306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: GTi6 Track Rod change; question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a quick question; looking at buying a pair of track rods for the '6, and i know the steering lock differences from left to right etc.

Is that due to a shorter track rod on one side or is it the steering rack itself? or is there an actual lock elsewhere? Looking at buying the track rods from ECP and I know they often send slightly wrong parts.

Also; I assume they're the same both side? again, adds confusion to the steering lock issue.

Any clarity on this would be appreciated!

Looking at either

This one by Lemforder  or this one by Ocap

So reusing this thread; took my car to a friend who works at National Tyres to have the track rods changes, not something they usually do apparently, anyway, got a call after and hour said they've had a look and they cant do it?

There's something extra attached to the steering rack, N/S? O/S is fine, and is a screw off/on jobby, but apparently they couldn't do the N/S.

I've been given a number for another mechanic who will have more time, what on earth are these guys on about? What is this mystery that they cannot do or take off??

Any information on this would be great.
Same both side, same lengths. There's a lock stop on the rack to limit RH lock Wink
Many thanks for that! Big Grin
First post updated;.
take it to a proper garage, by the sound of it I wouldn't even trust that place to fit a wheel properly!

The track rods are identical left to right, just a different boot on the left which pushes on, has a bonded metal ring inside it hence no clip.

you don't touch the inner boot.

[Image: 1091-040512-11644-PTIMG.jpg]
(28-02-2015, 01:29 PM)welshpug Wrote: [ -> ]take it to a proper garage, by the sound of it I wouldn't even trust that place to fit a wheel properly!

The track rods are identical left to right, just a different boot on the left which pushes on, has a bonded metal ring inside it hence no clip.

you don't touch the inner boot.

[Image: 1091-040512-11644-PTIMG.jpg]

So in theory; if you disconnected the TRE from the hub and just twist, they'll unscrew as normal?

Yeh im a little pissed off to be fair; they were all confident in sorting them, but didn't persist at all.
you need to pull the inner boot off and undo the inner joint, just taking the TRE off and turning it will do nothing, same for either side.
I'm ordering new boots also;

Left side (N/S)
Right side (O/S)

Someone confirm or reject these pleeease.
Did you even look at the picture above of what the parts look like?

Those you've linked to are non-PAS by the look of the picture. On a PAS rack there's a stubby rubber "boot" on the nearside covering the inner track rod joint, not a gaiter.
(06-03-2015, 04:41 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: [ -> ]Did you even look at the picture above of what the parts look like?

Those you've linked to are non-PAS by the look of the picture.  On a PAS rack there's a stubby rubber "boot" on the nearside covering the inner track rod joint, not a gaiter.

ebay pictures are often generic, similar to ECP pictures.

So these are not the right parts?

Similarly, this kit supposedly fits XU10J4
doesn't include the 3rd cover which needs peeling back to do the ns track rod.
As Mei says, the NS track rod boot/cover is missing.

The application list is clearly a load of crap too, as there's cars on there which never had PAS and cars on there which only had PAS - and since the gaiter kit is different for both, it can't possibly fit all the cars on that list.

Buying parts on eBay is a minefield unless you know exactly what you're needing as a result of dubious pictures and usually completely wrong application lists. Your local motorfactor would probably be a better bet.
(22-02-2015, 02:28 PM)allanallen Wrote: [ -> ]Same both side, same lengths. There's a lock stop on the rack to limit RH lock Wink

No there isn't. It's the PAS ram that is different.
It's really difficult to cock up changing tre's on a 306...
TRE's are easy, track rods themselves are slightly more involved/awkward but hardly difficult.
So, the "kit" above, will fit the boots but wont replace the ram gaiter? the gaiter which is held with 2 annoying round clips? correct?
nope.
(06-03-2015, 10:01 PM)welshpug Wrote: [ -> ]nope.

could you point me in the direction of the correct boots?
or anyone have servicebox codes for them please
4066 43 D/S Boot
4066 22 P/S Boot
4066 16 P/S Outer Boot (The small one)