306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Differences between phases
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As I'm fairly new to 306s I'm looking to generally educate myself on the vehicle including differences between models and phases. I have done a search but came up with very little. Could you kind people possibly post me up a list of differences? I know the ph3 bumpers are different to the ph2 but apart from that I'm in the dark Smile

Cheers all
I know there is a guide somewhere..

look out for things like a black strip at the bottom of the boot hatch, some late phase 2 cars didnt have it, but its a sure fire sign. another obvious one is the crystal lights on a phase 3 too..

Again im sure there is someone who know more, but as a general rule

J reg (rare) - P reg Phase 1
P reg - T reg Phase 2
T reg - 51 reg Phase 3 (there are some late registered phase 3 cars.. the newest i have ever seen was a 54 plated Cabriolet

(this post is only mildly helpful as im trying to troll my way to 100 posts)
Phase 1 has two pice headlight/indicators and a slatted grille
Phase two has frosted single piece headlights
Phase 3 had crystal headlights and round fogs in bumper which is the only fully colour coded bumper.
There are some confusing exceptions like a ph2.5 which had a ph3 boot lid, ph2 bumper which were fully colour coded.

Sure someone will put.some pics up soon enough
Ph1 looks like it could be ferrying dinosaurs about...

Ph2 was supposed to be modern looking in 1997 but kept the lovely faded grey plastic accents...

They soon realised it was a mistake and facelifted it just 2 years after and fitted a load more extras as well (working RCL instead of the IR rubbish, headlights instead of candles, electric mirrors and windows and auto wipers on all but lowest spec etc)...so the ph3 is the one to go for. Wink (Can of worms there lol!)

That's a good point though, I don't think there is a full list of differences on here anywhere? It's surprising how many differences there are just between ph2 and 3 despite looking fairly similar. Might be useful for someone to make a guide on it...
Ok guys thanks alot, by the looks of things its only body panels/parts that are different, I assume that there is no difference mechanically ie lighter flywheels, uprated suspension etc?
Having owned all three, i can help with pics

Phase 1
[Image: DSC00194.jpg]

Phase 2
[Image: 20112007111.jpg]

Phase 3
[Image: 153256F9-4510-4433-AF74-B98408523747_zpsq5adk0fh.jpg]
Yea tom I searched before making the post as nowt worse than repeating whats already being covered
(29-10-2014, 05:24 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Ph1 looks like it could be ferrying dinosaurs about...

Ph2 was supposed to be modern looking in 1997 but kept the lovely faded grey plastic accents...

They soon realised it was a mistake and facelifted it just 2 years after and fitted a load more extras as well (working RCL instead of the IR rubbish, headlights instead of candles, electric mirrors and windows and auto wipers on all but lowest spec etc)...so the ph3 is the one to go for. Wink (Can of worms there lol!)

That's a good point though, I don't think there is a full list of differences on here anywhere? It's surprising how many differences there are just between ph2 and 3 despite looking fairly similar. Might be useful for someone to make a guide on it...

HAHAHA
I disagree though! the phase 1 is a supurb looking car!
phase 1 s16??! oh yes please!

im sure there must be a guide?
I didn't say it didn't look good (not sure I'd go as far as superb... Tongue ), but they do look very dated nowadays lol! Not surprising though, given that the newest ones are 18 years old!
(29-10-2014, 05:31 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't say it didn't look good (not sure I'd go as far as superb... Tongue ), but they do look very dated nowadays lol! Not surprising though, given that the newest ones are 18 years old!

ahem . . . phase 1 not dated imo, getting to be retro as fcuk baby . . .Inlove
all you need to know is phase 1s are the best.. Wink
(29-10-2014, 05:44 PM)eskimogod Wrote: [ -> ]all you need to know is phase 1s are the best.. Wink

true dat . . . when you hear people saying "yeah but, ABS and auto wipers and and aircon and shit" . . . NO!!!! . . . . .that shit is for girls, phase 1 win for all the real dudes . .Big Grin
Yea tom I searched before making the post as nowt worse than repeating whats already being covered
phase 1 4 lyf xx
(29-10-2014, 05:46 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-10-2014, 05:44 PM)eskimogod Wrote: [ -> ]all you need to know is phase 1s are the best.. Wink

true dat . . . when you hear people saying "yeah but, ABS and auto wipers and and aircon and shit" . . . NO!!!! . . . . .that shit is for girls, phase 1 win for all the real dudes . .Big Grin

exactly! less to go wrong and they break enough lol

i've tried all three and im back in a phase 1 Big Grin
(29-10-2014, 05:46 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: [ -> ]

Air con in a 306!? lol

On a serious note though, ABS can save accidents... That was probably the thing I most hated about my ph2, tiny discs, rear drums and no ABS. Braking was almost non-existant. Until it was wet then they'd just lock up with the slightest steering input... That was the main reason for moving on to a ph3 even back in 2010!
Well personally I like to have a few bells and whistles on a car so the ph3 ive got im happy with
There's a guide over on 306gti6.com that lists a lot of the mechanical and electrical differences between phase 2 and 3 as well which are quite profound in certain instances. It's in the faq portion of their forum.

Phase 3 is arguably the most competent; but this will mainly be because it's the newest. The very last ones are 10 year younger than the oldest ones and came with the more modern Hdi engines. But In my opinion phase 1s look the best now, they've definitely moved into that "retro" category.
(30-10-2014, 09:36 AM)Orta Wrote: [ -> ]There's a guide over on 306gti6.com that lists a lot of the mechanical and electrical differences between phase 2 and 3 as well which are quite profound in certain instances. It's in the faq portion of their forum.

Phase 3 is arguably the most competent; but this will mainly be because it's the newest. The very last ones are 10 year younger than the oldest ones and came with the more modern Hdi engines. But In my opinion phase 1s look the best now, they've definitely moved into that "retro" category.

Thanks orca I may have a look on 306gti and gen up a bit, much appreciated
this question comes up all the time... ill make a proper guide at some point.
(30-10-2014, 11:32 AM)SRowell Wrote: [ -> ]this question comes up all the time... ill make a proper guide at some point.

I did do a search before I made the post but the info I found was dribs and drabs so yea a proper guide is probs the best idea, good for newbies like me
no worries! All part of making the forum better and helping everyone! Big Grin
(29-10-2014, 05:31 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't say it didn't look good (not sure I'd go as far as superb... Tongue ), but they do look very dated nowadays lol! Not surprising though, given that the newest ones are 18 years old!

Nearly. My ph.1 will be 18 in February.
(30-10-2014, 11:32 AM)SRowell Wrote: [ -> ]this question comes up all the time... ill make a proper guide at some point.

Im SURE there was one!? Or is it on the 'other forum'?
Phase 1 steering wheel was the tits.
(30-10-2014, 12:40 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]

Im SURE there was one!? Or is it on the 'other forum'?

there is a very good on on gti6. there may be one on another forum. the one we had on here i think was just a very good reply to someones question... ill check for a proper one later and make one if not!