306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Drift Trike Thread. - Now with video!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So I was at the local "recycle and reuse center" (read tip or dump if your from a poor area) and noticed an old BMX leaning against a plastic school chair and an Idea popped into my head. So £7 for the bike and £1 for the chair and I now have more crap in the garage, now wheres my welder.

[attachment=20920]
you were done! the bike is broken no pedals
Did you not pick up any 4" PVC piping too? Wink
(03-01-2015, 07:05 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: [ -> ]Did you not pick up any 4" PVC piping too? Wink
You mean 10" and no, having trouble sourcing decent HDPE piping at a sensible price.

(03-01-2015, 07:02 PM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]you were done! the bike is broken no pedals
It had 1 pedal LOL.

Looks more broken now.

[attachment=20921]
The normal size used is 4" I believe, or 6.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DriftTrikesUK/

EDIT: Looking at pics, 4" is definitely wrong.
You have had it 10 minutes and its turbo f*cked already? Jesus H Christ.
(03-01-2015, 07:21 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: [ -> ]The normal size used is 4" I believe, or 6.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DriftTrikesUK/

EDIT: Looking at pics, 4" is definitely wrong.
Most of the UKDT guys run 10" go kart wheels/tyres but although go kart wheels are better they aint cheap. I have got 10" wheels and tyres with bearings ready pressed in at sub £4.50 each delivered and they run on a 16mm spindle so I can build stuff with M16 nuts and bolts.

(03-01-2015, 07:23 PM)Atterz Wrote: [ -> ]You have had it 10 minutes and its turbo f*cked already? Jesus H Christ.
Haha theres alot of turbos in that box.
dum dum you cannot make a 306 trike out of that thing!
i would hack you out some but they may miss it whistle

[attachment=20922]
(03-01-2015, 07:57 PM)procta Wrote: [ -> ]dum dum you cannot make a 306 trike out of that thing!
Smile

(03-01-2015, 08:16 PM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]i would hack you out some but they may miss it whistle

I'm sure you can find me some offcuts Big Grin
The spindles should be 17mm. Kart stub axles are 17mm (old version) or 22mm (newer version)
(04-01-2015, 03:32 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: [ -> ]The spindles should be 17mm. Kart stub axles are 17mm (old version) or 22mm (newer version)

I'm not running kart wheels, they are a stupid size and overpriced. The bearings in my wheels are a 16mm bore.

Anyway a little more done today on extending the frame. Was a right PITA as the paint on the frame wouldn't come off and if you welded near it it caught fire giving off some nasty fumes, had to take it off with the grinder in the end however the first time I lined it up with the line i'd drawn on the frame and then part way through welding knocked it and it ended up completely cock. Second attempt was much better and I've started on extending the rear end to where it is going to meet the axle.

[attachment=20936]
(04-01-2015, 05:25 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-01-2015, 03:32 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: [ -> ]The spindles should be 17mm. Kart stub axles are 17mm (old version) or 22mm (newer version)

I'm not running kart wheels, they are a stupid size and overpriced. The bearings in my wheels are a 16mm bore.

Anyway a little more done today on extending the frame. Was a right PITA as the paint on the frame wouldn't come off and if you welded near it it caught fire giving off some nasty fumes, had to take it off with the grinder in the end however the first time I lined it up with the line i'd drawn on the frame and then part way through welding knocked it and it ended up completely cock. Second attempt was much better and I've started on extending the rear end to where it is going to meet the axle.
is that all you have done!  get your finger out your arse dum dum! you have had HDis well wound with in a spate of  20mins! Tongue  Hurry your arse up will you!
TBH with the lack of daylight and the fact I've been to a meet today its not terrible, that and half an hour to dismantle the welder as the wire from the new spool didn't want to go inside the inner sleeve. Also I'm still finding moving about difficult which means it all takes longer.
(04-01-2015, 06:20 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]TBH with the lack of daylight and the fact I've been to a meet today its not terrible, that and half an hour to dismantle the welder as the wire from the new spool didn't want to go inside the inner sleeve. Also I'm still finding moving about difficult  which means it all takes longer.

excuses dum dum Tongue but i hope your on the mend!
and we took the piss out the guy with the 205 hdi Tongue

keep going I want to see this on pugfest hill at 2am in the morning Big Grin
Genius cully.
Need to get mine made and we can drift down together DD!
(04-01-2015, 07:29 PM)procta Wrote: [ -> ]excuses dum dum Tongue but i hope your on the mend!
Yeah slowly but surely, finding projects is making me move but means I can do an hour at a time and then go and put my feet up.

(04-01-2015, 07:44 PM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]and we took the piss out the guy with the 205 hdi Tongue

keep going I want to see this on pugfest hill at 2am in the morning Big Grin
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Maybe, I'm not sure the top section is steep enough though to get any great speed. The return road however could be epic but yes I'll bring it to meets.

(04-01-2015, 08:01 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]Genius cully.
Need to get mine made and we can drift down together DD!
Do it mate Smile
I want to give the hill down to yours a go Smile

Oh and in other news I found a big stack of HDPE in a ditch and it looked like it had been there a couple of years, sadly it was all only 7.5" so no good for me
Well todays hour or so sees her looking alot more trike like, just waiting for some monster bolts for stub axles and the wheels to turn up and she'll be rolling. Gonna need a monster weldathon as most are only tacked at the moment, this is already a good thing as I need to take about 4 inches out of the front end, don't think I'd sleeved it as far as I thought on one of the joints there but I can barely reach the bars or front axle.

As you can see from pic of the rear end I used 2 bricks (a little less than 5") to put the axle at the height it will run at and the tray is 2" so that I can guarantee at least that amount of ground clearance. I have mounted the seat and frame well under the axle height to keep the COG nice and low and importantly because I think they look cooler like that Smile

Hopefully have some wheels here tomorrow.

[attachment=20975]
[attachment=20976]
dum dum you could have used a 306 seat!
Top work dumb dum Smile

Procta-that a old school chair lol
(06-01-2015, 05:55 AM)7057sam Wrote: [ -> ]Top work dumb dum Smile

I know, we used to sit on those back in the 90s.
engineering on a whole new level.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out.
(06-01-2015, 11:33 AM)mr_fish Wrote: [ -> ]engineering on a whole new level.

Will be interesting to see how it folds up.

EDITED for you Wink
(06-01-2015, 12:40 AM)procta Wrote: [ -> ]dum dum you could have used a 306 seat!
I didnt have any kicking around and that makes the size of the trike much bigger for putting it in the boot

(06-01-2015, 05:55 AM)7057sam Wrote: [ -> ]Top work dumb dum Smile

Cheers mate, I know its old, the plastic dating on it is 1976 so its a decade older than me.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out.
A whole new low level LOL, still waiting for bits to turn up so I can finish it.

(06-01-2015, 11:57 AM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]

Will be interesting to see how it folds up.

EDITED for you Wink
Yeah very funny. My welding is adequate and there is some strengthening brackets and bracing to be added so it shouldnt be bad.
keep on meaning to make one of these myself! always look wicked fun! altho more fun with a little bike engine added..
I'm a happy boy, it's rolling and rideable. Had it up to 12mph on the little hill on my road and she handles well, I reckon I could of got her to slide if I had sleeves on the rear wheels. Really need to get a  brake connected up though but waiting to see if someone will give me a better brake for it.

Todays work involved cutting the old main tube extension, shortening it and then flaring it and welding it back on. Cutting 6 slits in the rear axle and folding the tabs in to hold the monster bolts that are forming my stub axles then getting them as straight tacking them, checking them and then fully welding them and f*ck me did I put some weld on them. I then strengthened the head tube join with 2 bits of 3mm strip. The wheels were then bolted on with the front end and I had to take it for a test ride Smile

Tomorrows work will be seam welding all the tack welds and then getting some paint on her then fitting the brake and speedo. If there is time/daylight then I'm going to find one of the bigger hills locally for a speed test. Reckon if I've hit 12mph today I could get 30mph at least.

[attachment=21005]
[attachment=21006]
[attachment=21007]
[attachment=21009]
[attachment=21008]
[attachment=21010]
[attachment=21011]
[attachment=21012]
[attachment=21013]
needs a drop and cyclones
(08-01-2015, 05:39 PM)procta Wrote: [ -> ]needs a drop and cyclones

Haha mate If I dropped this 60mm I'd need channels cut in all the roads, the rear end is mounted well under the axle and only has 50mm ground clearance. Thy seem to drift best with the seat ahead of the axle and a nice low center of gravity. To the top of the stem it isn't even 640mm tall.
Ha loving this
Pages: 1 2 3 4