306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Selling a Private Number plate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anyone tell me the exact process and cost in selling a private reg that is currently on vehicle and having a normal one replace it?

Can find info on buying or transferring but not selling! Confused

I assume the plate to be put on retention while its sold?

Cheers
Tom
I've had a private plate for 17 years and thought about selling it a few times.

Get a quote from a couple of the cherished transfer providers (regtransfers is one) and then they will take their cut from the proceeds.

They generally ask whether it's on a car or on retention as part of the quoting process.
£80 to retain it, then you sell the retention doc. Simples.

What's the reg?
Looks like £105 to retain now?

Is it really that simple though, and how do you get the normal plate, is that extra cost?

I won't give the reg on here (yet), its not massively valuable but its a 6 digit reg with common initials. Similar ones are £399+ on dvla site.
Sorry yeah £80 is to transfer, my bad.

£105, retention form then allows you to sell it (Once sold, you just need to fill in the box to change the grantee)

When a plate is retained, you are provided with the original plate.

Just keep in mind that 6 digit plates are virtually worthless, I paid £250 for mine but that's because it means something to me, I can't think that anyone else would ever buy mine unless we share my (rare) surname!

You will struggle unless it's a really good plate. It took me over a year to sell T27 BMW, I never managed to sell R6 TSG at all.
6 digit plates are more sought after than 7 digit ones tbf, they cost more on DVLA site as well. But you're right it's not a given that it'll sell. Would try and sell while it's still on the car, haven't lost anything then, and if it does sell, great, bit more money.
(17-01-2015, 10:07 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]6 digit plates are more sought after than 7 digit ones tbf, they cost more on DVLA site as well.  But you're right it's not a given that it'll sell.  Would try and sell while it's still on the car, haven't lost anything then, and if it does sell, great, bit more money.

Sorry, I read that as 7 for some reason.

As I say though, it took me over a year to sell a fairly sought after 6 digit BMW plate, and I couldn't sell a 5 digit (Couldn't even get enough to cover the retention fee)

I take it that your plate must be fairly decent for you to bother?

JOOI why are you keeping it private? Surely if you let us know, we might know someone who may want it?!
Yeah what's the big secret? Smile
Its not technically mine to give out yet. Wink

Just been offered a fixer at a reasonable price, should be money in fixing it, but if the plate could get an extra ~£100 on top after fees that'd be even better, but no loss if not.
In that case what are the last three letters that make it desirable?
Lol, I guess the next question will be what are the first 3 digits. Tongue If I get the car I'll say what it is, the seller has gone to length to cover the plate so I don't think it's fair that I put it on here without owning the car first. Smile

It's not overly desirable, just that its 6 digits, an early letter plate (so can be used on cars right back to the 80s). Plus has common end letters as long as your name is Xavier Yoko Zulu, ok so I made that bit up lol, it's just common letters really. As said I've checked DVLA site and they sell similar ones for a minimum of £399, so if the right person wants it £200 should be achievable imo. As above though, it'd only be a bit extra, no loss if it didn't sell, it'd just go with the car anyway.
It's gotta be pug Cool
Its not P306 GTi unfortunately....that's one 7 letter plate that would be desirable! lol
As said its £105 to retain for one year.

Check the v5 as not all reg numbers are transferable

The DVLA will issue an appropriate age related plate, this is Commenly the orginal one but not always

Car has to have valid mot and be covered by insurance in order to retain it transfer

And five digit plates with a low number are where the money is
You're way too conservative Tom!

By saying the last three letters are ABC for example, no-one could guess the plate!

I think you'll be clutching at straws unless it really is a desirable three letters and the two numbers are the same.

If for example it was P16 MAN for a pig farmer, fair enough. But P17 JSD for example will take a long, long time to sell for £200 unless you happen to get John Stephen Dawson searching ebay for a plate as he was born on 1st July!

I managed to get £500 for T27 BMW, it took me around 18 months with absolute no interest at all, then I got an offer from a dealer on ebay (I advertised it for £750, all the plate valuation sites said it was worth over £1500)

As I've said, I couldn't even get the £105 retention fee for R6 TSG which I thought was a pretty good plate for an R6 rider named Tom Scott Green!
ages ago there was T5LND, which would have been epic.. no luck finding that tho.

mate has B16 mke, thats pretty good

and i saw a 800 BS on a breastfeeding something company once.. (really)
I have P88 SRB on my Kuga, which was £250 years ago. I've seen 88 SRB which is up for sale for £8k. Such a massive difference in price for the absence of that first letter.

I also bought G8 SRB a couple of years ago as a long term sort of thing. Guy wanted £1k but got it for £500 as a private sale
I don't really get private plates. What's the attraction? Can't you just have a sticker on the tailgate with your name and save hundreds?
It's just like any visual mod, makes your car different from anyone else's and you can't get any more unique than a numberplate. I don't think they're worth the money and would never buy one but fan see why people do.

Anyway, I lost the car while trying to decide on it so its no longer relevant. lol
There's not as much money in it as you think mate, use NationalNumbers to get a more accurate price.

We had a 6 digit one on a family car (came with it) looked into selling it privately and found an almost identical plate (one number along) on NationalNumbers for £179.

Literally zero profit to be made, so it stayed on the car when it was sold.
Bought a car with a plate that said LFC on it.
Car had a big scratch, story being it was parked near the Man United ground when it happened.
Not being into football I didn't get why.

Once someone explained it, put the plate up for sale as I wanted rid.
Got a ton for it plus them paying the transfer costs.
Happy days Smile

Do love it when you see ads that say "plate worth £300" etc.
No, the plate is worth whatever someone wants to pay for it.
When National Numbers etc value it, ask them if you want to buy it and for how much. Watch that number drop.

The plate I'd like sold for £825 in DVLA auction in 2009.
The plate sellers have it up for £14,000 currently, but they are taking offers Smile
I haven't been able to use my plate for the last 4 years due to owning cars older than 99/T... Sad

Really need a ph3 to dump an XUD in and chuck it on that.

Or a newer skid car..
I bought my son a private plate when he was born, yeah so I know he can't use it for a very long time, but it was something I could afford at the time. His name is Jake Joseph Silk, I got him JJ51 LKY (which I could switch to JJ 5ILKY).

Looks ok and is something he could keep forever, they're not worth fortunes, is just a bit of fun and personalising.

I also have A5 LKY from a family member (A 5LKY)
Moving the space on a plate comes with a 100 quid fine when pulled over, trust me lol.

I paid £4500 for my plate, have often thought about selling but I have quite a rare name and would have to find someone with the same name to buy it.

My plate is T9 DDS, I had plates made with out the space and got pulled and fined lol.
Is that supposed to be £450?

If not, that's a hell of a lot for a number plate! You don't have it on a 306 do you?
Lol nope it's not a typo, I paid 4500 inc vat and fees, funny thing is if I wanted a 6 instead of 9, so T6 DDS.....think that's currently circa 6k.

And no lol, my 306 doesn't see the road......
Loving the T9DDS on the Beemer, just works

This thread has totally distracted me and have spent the last hour (maybe 3 Blush ) hunting for my perfect plate.

I can't find the ideal one of my company name CHY113D but have found C14LLD which doesn't look too bad on a plate.

But 400 is the cheapest I can find with all the transfers etc, anyone know a cheaper option?
I just found RO54 BUD, my second name being rose, and its £900, I thought that was pretty good haha
I saw a 3 digit plate on a knackered old Yaris today. What the f*ck?!