306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: VSR turbo balancing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Need a blower balanced.

My local company, owen developments, wont do it unless they rebuild it, no surprises there.

Anyone reccomend somewhere????
You should get an Owen Developments turbocharger, problem solved.
no turbo company will balance a turbo, not built by themselves. Anywhere.

And if you DO find somewhere that does, avoid them at all costs, as they clearly dont give a rats ass about supplying something that they know will last more than 20 seconds.
I hate advice like this.

You get everyone saying you cannot rebuild a turbo unless you go get it VSR balanced....

Fine. I totally agree. A weight on a shaft in the wrong place at 200k rpm is not good.

Then when you do intend to get is VSR'd all you hear is people saying it cant/wont be done!

#rant

(16-04-2015, 04:15 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]You should get an Owen Developments turbocharger, problem solved.

Too right.

Wana buy me one for being awesome? Smile
(16-04-2015, 08:17 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-04-2015, 04:15 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]You should get an Owen Developments turbocharger, problem solved.

Too right.

I WANT to buy you one but I cant afford to buy you one.
(16-04-2015, 08:17 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]I hate advice like this.

You get everyone saying you cannot rebuild a turbo unless you go get it VSR balanced....

Fine. I totally agree. A weight on a shaft in the wrong place at 200k rpm is not good.

Then when you do intend to get is VSR'd all you hear is people saying it cant/wont be done!

#rant

Too right.

Why don't you do a video rant on it?
This place will do just the balance for 50 quid.

http://www.turborebuild.co.uk/turbo-balancing.html
(17-04-2015, 10:50 AM)r3k1355 Wrote: [ -> ]This place will do just the balance for 50 quid.

http://www.turborebuild.co.uk/turbo-balancing.html

Thats just a rotor balance though.
And the new billet rotor comes balanced already
think of it this way... if you built a house, then asked a builder to put his name against it, without even looking inside, do you think he'd say ok, or would he just laugh at you?

Most of the issues would be:
*correct torque on the compressor nut,
*bearings that aren't made from a piece of chewing gum,
*that the pieces are actually placed in the correct order, and orientation (the oil thrower washer things either side of the thrust bearing)
*that the oilways in the centre housing are clean, and not filled with grit

There's so many things they would have no idea about, which could potentially wreck the turbo - and a customer who paid to just get it balanced, may end up with a piece of scrap, but STILL had to pay for the service. It's simply safer for both parties
We use Turbo Dynamics but I suspect they'd say no too...
Why not just get it "regularly balanced" and be done with it? Doesnt look like this is going to work out in your favour. Theres an add on ebay for a company who will do it.
Coz I dont need the rotors balanced. They are ready balanced.
I need the whole unit balanced.
I built my turbo and bring balance smoothly. There are several empreses repairing turbo balancing without prblemas you, and give you a sheet with balanced graph.
They charge between 50 and 70 euros.
(30-04-2015, 02:03 PM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbocharger-T...4ac3d618a3

There, do that.

dood, you have already suggested that and I have already told you that service is NOT what I need!  Itwasntme
I must be missing the point... They balance all of what spins lol What is left?
(02-05-2015, 08:06 PM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]I must be missing the point... They balance all of what spins lol What is left?

it's just not the same tom
(02-05-2015, 09:00 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2015, 08:06 PM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]I must be missing the point... They balance all of what spins lol What is left?

great explanation :p
(02-05-2015, 09:36 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2015, 09:00 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]

great explanation :p

thanks. I thought so too [sarcasm]

...let me try and even greater one... [more sarcasm]

Essentially its like balancing your wheel and tyre. Which is fine. You get no steering wheel wobble etc.

But your wheels don't spin to 200,000rpm. If they did then the whole shaft/hub/bearing/disc/wheel assembly would need assembling and balancing as one unit. Now I realise this doesn't directly relate to a turbo which has no dsic and hub and driveshaft with cv joints... But once you put all the components into a turbo CHRA then you are now introducing other possible balancing/vibration factors. IE bearings and seals.
[not sarcasm]

oh and the shaft, turbine and billet wheel are already all balanced...so balls to it all anyway...lets see if she goes bang
Yeah drash on, yours will be fine (not sarcasm)
I give it 500-1000 miles before it's shagged Wink

Although, I've seen home-built turbos die after half an hour of running too. Makes quite a mess on the dyno
blah blah blah blah blah

This is proper typical of internet advice.

"never rebuild your turbo without getting it balanced afterward"...

"oh by the way, no one will do that for you"

"oh and by the way I will now laugh at your cost and expense and hard work when it goes wrong"

brilliant as always.
I've had a turbo sat on my bench I'm *dying* to fit, for over 6 months.... but it needs a rebuild. So on the bench it stays.

If it needs a rebuild, it's a pro job. Rebuilding turbos is simply not something that can be done at home - it's literally the only real thing that CAN'T be done at home on a diesel engine.
I have tried a few rebuilds without balancing and they have always been fine, my current turbo is 40k old and was not balanced when I made it.
(04-05-2015, 12:31 AM)HDi--Power Wrote: [ -> ]I have tried a few rebuilds without balancing and they have always been fine, my current turbo is 40k old and was not balanced when I made it.

did you fit upgrades/replacement parts?
I reprofiled the turbine wheel, jammapic did the same to his turbo and it survived also.
I too have rebuilt a couple, just new bearings and seals etc... never had any probs afterwards.
well she is rebuilt. I have one company left to try and if a no go, then she gets fitted as it is.

I would really like to get it done tbh. Be a pukka blower then, I would have that bit extra confidence in it.
No promises, but they advertise near my work.

[Image: kBHKDLR.jpg]
none of the above would help, some didnt even reply to my enquiries.

But.....a little birdy dropped me a number. One call later.... turbo is on its way to Dorset tomorrow to be all checked over, torqued up and balanced Smile

I'll be so much more confident now...a weight has been lifted to be honest Smile
Pages: 1 2