306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: help please PC issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
need some help guys i did the windows update on the pc lastnight and now it wont boot

i need a way to get in and rollback the updates done over night

ive tryed the normal routes restarts/F8 to safe mode but it wont boot into safe mode Sad

OS is vista yes i know its old but its done me good over the years

just need a means of removing the updates

please please
lots of valuable data is likely to be lost if i do a reinstall Sad
If you have a windows disc you can boot from that then choose to do a restore.
have tryed that it trys to auto repair but fails
i have no option for restore or to restor to prvious point in time
cully, you could try and repair the installation? boot off the disk and see if it lets you repair the current installation. or see what the latest up dates were and uninstall them
you need to boot off something. Get ubuntu on a USB stick and run it live. Recover your files to an external hard drive and then reinstall windows... This is why you should have backups of all your files and separate them from the OS!
I'd say try what Rowell suggested then.
most of my important files are backed to a second H/disc
i have some iso imgs of autodata and planet and other stuff like my project photos part numbers that are trapped

im toying with buying a new h/drive to reinstall onto as a primary then try to recover my stuff off the old drive

ive found my original dell img and have started that and its giving me an option so save selected files so may go down that route, after ive done the clean instal on a new drive

it would be so much easyer if i could just remove last nights updates
A new hdd as the primary was going to be my other suggestion and probably easiest option.
Yes getting another hard drive as a primary will solve the problem and will be a good future setup. My setup is one 120GB SSD for OS and programs and then 2x 500GB HDD for files.

ebuyer for parts as always...
1 250gb ssd then 2 3tb HDD's for me.

I prefer Scan though because I get free delivery.
already run 1tb +1tb +1tb seperate drives no partitions so a lot of my stuff is safe
As most have said, id just not bother even trying to repair vista if it wont even boot into safe mode, just dump drive in another pc / external caddy, recover what you need and wipe it...and if its staying windows, at least put 7 back on, vista really is a disaster zone .
(29-01-2015, 04:55 PM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]already run 1tb +1tb +1tb seperate drives no partitions so a lot of my stuff is safe

are they set up in RAID?
Raid! lol nope
I have recovered the PC Smile
I stuck in the dell windows disc and it had a few more option and one was system restore
it didn't work on the first go, but rolled back an extra day and left it as I thought it wernt doing anything
I get home this evening and its asking for a password entered it and all is good and working

now time to back up everything to another drive Smile
(29-01-2015, 05:14 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: [ -> ]As most have said, id just not bother even trying to repair vista if it wont even boot into safe mode, just dump drive in another pc / external caddy, recover what you need and wipe it...and if its staying windows, at least put 7 back on, vista really is a disaster zone .

Yeah your right there, another Windows ME springs to mind, I remember at college one administrator who was brushing up on a few things with the server side, said we have had to ditch vista on new laptops and revert back to Xp, as we have had nothing but trouble with it. The new batch we had ordered off, I had to ask for them to put windows Xp on them. The administrator had to sort the drivers out for them, as the company had stopped putting XP on. 
He said if anyone is wanting to go to vista, then don't bother, as Microsoft are launching windows 7 sooner an expected.
Some times I do wonder what we saw back in my college days, in my Microsoft class was window 8, as we watched a little video of microsofts new operating system. As Visa wasn't anything like what was on that video tbh.
Just a shame they have finally killed off windows Xp, and 2000, Windows Xp I think was the new NT4, as that took some killing off! I think that might be even still about now!    
Use Google drive or Microsoft sky drive. automatically backed up.

If you've got a lot of data, use a nas drive with raid1.