306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: engine block XU10J4 vs. XU10J4RS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I´m owner of 306 GTi-6 just for 3 years, but now my engine block is broken (cracked). I spent many hours checking Internet, but could not find exact and clear answer, if I can replace my XU10J4RS engine block with XU10J4 (306 S16 112 kW, 5-speed gearbox) without any modifications. Are these blocks the same (means replacable)? Or are there any differences that excludes or obstacles this change? Will my engine work properly with XU10J4 engine block?
Thanx for any answer.
Youre in the czech republic so I presume getting hold of a J4RS is a problem...
the RFY J4 block is in essence identical, just different components bolted to it, different dipstick location and some breathers different.

the crank is the same part number, you need to swap EVERY other part.

the rfv 135 BHP 2.0 16V engine is closer in design, however not all of them have the oil squirters in the block, early ones do later ones dont.
so if i buy completely dressed block XU10J4 (containing all components), it might be able to run normally (with all others from XU10J4RS)?
you would need to swap the conrods and pistons and cylinder head, all the timing gear.
I thought these things I keep from XU10J4 block. Sad Do you think, that I have exchange them for my XU10J4RS parts or others?
if you want to build another XU10J4RS then yes you need to fit all the good parts you have.
plus the bores are well known to wear quickly, making swapping pistons near impossible
Thank you for all posts. Smile So I cancel the plan for the exchange. Sad
Can someone please tell me what xu... Number my engine is, it's a 1.8 petrol xs 1999
1.8i 16V is XU7JP4 Smile
Thanks a lot man