306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Laptop advice.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Guys,

Just need a bit of advice for a laptop as I know we have loads of IT superguys on here.

It does not need to be anything special, basically my missus uses it for the sims 3 and other crap.

I have an asus UX31e which does all the above, but now there is no more space on the SSD, 128 standard. plus I like to use mine for Lightroom and my photography stuff all of which I have removed for the time being.

I have already got her a nice present for her birthday so only looking a £200 odd I think.

cheers in advance for any advice.
Are you looking at a big screen, medium or small?

Does it have to be new? There are decent second hand ones out there...have a butchers in your local CEX, they have decent ones from time to time...they also have a website and can deliver, if you wanna risk it Wink

Hope that helps for now, I'll try and help you further.
Probably best looking for one with an AMD Fusion processor, they've got a semi-decent GPU built onto the CPU.

They're awesome chips in laptops, totally piss all over the shit graphics you get on lower end intel chips.
(09-04-2015, 09:30 AM)r3k1355 Wrote: [ -> ]Probably best looking for one with an AMD Fusion processor, they've got a semi-decent GPU built onto the CPU.

They're awesome chips in laptops, totally piss all over the shit graphics you get on lower end intel chips.

I second this Wink

Although (I'm gonna get shot for this) MacBook Pro's aren't too bad :o

*ducking the flak for this*

They are alright for photography stuff... pls be gentle guys
Yea but there's such a premium on Mac items, at the 200 quid price range the only way you'll get anything decent is if it's been stolen.
Second hand. My asus is 13" which is more than enough. Though bigger is ok too.

My Asus has the 2nd Gen i7 processor which works well on the Sims, which is what she plays most.
Get yourself on eBuyer. I picked a quadcore HP up for circa £200. Stupidly quick delivery too.. I ordered in the early hours of a Sunday morning, was here by Monday morning.
Already looking on ebay. Its just finding something that will suit her needs and be able to run other games in the future.
I didn't say eBay.
yea missed that. ebuyer I have had a look on too.
Bought a hp dv6 dual core amd with a dedicated graphics card (not the intel hd rubbish) from ebuyer for £350 about 5 years ago and it's still going strong.
Would defiantly recommend ebuyer although I think their prices having be going up over the years, still very competitive
Last laptop we got was from Currys IIRC.

Their prices matched that of anyone we could find online.
(09-04-2015, 11:07 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: [ -> ]Get yourself on eBuyer. I picked a quadcore HP up for circa £200. Stupidly quick delivery too.. I ordered in the early hours of a Sunday morning, was here by Monday morning.
Just ordered exactly the same for a pal.

I got ten for my work a few months back. With cashback. Bargain.
All of the newer generation chips from both intel and AMD also have a built in GFX chip, and both are equally as good.

intel chips, at the moment, generally are better however above the i5 range.
Just whatever you do don't buy hp, dell or acer
(11-04-2015, 08:30 PM)deggerz Wrote: [ -> ]Just whatever you do don't buy hp, dell or acer

My HP has been nothing but perfect.
I used to work in a repair environment mate and you could garuntee those 3 took up 95% of your workload either with board failure or gpu failure requiring reflow/reball, if you want reliability Lenovo or Toshiba imho, I'm not saying every single one of the other brands will go wrong just that's what I saw the most on a daily basis
(11-04-2015, 08:50 PM)deggerz Wrote: [ -> ]I used to work in a repair environment mate and you could garuntee those 3 took up 95% of your workload either with board failure or gpu failure requiring reflow/reball, if you want reliability Lenovo or Toshiba imho, I'm not saying every single one of the other brands will go wrong just that's what I saw the most on a daily basis

While I'm not disputing your view, one thing to consider is those are generally at the cheaper end of the scale meaning they are more likely to get treated like shit than a £500+ laptop.
They're not really at the cheap end of the scale, even the £1000+ kit I was still pulling boards out on a daily basis,
(11-04-2015, 09:33 PM)deggerz Wrote: [ -> ]They're not really at the cheap end of the scale, even the £1000+ kit I was still pulling boards out on a daily basis,

Ah yeah, I was thinking more about the £300 Dells or Acers people buy.
Even at the cheap end the same pattern takes place, if I'm honest the only thing I'd ever use hp or dell for is their enterprise kit which is absolutely brilliant
(11-04-2015, 09:33 PM)deggerz Wrote: [ -> ]They're not really at the cheap end of the scale, even the £1000+ kit I was still pulling boards out on a daily basis,

Or the fact that 10% of a million is more than 10% of a thousand? 
I was waiting for someone to say that but I have managed IT in schools some with 600+ laptops, and even there the same pattern emerged, obviously people are going to have different experiences but this is mine and I like to consider myself as extremely experienced in my field