306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Climbed Helvellyn, striding edge and Catstye Cam at weekend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1st Major climb in the training for the 3 peaks that Im doing. We had to put up with a few white outs in hail/snow storms with 2000ft drops to each side.

Covered just over 10 miles, summited Helvellyn at 950m high and Catstye Cam at 890m.

Some proper scrambling/climbing involved. Was an eye opening experience with only 3 hrs sleep the night before (Blame Mr Lloyd). Good sense of achievement tho.

[Image: 1IMAG0701.jpg]
We started down by Ullswater in this photo so this is after the 1st climb

[Image: 2.jpg]
Looking up at what we still have to do

[Image: 10.jpg]
Then looking up at the start of striding edge ridge

[Image: 7.jpg]
Looking back from the same point of what we have covered.

[Image: 2IMAG0706.jpg]
[Image: 3IMAG0708.jpg]
[Image: 11.jpg]
Idea of the drops, photos dont do it justice really as some are over 2000ft drops. When you are on the ridge, you've got a foot either side to these drops.

[Image: 14.jpg]
[Image: 21.jpg]
Looking back at what we had just managed

[Image: 12.jpg]
And the view of the Tarn

[Image: 15.jpg]
[Image: 16.jpg]
[Image: 19.jpg]
[Image: 24.jpg]
From the top

[Image: 25.jpg]
View back down past what we have done

[Image: 26.jpg]
scramble down swirral edge

[Image: 28.jpg]
[Image: 27.jpg]
And Finally, the view from Catstye Cam, looking back at Helvellyn and out over the valley of Ullswater where we started.
Looks like you had fun, the weather was quite good this weekend up here, what you complaining about, there is even some sun in some of your pics Tongue

Good effort on 3 hours sleep though!
Looks good mate. Wish I could do something like this but I am so unfit haha
Stunning. Gah makes me want to go hiking again!
Ed Doe Wrote:Stunning. Gah makes me want to go hiking again!

See I really don't appreciate it as much as I probably should, suppose that comes with living here though, it does however make everywhere else seem extra shit lol
Weather was fine until we cam over kirkstone pass. Soon as we got to about 600m up, the weather really changed.

Matt, Im 18 stone and not that fit and managed ok.
ben306 Wrote:Weather was fine until we cam over kirkstone pass. Soon as we got to about 600m up, the weather really changed.

That sounds about right, we had a meet on Kirkstone pass, it was -6*C lol
Great work mate! Well done!
Been there,done that, cracking scenery Smile