306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Peugeot 306 HDI 5 Door
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(19-05-2016, 02:38 PM)MY95 Wrote: [ -> ]Just got my wishbones through the post today too look good although strange how one is painted in black and the other is the standard metal colour, did you find this with yours? New febi bilstein droplinks and ARB bushes look good also
Should defo come to Pugfest, so much fun taking the car up the hill! Went last year and sworn id go every year from then on that I can haha Smile 600 mile round trip for me, so a full tank nearly, but well worth it for 1 day a year Smile Managed 52mpg from that tank with 3 hill runs hitting 4.5-5k in 2nd gear after every corner haha, and sitting at the 'national speed limit' there and back lol

Found the exact same thing on mine haha. No idea why it got me worried as well so I ended up checking the part numbers and order like 3 times before I sent it off to get them fitted. Seems all fine though so no idea what the deal is there haha.

And I know yeah I should do tbf. Does sound like a right laugh tbh. 52mpg is damn good considering the 3 hill runs as well.

And yeahhhhh "national speed limit"  Itwasntme
Thought you did haha, they look alright to be honest so should be fine, looking forward to getting it fitted and not having anymore things to get replaced in the next few months and for it to sail through the MOT (fingers crossed lol)
It is really good..... the daily slag in action two medium-heavy men up front and a full interior in the boot/back seats, toolbox, many things for the day trip and various crap haha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQNqwqH5Qjc
Yep, car was sitting around 3k in 5th all day lets just say, so yeah the 'national speed limit' lol and getting 52mpg is pretty impressive from that, with a binding rear brake and also that sitting at 80 rather than 60 uses 30% more fuel, so id have got massive mpg'z if I sat at 60 all the way down! Would be pretty unbearable though and would add another hour onto our journey at least haha
I don't know who came up with this myth about 80 using so much more than 60, it just isn't true!! I tried not going above 65 for a tank, made no difference to sitting at 80/90!

Weirdly, 75 (70 on sat nav) seems to be more efficient than 65 just going off the instant mpg, I have wondered if there's something in the map that makes a genuine 70mph cruise as efficient as possible - as presumably they test MPG and emmisions on actual speed rather than the clock speed. But maybe I've just imagined it, either way I don't waste time and cause myself stress cruising at 60 any more lol.
MY95 - Looks like a good day that does tbf. Nice hill climb as well Big Grin

Toms306 - I suppose a lot of it comes down to mapping like you said. I would expect a lot of cars to be designed to run best and most efficiently at motorway and A road speeds
Its physics Tom.... your using more fuel to do more revs and also using more fuel to spin the wheels to counteract the extra wind resistance etc, that's like saying you'd do the same mpg doing 30 as you would doing 60 all day long, guarantee you'd get more sitting at 60. Both Mr Whippy and Poodle have researched as well as tried it themselves, don't think anyone is going to know more about the HDI engine etc than any of the mappers, other than maybe Poodle and Ruan etc. But yeah cba for sitting at 60, 80 if im doing a long run or 70-80 if im not, all depends.
Jack yeah its well worth the £7 a run, so much fun! Cheers!
Yes, you'll use a small amount more to get over the wind resistance, but it just isn't 30% or anywhere near that even! If I got 30% better fuel economy at 60 than 80 I would do that, but its just not even noticeable, I never get a dropping average on the trip computer at a steady 80mph, it only drops when accelerating or using the engine cold. I lose more MPG on a 5 minute cold trip to Tesco than I do at 30 miles at 80!
I think someone needs to re-test it haha, I do think 30% is a bit too much, maybe 10% ish but there's definitely a difference.
If I added an extra 30% onto that 52 mpg I would have got 68 mpg, which would have been pretty epic Tongue
Well yeah you will use more fuel when its cold as its warming up, compared to staying at around the same temperature without the need for the bits needed to help warm the car up.
Then again on your DV6, the different speeds will be likely to affect your mpg much less than it will on a 150k+ HDI at different speeds/revs, due to the age of the engine and the technologies etc.
Well then, Nice little update on this thread not done one for a while.

Gave the car a damn good cleaning last weekend. This included;

- Magifoam snow foam mixed with citrus wash and purple velvet for extra foam and dirt removal (Autobrite products)
- Tar removal using Just the tonic from Autobrite
- Another snow foam along bottom half of the car to remove the tar removal product properly
- Proper wash using the purple velvet shampoo
- Rinse down
- Snowed with Q2M bathe+ (should be wash and wax but when foamed on creates an amazing shine and smooth waxed finish) Lasts well as well.

[Image: 2ir3joj.jpg]

[Image: 2h4l17n.jpg]
Great work! There's something about a Moonstone with dark cyclones which just looks so right!  Inlove
(14-10-2016, 06:22 PM)reese Wrote: [ -> ]Great work! There's something about a Moonstone with dark cyclones which just looks so right!  Inlove

Cheers bud Smile  although this one isn't moonstone believe it or not. It's provence blue. I thought it was moonstone as well when I bought it haha.

The newest addition to this car is one of Poodles (Derv Developments) oil catch tanks kits. Fits well after a bit of fiddling (Had to remove the top half of the air box and sorta slide it in, and I didn't know how to fit the pipe work correctly to start with. Also my huge audio power cable really got in the way a bit too haha)

Anyway here are a couple of pics of that all setup now. For some reason the website I am using to host the pictures has decided to start rotating my photos round for some reason -_-

[Image: xcm848.jpg]

[Image: 1zgaubs.jpg]
(14-10-2016, 07:02 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-10-2016, 06:22 PM)reese Wrote: [ -> ]Great work! There's something about a Moonstone with dark cyclones which just looks so right!  Inlove

Cheers bud Smile  although this one isn't moonstone believe it or not. It's provence blue. I thought it was moonstone as well when I bought it haha.

I did think it looked very deep but thought that was the shine you'd given it! Rofl Looks good either way!
(14-10-2016, 09:22 PM)reese Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-10-2016, 07:02 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: [ -> ]

I did think it looked very deep but thought that was the shine you'd given it! Rofl Looks good either way!

It seems to entirely depend on the lighting on the day with provence blue haha. I have seen it very dark some days and lovely and deep blue. Then other days it looks very light. Then rarely you get to to see the slight pinky/purple tinge come through. It has like 7/100th's dark magenta in it. I was surprised when the halfords guy was mixing it.
The car is coming back on the road. It went for an MOT Saturday and failed on two things. 1 was a binding rear brake caliper. Putting new brake pads in seems to have sorted this issue out. Although I have got a spare caliper now as I bought one second hand anyway for £30. I will be getting another for the other side and refurbishing them my self and putting them on as and when Big Grin

It also failed on some rust where the front subframe bolts to the body. I have been quoted £180 for this repair and to be quite honest I am just going to get it done at the garage that did the MOT for that cost. I need to car on the road ASAP and that will be the easiest and probably the best way of getting it done! (The garage is a very reliable sort of place where everything is done to the book. It was probably the most thorough MOT the car has ever been through!)

I am glad it went through the MOT like that though as I would like to know that it's a safe car and having only failed on two things at a garage that's as thorough as the one I took it to I would think it is in great condition which is good to know!
Well then! After a bit of welding and some caliper work the car has gone through probably the most thorough MOT test I have witnessed with just one advisory.... Slightly streaky window wipers! Makes sense since it has sat for 13 months! 

Can't fault the garage. Court Auto's in Telford. Very quick getting me booked in and very quick getting the welding work done!

Onewards and Upwards Big Grin

[Image: b3kf4p.jpg]
winning well done. Good to seee another on the road for another year
Aye, good to see you got it sorted.
Cheers fellas Big Grin Drove from mine to Coventry today. Done about 45 miles. Ran perfectly all the way down. Lovely and toasty inside as well.
So I started giving it a damn good clean up today.

So far its been 
- Citrus washed (Loosens all the crap first)
- Fallout remover (To remove brake dust and metal powder - Loads of fine brake dust where my caliper was seized at the back)
- Snow foamed (And washed around with a mitt. No gritty dirt on the paint before I did this as the citrus wash and jetwash removed all that)

Tomorrows plan

- Proper wash with good shampoo
- Clean all the door shuts + Boot shuts + Behind the brake lights etc
- Coating of silicon based water beading stuff
- Coating of P32 (From Autobrite Direct)

[Image: 35anaf6.jpg]
[Image: 2jcc9c8.jpg]
Looks cleaner than ever! Good work!
(09-02-2018, 06:03 PM)Eeyore Wrote: [ -> ]Looks cleaner than ever! Good work!

Cheers mate Smile it's had another even more in depth clean today after work ?

Quick question for anyone that reads this....
Where can I get one of those French flag badges from? I'm bored of my totally black one!
Spent 5 hours on the car today cleaning the interior. I used a rug doctor with the hand tool attachment. What a satisfying job that was! The seats and carpet look like new! Big Grin 

[Image: 30c264x.jpg]

Got dibs on Piggies rear beam and gti-6 brakes so getting those fitted start of April hopefully as well, along with a new cambelt, water pump, and aux belt while its all apart Smile
Cleaning continued today Big Grin 
Done all behind the brake lights and around the boot opening Smile

Then painted the front slam bar with hammerite to clean it up a bit! 

[Image: 2u47ioo.jpg]

[Image: 2q21vr6.jpg]

[Image: 2e2hvva.jpg]
Tomorrows plan is a good service. And then an attempt to grease up the gear linkages to help smooth the gear changes a bit  Rofl

[Image: 2v1mfxu.jpg]
All done. Oil filter, Air Filter, Fresh oil, topped up washer fluid. Just need a good clean now and an attempt at fixing the cracked front bumper caused by a mishap in the snow :/
Doing a bit of work on tidying up the Gti-6 brake calipers ready for fitting down at piggys place Big Grin 

[Image: 14109w7.jpg]

Then mixed up a special concoction of 2stoke, archoil, and diesel to be mixed into the fuel each fill up. Enough for 10 doses of full tanks. The mix is 200ml diesel, 200ml 2-stoke oil, 70ml arch oil. In total I mixed 2l of diesel, 2l of 2-stroke, and 700ml of archoil. It will basically allow me to just tip 500ml in before each fill up and know I have the right mix very easily Smile

[Image: 260900l.jpg]
Started painting up the calipers with the brake caliper paint. Seems to be going on well. Will probably take a couple of coats so I'm leaving them to dry thoroughly before moving onto the next coat. Hopefully I made the right decision priming them before painting though. We shall see I suppose! 

[Image: 35arlnn.jpg]
Over the last tank of fuel I got a calculated 53.05mpg. Seriously good considering the amount of fun I have been having in it! I'm interested just how much can be got out of these cars! I'm hoping for a slight improvement from the new fuel pressure regulator as well. Got a nice long drive tomorrow to start this tank of fuel. Going to see how much I can get over this tank by driving like a normal person haha.
Yesterday was a busy day... Well mostly for James (PiggyPower). Just have to say what a lovely place that is to go. The whole area is just quaint and just generally a nice English village. Anywayyyy..

I went down as I had bought the Gti-6 calipers and rear axle off his Racetractor. I also bought a full timing belt and water pump kit, and a new aux belt so arranged with Piggy to get all the work done at the same time.

The journey down was easy from where I live and I came across a great road called "Fish Hill" just a windy very very uphill road which I had complete access to as no one was on the road that early! Car flew up it and temp stayed lovely and stable so all good there! The A44 and A46 have some really nice stretches of road when they are clear.

Piggy was very welcoming and so was the weather and the two dogs that live down near his sight. Ziggy and urmmm the quiet one that didn't come near us much.

Work started with the timing belt to make sure that was done and out of the way. All went smooth. We had trouble getting the bolts undone on the cam shaft pulley though and piggy found that a previous owner who had changed the belt had left the timing out a degree or two on the pulley so he lined that back up nicely.

[Image: 261hsed.jpg]

Next task was the brake calipers. I had these posted to me before hand so I could refurbish and clean them up. As can be seen in an above post in this thread.

Calipers all went in great and thanks for piggys general care of his cars all the bleed valves were free and easy to undo and the sliders were all free and well greased so all good there as well!

Rear axle was done last. This according to piggy went alright. The main issue was removing the old hand brake cables as far as I could understand (He was rather focused by now and I was trying to help with what bits I could haha)

All in all everything went well. All seems to have ran great on the 2 hour drive back home. Brakes bedded in better and temperature looking perfect on the dash as well.

Thanks for all the work and hospitality Piggy  Smile

[Image: 2112tkh.jpg]

Issues raised - 

1) Need to replace lower pulley. This was done probably only 2 years ago but it seems I got a crap one! :/ 
2) Replace 90* elbow on the fuel tank filler pipe as this is damp with diesel.
3) Clean up and grommet a badly drilled random hole in the boot floor  Huh
4) Tackle the slight rust on the underside of the car. Just needs wire brushing and a good coating with paint.

Oh also. This happened later in the evening. Mate managed to snap a pick!

[Image: 20krlg9.jpg]

[Image: 35jmmoo.jpg]
Sounds like you had a very productive day with Piggy, the car should last year's especially now the engine has bed in Smile
all hail Piggy!
Pages: 1 2 3 4