306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Soldering Battery Cable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What type of soldering wire? Tin/lead ok?

Flux paste as well?

Will a 60W electric soldering iron be up to the job or is gas / blow torch required?

Cable thickness is 25mm² and 75mm².
You'll never get them sufficiently hot enough to do a decent job of soldering them without melting about 8 inches of insulation off the cable in either direction in the process.

Why not just weld them together?
plumbing solder and a blowtorch
(28-10-2014, 05:42 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]You'll never get them sufficiently hot enough to do a decent job of soldering them without melting about 8 inches of insulation off the cable in either direction in the process.

Why not just weld them together?

WELD IT!??!

Theoretically you'd use a naff-off soldering iron, or big ass crimp terminals... Also - 75mm^2 - that is fooking gigantic....
crimp and adhesive lined heatshrink, or a longer cable.
What are you using it for 75mm2 is about an inch thick. There is no way you are going to get a decent solder of that.
[Image: HT1jyiiFSxXXXagOFbXA.jpg]

That is 70mm^2 per core!

That's good for 485 Amps continuous... Probably slightly on the overkill side tbh!
Crimp lugs on either cable and bolt them together instead, you'd need a gas torch to solder them otherwise, which will ruin a good portion of the insulation as Dum-Dum wrote above.
Also, a soldered joint is prone to cracking because of the vibrations in any vehicle.
(28-10-2014, 07:01 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ][Image: HT1jyiiFSxXXXagOFbXA.jpg]

That is 70mm^2 per core!

That's good for 485 Amps continuous... Probably slightly on the overkill side tbh!

Which one is 70mmsq per core?

Also that picture is pretty useless without something in it for scale.
[Image: 68977480-B2F9-41BE-859A-AF57466BEAA5-163...da2a2b.jpg]

That's probably a better comparison.

EDIT: That's 50mm^2!!! So yeah... Add a GOOD amount on top, I can barely find 70mm^2, it's all XLPE which I can't find a size comparison of... It's the sorta stuff they'd use per phase coming from a electrical substation to a large warehouse... It's gigantic!
To give you an idea, 75mm sq is about what is used on a 3P supply to a small factory!
Just get someone with the right tools to crimp them.

And wtf is one 70mm^2 when the other is only 25?!
100amp joint box for mains tails will tale 25 mm. They are about £10 from an electrical wholesaler. But 75 mm? That's about the size of CD.
Lol @ some of these responses!

25mm² is what is fitted to my Datsun relocating the battery to the boot currently. I've just crushed the wires into the crimps as a semi-permanent job and they need soldering.

The 75mm² is what's on order for the 306's relocation jobby. I've got the crimps in front of me, it'll be fine. That's rated to 500A.
as said plenty of flux and a blowtorch and feed both ends with a good amount of solder then join togther, ive soldered my earth wire on my mig in this fashion.
(28-10-2014, 06:44 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]What are you using it for 75mm2 is about an inch thick. There is no way you are going to get a decent solder of that.

really?

400mm is about an inch thick...