306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Pressing in trailing arm shafts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I dismantled my beam I stupidly didn't note down many measurements. I need to press in the new trailing arm shafts and assumed there would be a step on the shaft to push it in to. There isn't though so I need to know how far in to press it. I assume it just goes in so that it is flush with the other side?

Thanks, Ben
Having looked at the trailing arms again there is slight corrosion for a few mm from the outer, so it looks like the shafts were pushed right in and the surface has been allowed to corrode under the chamfer of the shaft. Would still be good to hear from someone with experience as I'm guessing you have to be quite precise with how far in they go.
2mm
I'm watching and learning on this bit as well...........still don't know what actually holds the swing arms in...ie what stops them from coming out??

grease nipple placement and location mod?
As Mei says, the trailing arm shafts shouldn't be pressed in flush but rather recessed by 2-3mm - this is what the foam ARB seal sits in. If you press the arms in flush, the ARB end plate ends up sitting proud of the arm and may foul the tyre.

The arms are effectively held in place by the torsion bars, the M8 fixings on either end when unloaded and the weight on the splines when loaded.

Grease nipples don't solve the underlying issues, merely prolong the time between water ingress and complete failure. You're better off stripping the beam every few years for a re-grease and seal replacement IMO.
Ok cheers guys, I'll press them in soon once I've finished de-rusting the arms. Took it apart last summer so I'm struggling to remember how it was!