do I need to take the plastic door cover off to expose it or what?
Does anyone have pics of their rear seatbelts so that I can get an idea of how it should look? Sadly these were stripped off another car so I cannot replicate that since someone else stripped them off.

Thanks for the help!

Ignore the latest, found this thread somehow and it shows it Wink

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/archive/index.p...227-2.html

Thanks Niall!
Whats up peeps,

I did some work on the weekend on the car. I changed the linkages to the updates steel ones and then tried to fit the backseat belts in and was not able to complete it. And also got some fancy new Bosche Aerotwin windscreen wipers Smile

The gear linkages were pretty straight forward but damn this mechanic who looked after the car is a punk. He put silicone on the damaged linkages and he thought it was acceptable. Idiota!

The problem though, the linkage deteched from the round knuckle part so I need to jimmy them out with various tools and its not easy to get in there either.

Then next I checked the seatbelts out and seems they have a locking mechnism, so basically in the event of an accident the seatbelt locks itself. I opened the one mechanism and by change it was the spring Tongue I wound it up again and thankfully put it together ok. I then opened the other side and figured out how to release the mechanism, but still it doesnt change the fact that to mount them was a pain as I am unable to take the plastic cover off from where the belt mounts Sad I need to get the license to convert the car to a saloon and then can get access to it...

And here is a pic in Episkopi, went for a nice drive to Paphos and stopped along the way. I hope you like the pics Smile
The seatbelts probably need to be in the upright position in order to release, most do. Have you found your air leak yet?
Hey Poodle, so I found a 2nd hand glow plug relay and fitted that in the hope of helping. It seems that either the sensor that detects when its "at temperature" is damaged or not enough volts are going through to the glow plugs I reckon.

Re air in the system, cant see anything obvious but then again I have a few small oil drips which MAY be fuel so just need to change my piping a bit (if I can find the right parts that is).

I hit 99999 km's on the car so thats quite cool Smile