306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: strange steering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Iam having an issue when screening but only when turning right hard to explain but I suppose it's like it's not steering and then suddenly it is only happens when wheel is turned at a certain angle doesn't affect any other aspect off steering just worried one day it's going to catch me out iam going to over correct and end up in a bish or worse a parked car any help would be appreciated
Some additional info that may help the break pad sticks a little on that side when breaking disc may be warped don't know if that may be causing it off course I have checked to see if it's just a loose wheel but that surely would affect more than just turning right
P bush? Knackered beam?
All I read there was expensive lol yeah well I'll need that confirmed as I don't know how to check them may require a garage to tell me but let's see what others think before I go rushing out and spending money that might be saved if it is something straight forward
Ok, bit more info then, the P bush is the rubber bush at the rear of the front wishbones, they are a common fail on these. Usually the rubber perishes but sometimes the bolts just fall out so worth a check as soon as you can tbh.

Rear beams are also a common fail on these, the bearings wear and the wheels start leaning inwards, but the lean changes on corners which can give some odd rear end steering feels.
Ah I see should be easy enough to check then I'll check next time iam out at the car
if an assistant ( who you trust with your life! ) sits in the car with the engine running ( all safety issues covered, right ) and moves the steering to your command, you may be able to see/feel movement where it aint supposed to be......you will be lieing on the floor with your head cloase tyo a wheel gap and looking etc.

be carefull, small steering wheel inputs to your command.

you know of the roller andlever ball joint movement checking tool??

a bit of scaffolding tube say 1 foot long with a convienient lever welded to it.

you drive the wheel to be checked onto the roller with the lever set to a convieneint angle, use the lever to "rock" the wheel and look see.

brilliant and simple idea, I must make one.

you have access to a pit??
Almost sounds like an ovalled hub
No access to pit I'll see if my mechanic mate can look at it there is no knocking sound or anything and seem to do it less after driving for a bit wich is strange or maybe it's just me expecting it to happen
may be water is "lubing" the knock......he shouild be able to "see" and "feel" any play etc......however make sure it isn't the pads moving etc.......ticking noise for the drive joint to hub splines maybe.......not so likely on the over run or when brakes applied........but you never knows.....
Time will tell great wee mechanic round corner from me hot my 20 year old Honda prelude through mot for around 100 when other garages were quoting 3 times that so good prices and good service only room for 1 or 2 cars though so often have to wait a few days for a space
Tbh just sounds like a knackered beam, you do get used to it when you've been driving with it a while because it is a fairly predictable movement if you drive consistently.

Test it on a wet (edit: and empty lol!) car park or something by poking it into lift-off oversteer, if it's fairly violent when it goes then you know what the problem is. Big Grin
So an update I had to replace the near side ball joint and the rear beam is knackered will need replaced to far gone for replacement he says he will fit it for 100 if I can source one for him they are coming in at around 200 or 300 fitted not sure what route to go down