306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Boost Gauge Digital v Analogue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Opinions and reasons why? Smile
Analogue hella cheaper than digital.

Due to pulsing on a diesel analogues can often offer better damping than a cheaper digital which might be all over the place.

Personal preference is for analogue as it's an at a glance where the needle is, you don't have the read the value, you just see where it's pointing.
Okay buddy here is the deal...

Analogue - Cheaper, Good reaction time, can turn back light on and off.
Digital - Expensive, Slow reaction time, have to read, always going to be illuminated.

With a hdi you can put a filter in the pipe and stop the pulsing that nominous mentioned. IMO a needle bouncing around looks far cooler than any digital gauge.
Another vote for analogue, easier to see at a quick glance...
If you have £££ digital.
If you are tight analogue.

Cheap digital ones massively miss read in my experience and can't be adjusted whereas cheap analogue ones have a spring that can be bent to adjust an checked against a known good one.
my digital was the same price as a cheap analogue gauge
there's no reason why you cant damp a digital as it still uses a pipe to a sensor

all gauges are not accurate unless calibrated and a calibrated gauge will cost a fortune
Analogue is quicker to read isnt it? Id go for one of those, Can get a prosport one for the 40quid mark they're nice...
(30-01-2015, 06:06 PM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]all gauges are not accurate unless calibrated and a calibrated gauge will cost a fortune

Yeah but chap analogue ones tend to be within 1psi, last cheap digital one I had was reading 21psi at 17psi so was almost 20% out
The one on my passat which is a reasonable analogue has a damper from a Greddy boost controller plus a fuel filter, a 1mm orifice and still frikkin bounces
Seems a little one sided lol, anyone have one for sale?
(31-01-2015, 07:14 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: [ -> ]Seems a little one sided lol, anyone have one for sale?

Analogue every time!! How can you look at a gauge and it say a number and you have to convert that to whether it's safe or not...

Analogue you look at the needle position and it says instantly whether shit is going wrong.. A number is just a number, a gauge position is a physical thing you can see... Why do you think all car manufacturers still provide needle gauges even if on a screen...
What about the stepper analogue ones? digital dial with needle and scale