306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Fog light rant!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So I done a rant on the piggy channel.

Note the comments...'Andy' is actually a best mate, was my best man, so I'm trying to reply respectfully.

But am I alone here?! Fog lights are bloody FOG lights.
Surely if your fog lights help your visibility your normal headlights are RUBBISH and you're looking way too short a distance on the road!

Piggys Road Rant | January | Fog lights: http://youtu.be/1K7D0t8j7WU
I have to agree on both cases tbh, but that's why I usually do Cully's Fogs on High Beam mod. Then, when you use your high beams (country lanes, etc) the fogs illuminate as well giving that little extra light at close range, but as soon as you dip the lights again, the fogs go out. Wink
I agree but it doesn't bother me. Not like they dazzle you, unlike people driving around with full beams on. Now that's annoying!
Or with badly aligned headlights....that does my bonce in! Almost as much as poorly fitted HID's. Dodgy
Also find it quite ironic that the rant is coming from someone who only had fog lights on in their signature pic :p
(08-02-2015, 06:52 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: [ -> ]Also find it quite ironic that the rant is coming from someone who only had fog lights on in their signature pic :p

Ah, yeah about that....apparently he's converted them to DRL's. lol
(08-02-2015, 06:54 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2015, 06:52 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: [ -> ]Also find it quite ironic that the rant is coming from someone who only had fog lights on in their signature pic :p

Ah, yeah about that....apparently he's converted them to DRL's. lol

I thought that would be the case lol 
Lower wattage, DRLs Tongue

I agree on the misaligned thing Nutz. Thats next (this) months follow on...its usually due to people not fitting the bulb right! Big rant of mime! Especially when bulbs only fit one way!
I was thinking of turning fogs into drl's. Do i just need to fit lower wattage bulbs? I'm guessing it won't affect mot as not all cars came with fogs as standard?
Drl are for gays.. Even on standard fit! Lol
Lights in general piss me off. It seems now days people just cant use them! The amount of people i see driving with fog lights and side lights on at night is unreal. How can this be better visibility? Its just not!
Other pet hate is poorly fitted/adjusted bulbs. Just blind people and how do the drivers not realise when they are lighting up the entire cabin of all the cars in front? Oh thats right, most are either too stupid to notice anything past the end of their nose or they just don't care.
Tbh James, I didn't think it was great...just a boring, disjointed whine on an insignificant topic.

Front fogs DO help light up country lane verges when you have shit headlights like 306s do, they don't dazzle anyone, they're not dangerous, whats the problem? Yes you look a bit dickish using them around town but I'll continue to use them on backroads with the 306. I see the point of the vids, but I don't think it was a great start with this one, just my opinion of course though!
(08-02-2015, 07:09 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: [ -> ]Drl are for gays.. Even on standard fit! Lol

This. My car has DRLs and often i get "why have you got your fogs on. I HAVENT!!!!! Or you have the LED ones where people seem to think they are a substitute for headlights in street lit areas.
(08-02-2015, 07:10 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Lights in general piss me off. It seems now days people just cant use them! The amount of people i see driving with fog lights and side lights on at night is unreal. How can this be better visibility? Its just not!
Other pet hate is poorly fitted/adjusted bulbs. Just blind people and how do the drivers not realise when they are lighting up the entire cabin of all the cars in front? Oh thats right, most are either too stupid to notice anything past the end of their nose or they just don't care.

Sidelights and fogs look sick innit? 

Bloody idiots
Even better if you have blue sidelights as well. Wink

Tbf, I'd rather that than the bloody retrofit HIDs that are everywhere now...
Piggy was it foggy when you took the picture for your sig?

Front fogs have never really bothered me. As Niall said I'll fitted bulbs are pretty annoying. Getting blinded from your own wing mirror!!
Why on earth are you filming yourself moaning?!
(08-02-2015, 07:16 PM)306carter Wrote: [ -> ]Getting blinded from your own wing mirror!!

On this note...does anyone know if its illegal to dive with the wing mirrors folded at night?

With the angle I have my drivers one, I keep getting blinded in the Focus by following drivers... The Vectra had an auto dimming wing mirror but the Focus doesn't unfortunately, however it does have powerfold mirrors, and I forgot to flip them back out the other night...made for a much nicer drive but guessing its not legal?
It's definitely rear foglights that are the worst, they just dazzle everything behind so terribly when it's not foggy and what makes it worse is that barely any more people have them on in the fog than they do on a summers evening.

(08-02-2015, 07:14 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Even better if you have blue sidelights as well. Wink
Yeah this makes me laugh, blue sidelights and really yellow fog lights. Even more amusing if one of the lights isn't working.
I think 2 of the 3 mirrors you need by law.
(08-02-2015, 07:21 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2015, 07:16 PM)306carter Wrote: [ -> ]Getting blinded from your own wing mirror!!

On this note...does anyone know if its illegal to dive with the wing mirrors folded at night?

With the angle I have my drivers one, I keep getting blinded in the Focus by following drivers...  The Vectra had an auto dimming wing mirror but the Focus doesn't unfortunately, however it does have powerfold mirrors, and I forgot to flip them back out the other night...made for a much nicer drive but guessing its not legal?

Legally you have to have a drivers side mirror at a minimum. Well so i was told as when someone took the drivers mirror off of my work car, the body shop flat bedded it away because apparently its not legal without it.
My car doesnt have the fog lights on guys...hasnt for months. I have no front fog light switch or light on dash Wink

I get the whole 'bulb fitted wrong' thing too, pees me right off.

I DONT get how fog lights, designed for fog and thus only help about 20-25ft of road, help. 306 headlights are excellent with good earths and decent bulbs.

The more light closer to you as a driver, the worse your vision for distance. Try driving with interior light on and you'll see what I mean.

If you're trusting yourself to react to something only a few feet away then either you have supermans reactions or most likely you're just not looking far enough ahead for hazards.

Fog lights. For fog. Simples.
I remember back in the day my mums micra only had a drivers side wing mirror as standard!

Edit: maybe they keep fogs on for aesthetic reasons, not for the light. This is the main reason, because they like the look of it not for it to serve an actual purpose
What I find hilarious is when someone has NO lights at all on one headlight. IE no side or dip beam!?
So they put their fogs on and also only one works! Looks like a picasso car!

Its also a tester video...

I expected some hot topic type response like this...

If Road Rants dont go down well I'll pull them down! A 'pilot' episode is never the best episode of a series!
I can't understand the reason for this video that's all, I understand your opinion on fog lights and it's universal. However people aren't going to view your video and think 'Ah that Piggy guy said I mustn't use them'

I have a feeling in a couple of years you'll stumble across this and delete it feeling embarrassed!
(08-02-2015, 07:27 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]What I find hilarious is when someone has NO lights at all on one headlight. IE no side or dip beam!?
So they put their fogs on and also only one works! Looks like a picasso car!

Its also a tester video...

I expected some hot topic type response like this...

If Road Rants dont go down well I'll pull them down! A 'pilot' episode is never the best episode of a series!

But how it is received does decide it's fate Tongue
(08-02-2015, 07:25 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2015, 07:21 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]

With the angle I have my drivers one, I keep getting blinded in the Focus by following drivers...  The Vectra had an auto dimming wing mirror but the Focus doesn't unfortunately, however it does have powerfold mirrors, and I forgot to flip them back out the other night...made for a much nicer drive but guessing its not legal?

Legally you have to have a drivers side mirror at a minimum. Well so i was told as when someone took the drivers mirror off of my work car, the body shop flat bedded it away because apparently its not legal without it.

Crikey, seems a bit excessive lol! But fair enough, I had assumed that would be the case. Finny thing is no-one else seems to notice them flipped, its quite a wide car so I tend to have them flipped in car parks, and don't notice for 10 minutes or so on leaving...you'd think you'd get some odd looks lol.

(08-02-2015, 07:25 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]My car doesnt have the fog lights on guys...hasnt for months. I have no front fog light switch or light on dash Wink

I get the whole 'bulb fitted wrong' thing too, pees me right off.

I DONT get how fog lights, designed for fog and thus only help about 20-25ft of road, help. 306 headlights are excellent with good earths and decent bulbs.

The more light closer to you as a driver, the worse your vision for distance. Try driving with interior light on and you'll see what I mean.

If you're trusting yourself to react to something only a few feet away then either you have supermans reactions or most likely you're just not looking far enough ahead for hazards.

Fog lights. For fog. Simples.

Its just the location of the fog lights I think, 306 lights don't light up verges at all and its hard to see where road ends and mud/grass starts on a dark country lane, you do get used to it when driving a 306 but coming back from the Golf or Vectra and now the Focus with HIDs can barely see a thing in the 306 in comparison! I assume the HID projectors give a wider spread of light as well as obviously a whiter and more distant light. I also found the ABM projectors on the 306 were better than crystals but I still find fogs are useful in the 306 even with them. Only lights I've had worse so far was 106 frosted lights....literally more luck than judgement around not hitting stuff with those! lol
I agree with you, it winds me up when people drive with fog lights on. I found the video pretty funny but some of it was laughing at you but a laugh never the less Smile
(08-02-2015, 07:25 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]I DONT get how fog lights, designed for fog and thus only help about 20-25ft of road, help. 306 headlights are excellent with good earths and decent bulbs.

They are designed for helping you see in atrocious visibility but primarily to help you be seen by others. The A41 sometimes by me gets down below 10 meters visibility, genuinely below 10m and I have missed having front fog lights when its been that bad as they do help in these conditions.
Totally agree dumdum, but thats when the fog lights are useful!
I don't mind people laughing at me...like that really...I laughed me head off at meself when I watched it!

Still don't get the argument for them. I don't have any trouble seeing down lanes or seeing the flipping verge in my 306! Get ya eyes checked Tom!

They are FOG lights. For fog. Its really simple.
Pages: 1 2 3 4