306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Anybody fancy fitting a 5th gear synchro?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was wondering if anybody fancies doing it for me. Can travel anywhere in the Midlands and will be in Reading next Monday and London/Ilford area on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Thought i'd ask people who know about the gearbox's and can do it without removing it as most mechanics suggest.

Also, how much would it cost? If it's too much i'll just put up with it, as i'm skint from spending nearly £300 on a clutch change last week.
Ask welshpug, or maybe buy another gearbox?
(11-02-2015, 12:31 AM)adam b Wrote: [ -> ]Ask welshpug, or maybe buy another gearbox?

I've found a syncro already. Just thought it'd be easier changing with the gearbox in situ than buying and replacing a whole gearbox
You absolutely certain it's the 5th gear synchro?

TBF I wouldn't worry about it, just leave it until it's too bad... It doesn't really cause any ill effects other than a "cronk" on 5th gear changes, but if you double clutch (i.e. press clutch, take out of 4th into neutral, release clutch, press clutch again, put into 5th) it should stop it clonking as badly.
(11-02-2015, 10:51 AM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]You absolutely certain it's the 5th gear synchro?

TBF I wouldn't worry about it, just leave it until it's too bad... It doesn't really cause any ill effects other than a "cronk" on 5th gear changes, but if you double clutch (i.e. press clutch, take out of 4th into neutral, release clutch, press clutch again, put into 5th) it should stop it clonking as badly.

That seems to be what everyone i ask is telling me. Don't know what else it could be either tbf.

I'm happy to just leave it for now but wasn't sure if it could cause more damage over a long period of time. I just move the gearstick slowly into 5th to not get the "cronk" 
Worst it's going to do is annihilate the gearbox...

Which is already broken and needs replacement and will be about the same price to get it replaced as changing the synchro... On a gearbox that has had components fail in it, so bits of the synchro are now floating round in the gearbox... You can pick up a box for about £50 and it'll cost you maybe £100-150 to drop it and put a new one in.

Or get some forum members over and feed them bacon, chocolate digestives, beer and curry and I'm sure they'll help you do it.
(11-02-2015, 11:48 AM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Worst it's going to do is annihilate the gearbox...

Which is already broken and needs replacement and will be about the same price to get it replaced as changing the synchro... On a gearbox that has had components fail in it, so bits of the synchro are now floating round in the gearbox... You can pick up a box for about £50 and it'll cost you maybe £100-150 to drop it and put a new one in.

Or get some forum members over and feed them bacon, chocolate digestives, beer and curry and I'm sure they'll help you do it.

There was a lot of rattling pre clutch/oil change last week but now it's gone, so hoping it shouldn't need an oil change.

If it's an easier (and cheaper) job to just replace the synchro, i'd rather do that for the time being then consider changing the whole box if it gets worse in the future
did you put proper gear oil in it?

if its had the wrong oil in for a while it might need a change after a while to flush the wrong stuff out.
(11-02-2015, 12:45 PM)welshpug Wrote: [ -> ]did you put proper gear oil in it?

if its had the wrong oil in for a while it might need a change after a while to flush the wrong stuff out.

Yeah i used genuine oil from the dealer