306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Front wheel issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I bought the car, it was listed as cv joint or ball joint offside front needed doing. I haven't got round to sorting it yet and tbh cba Tongue the symptoms I have are its pulling to the right big time, steering feels vague to say the least and when parking or turning wheels at slow speeds it clonks and twangs like mad, when I say twang it sounds like a piece of metal under tension?!? And sounds like knuckles cracking. I Was thinking bottom arms/P bushes but have also thought cv joint. What tha reckon? It is getting slowly worse so I am going to get it sorted, just scared of a big bill and kinda trying to preempt it!!
If it's twanging it's most likely your top mount is shot and the spring can't rotate properly, the tension builds up when you turn the wheel and the spring skips round under tension, hence the twang noise
Broken spring if its pulling as well. Jack it up and have a look
(11-02-2015, 06:01 AM)Paul_13 Wrote: [ -> ]If it's twanging it's most likely your top mount is shot and the spring can't rotate properly, the tension builds up when you turn the wheel and the spring skips round under tension, hence the twang noise

Hmm I had considered top mount and have thought when it's been parked at work it's slightly down on that side but put it down to uneven surface. We'll see I'll have a look later Wink cheers for the help as always Smile
Didn't get a chance to look today, found out I don't have a jack Sad and I've come down with tonsillitis so it'll have to wait a little longer
It's either a broken spring or knackered cv, could be more than one problem. Sounds like it needs fixing now lol.
(12-02-2015, 06:16 AM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]It's either a broken spring or knackered cv, could be more than one problem. Sounds like it needs fixing now lol.

I know Sad I'm not going to be using it over the next week or so hence there's no immediate urgency but yeah I agree it needs sorting Wink
Also as always money is an issue and i'm scared that it'll be a big bill Confused trying to hold off till pay day but dont know if i can, My wifes polo is going in for EGT sensor replacement monday at a nice cost of about £230 :O

Well i'm taking it to a mates garage this afternoon so i guess we'll find out. He said because it's doing it when it's stationary it's more likely to be top mount or spring or something than CV but i guess we'll see Confused
Well I'm back from the garage, the verdict........top mounts both sides but drivers side is knackered. Booked in for Saturday Wink
Thought it would be
(12-02-2015, 05:21 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: [ -> ]Thought it would be
Was a good shout buddy Wink thanks for your help.
you can get those top mounts made by skf as a boxed pair with new bearings for 40 from eurocarparts
(12-02-2015, 09:30 PM)vinny Wrote: [ -> ]you can get those top mounts made by skf as a boxed pair with new bearings for 40 from eurocarparts

Yep that's exactly what I'm gettingWink
So Ive had the top mounts and drop links done. No graunching any more but still pulls to the right and when I brake or accelerate there's a knock. I'm thinking bottom arm? But as I've just forked out it'll have to wait. CBA!
Anyone?
P bushe related? All the bolts present /tight?

Gear box mount done up?
Well just back from garage....again lol o/s p bush has cracked but marginal play. O/s front brake is slighty binding and going to get the tracking done.
well, I can safely say that the issue of vague steering, crap handling and pulling about all over the place has been sorted.........how you may ask Tongue simples............turned out the tracking was MILES out Big Grin £18 and sorted.
It's night and day honestly. I absolutely love it now. Great handling, turns in sharp and doesn't chuck you about the place when trying to put the power down and i can take corners at more than 20-30mph without the worry of understeering into a bush Tongue and trust me i will be using all the power and the awesome handling to the max Tongue
I just can't believe how much difference the tracking being out made. I was looking at everything else, bottom arms, shocks, tyres, cv joints and it was just tracking.
LOL sorry for the rant.......but I'm honestly over the moon and gobsmacked and in love with my pug Big Grin
£18 for tracking? Damn!
(27-02-2015, 12:59 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]£18 for tracking? Damn!

Most places I know of are about £15. This place was round the corner from my house so convenience more than price obv Wink
Most places round here are £25-35!
(27-02-2015, 08:58 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: [ -> ]Most places round here are £25-35!

This!! I meant it sounded cheap lol.
(27-02-2015, 09:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]

This!! I meant it sounded cheap lol.

It's the yorkshire way......tight Wink
(27-02-2015, 11:01 PM)Bassman85 Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-02-2015, 09:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]

This!!  I meant it sounded cheap lol.

It's the yorkshire way......tight Wink

We are a tight bunch
(12-02-2015, 09:30 PM)Ivinny Wrote: [ -> ]you can get those top mounts made by skf as a boxed pair with new bearings for 40 from eurocarparts

Don't pay that much for them kyb or febi will be cheaper! Knowing euro they won't even be skf in the box! waste of time that place they sell white boxed shit from China and poach everyone's customers with their silly prices! You try taking somert back one of my customers started using them soon changed his mind and came back with his tail between his legs! Sorry rant over just don't like them lol