306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Taking the council head on - stone chips!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So recently the IOW Council has decided to make new road surfaces, apparently after being on the phone to a council member, it's called "ROAD DRESSING"

Basically where they chuck a LOT of stone chips on the road, we drive over it and supposed to embed it into the road surface, a load of shit in my opinion.

We've had multiple motorcyclists falling off and my issue, a god damn stone chipped bonnet!

I made an online complaint yesteday and this morning had a phone call from a council member saying they will send out a compensation form for me to fill in and return to the company who took out the work??

The main reason why i have a stone chipped bonnet is from car's overtaking me; i'm driving 20mph, which the signs tell me, in some areas through a national zone - obviously, people overtake me, cut into the centre of the road and what follows sounds like a hail storm on my car... paninful!

So, who is responsible - i am NOT paying for a new bonnet!
Is it the councils issue? Or the company who carried out the work.

http://www.righttoride.co.uk/?page_id=1267 <-- an interesting read, albeit motorcyclists POV.

Anyone else experienced anything like this and won?
What should i be highlighting when putting this form through?
i think it would be great if you do actually win this, im surprised they were even willing to give you a form tbh, alot of roads round my way have been 'dressed' and i agree its the idiots overtaking who obviously dont care about there paintwork and people comming the other way that cause majority of the damage. since ive had my current pug no roads have been done but if this is a case you can win then what about gritters? they do similar damage but I cant really see people being able to claim against that? interested to see what comes of this though! will keep eye on this thread

p.s. read the article and maybe some points there that you could include to reinforce what they have said, I agree with them that there 'solution' part is probably unrealistic, especially with goverment funding cuts but the 'half way solution' sounds like it could work well and probably something they are more likely to consider. tbh you would think a simple, rolling in the chippings, would be something of common sense rather than leaving it for us to do, bearing in mind it takes a number of weeks before the road is drivable at normal speed and all those weeks provide risk of damage and injury. another thing that doesnt seem to have been mentioned is the general public being injured, not just people but also as a horse rider this would worry me as chippings being chucked up at a horses legs could result in a serious accident between horse/ rider and car/ driver. luckily its not a situation ive been in yet but again its something they should consider
iv experienced the "road Dressings" before absolute waste of time only 1/4 of the surface actually gets compressed it causes stupid amounts of hazards to every road user inlcuding those on public foot paths. and looks worst than the road did to start with. half a job in my opinion! seems like the council have already washed there hands of it by giving you a form to claim of the company who did it. That company will turn round and more than likely say they cannot be held responsible for others peoples actions Undecided
It is a bit tricky because the council, or the contractors who do the work, do put up signs stating a 20mph speed limit whilst the surface is being bedded in. We have had a few roads around my area done in this manner as well.

What you will find is that because the speed limit is legally enforceable, the blame actually falls on the motorist who overtook you at speed. You would require his/her registration to be able to start small claims court proceedings.

Saying that, you may be able to twist the councils arm into giving you some compensation towards repairs, but I wouldn't be sure of it...
i see where it's all coming from and understand each side of the story, but at the end of the day - not all people would listen to a sign propped up in a hedge saying "skid risk - 20mph".

As for the gritting issue - gritters are slightly differnt, that has a very fine grain across the surface, these are proper, big'er stones than that of grit. Also, grit tends to get mixed with the ice/slush/water which helps tyres stick, and less liable to spit onto someones car.
Its just stupid. It wouldnt take 5 minutes to put a roller over it all and bed it in properly! D:
SRowell Wrote:Its just stupid. It wouldnt take 5 minutes to put a roller over it all and bed it in properly! D:

I'm no road engineer but i know there are a few various types of road re-sufracing techiques.

1 - where they dig it up, lay an underlay, tarmac on top and roller it over
2 - where they chuck all this stone over the road and allow drivers to bed it in

the latter being a more "cost-effective" way of resurfacing - but in all honesty, drives literally like a dirt track.
So you have an idea of the road surfaces, you see the depth of debris gravel across the road

[Image: 0jjWU.jpg]
moaning sod!
go and enjoy the driving on the loose!
you will learn so much skill from controlling the car on that stuff
cully Wrote:moaning sod!
go and enjoy the driving on the loose!
you will learn so much skill from controlling the car on that stuff

i also found this, driving 60 ninja in a 60 a massive stretch across the backbone of the island and BOOM hit a road of this stuff, was night time and OH EM GEE! a little bit of poop came out!
The reason why they use these surfacings is because it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a resurface and when done properly, works well.
We used to do road surveys for Richmond and one of the engineers who we were doing the work for told us it can save upto £100 a metre!! Problem is it seems they haven't done it right where you are!

As I said on FB, speaking from experience, it is like getting blood out of a stone claiming from the council. I tried claiming for a buggered shock when I hit a pothole that was 23cm deep (it was dark and had rained hard so filled with water and just looked like a puddle). They admitted they knew of the fault but they refused to pay out because they have to be allowed a reasonable time to repair it!
I know what you're saying Niall, but you can clearly see there the state of the road! It's rediculous amount of gravel there, stupid!
ginge191 Wrote:I know what you're saying Niall, but you can clearly see there the state of the road! It's rediculous amount of gravel there, stupid!

Really they should go along after the glue has set with a road sweeper and take most of the excess up but doesn't look like they have
The "road dressing" is stupid, it is very easy to skid on. They've just done a road I drive along regually - http://bit.ly/HTJIlk
I know the road like the back of my hand, but I had some idiot skid out around a corner coming towards me earlier. It's not safe.

If your claim goes thorough, I might try, just for the sake of it.
For correct application on road dressing hot bitumen should be applied, chippings spread and rolled into the bitumen and then swept up by a mechanical sweeper.
We contract a lot of Tarmac work to our local road surfacing company and even they hate the stuff. It means numerous trips back to a site for them to repeatedly clear up. The geezer I was talking to reckons that a ok of firms get lazy, let the cars separate all the loose, into the 'tram lines' that we can see in your photo, to make it easier and quicker to sweep up.
Not a responsible idea really, and a load of shit to drive on!
They've done this 'dressing' a lot down here.. problem is they didn't put up any signs! So i'm happily travelling along at 40mph and hit the 'dressing' area and it sounds like my cars being shot at with a mini gun!
This is how 90% of the roads in the lakes are done TBH, they normally leave all the work on the roads until summer when there are tourists everywhere just to make things extra fun too :roll: