306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: UNI Rant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Im at uni studying for architecture, Its my 5th year and just when i thought they had stolen enough money off me, we have to put on our own exhibition, which i have just spent £126 on and thats just one lot of seven of us, its ridiculous. So if anyone wants some cheap ikea tables come july time let me know as i will have a load going cheap.

Thats before i have even had to print my work to put up, and also pay for model making material.

Anyone else at uni and having to spend a small fortune to print and present work, or is it just architecture?
Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this what you Uni loans should pay for instead of booze like it does for most students (not saying you spend all your money on booze btw lol)?

Sorry mate but have no sympathy. Uni is a privilege, not a right. As with anything in life, if you can't afford it, don't do it.
I do agree with you that the loan is for living/working not for partying. Breaking cars used to fund my booze in my first 3years.

Hehe, i dont really spend my uni loan on booze, as none of my friends go out any more they are boring, and i have no time to get away from work.

I dont mind spending money on uni but its when we have to print things out for one tutorial which them get thrown away as no use further on down the line. Apparently showing tutors my work on a computer isn't good enough Sad

Printings not so expensive now as got an a1 printer, its mainly the exhibition thats pissed me off.

Im just having this rant, as got f*ck loads of work and not enough time then im spending money on this exhibition which i really couldn't care less about as carry's hardly any marks to, they wont even tell us if it does count towards grade.

Portsmouth Uni is so unorganised.
I can understand what your saying. My girlfriend is as college doing photography and she has to do a lot of printing. She lives at home still so all the money she gets for it goes on college stuff but it is tight!
Suppose it's just annoying that I have friends (also at Portsmouth Uni) who are in every loan available, and still go out drinking most nights and then whine when they have to live on 30 quid for a week!

Most people now seem to think that Uni is just there for a laugh at the governments expense!

Anyway, enough of my rant lol

Btw do you do any quantity surveying in your course?
im really tight with money, so generally quite good at having enough to do everything, but don't like spending it on unnecessary parts of the course. I lived with 5 others in my first part of uni, and a couple of them constantly moaned they had no ment, but they went out at least three times a week, so thats their own fault.

I went to uni to become an architect its either that or work as a technician and part time uni.

Nope no quantity surveying, just wishy washy bullshit hehe.

I did however work as a building surveyor last year.
Yeah i used to do land and building surveying.
Only reason I asked was I know someone doing quantity surveying there at the mo. was Gunna see if you knew him lol
Doubt ide know him, dont really mix with anyone outside of architecture anymore. Im either infront of a computer, talking to tutors or under a car. lol

Why you stop surveying?
Shit money and the company I worked for was shit.
I was doing 12 hour days, was in the office a fair bit till 8-9 at night drawing because the boss couldn't quote a job properly, and he treated us all like dicks.
Tbh there's no money in that sort of surveying unless
Your self employed or have your own business. He made a fortune, I took home 1200 a month for 12 hour days and lots of abuse!
That does sound pretty bad tbf, where i worked i had a half decent wage with flexible hours and best of all great mileage rate at 60p a mile. But there were some weeks when i got barely any work
well i did uni got pissed 97% of the time and left with a 2:2 job done in debt which is approx £9 a month i have to pay back and ill never be able to pay it all back unless i win the lottery or get promoted like and in work haha
Niall Wrote:Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this what you Uni loans should pay for instead of booze like it does for most students (not saying you spend all your money on booze btw lol)?

Sorry mate but have no sympathy. Uni is a privilege, not a right. As with anything in life, if you can't afford it, don't do it.

Just to give you a perspective of what money people receive - receiving est £2750 a year, in 3 installments, thats £930 every 4 months.. you try and survive suffciently off that, please don't make cheap assumptions, and yes, you know this topic grinds my gears.
To be fair, I live what I would call 'comfortably', although coming from a low income background, it doesn't take me much to feel comfortable. But I get about £6000 from the government and £900 from my university, because Dad earns less than the bottom threshold. Due to Birmingham being a bit cuntinsh, I'm in the cheapest accommodation, and still pay £3200 for 42 weeks rent, so I don't have much 'disposable' income.
ginge191 Wrote:
Niall Wrote:Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this what you Uni loans should pay for instead of booze like it does for most students (not saying you spend all your money on booze btw lol)?

Just to give you a perspective of what money people receive - receiving est £2750 a year, in 3 installments, thats £930 every 4 months.. you try and survive suffciently off that, please don't make cheap assumptions, and yes, you know this topic grinds my gears.

Not cheap assumptions at all. And I said most not all.
Tbh doesn't this thing with all these Manchester uni students thats been in the news support this?
Niall Wrote:Tbh doesn't this thing with all these Manchester uni students thats been in the news support this?

take a night out in a city centre - you find drunken people, and yes, alcohol is "cheaper" for students through student clubs offers etc.
This doesn't mean at all that "most" students spend money on alcohol, thats manchester.... GB is larger than one city.

so no, i dont think it does support anything apart from saying "young people are getting drunk and gett rowdy"

edit: and im assuming you're talking about the behaviour on P&O, a professional ship, not to be expected to see drunken students...
Ok then so you go to most areas around towns or where predominantly students live and what do you see there mostly? Drunk teenagers.
I'm in no way saying all students are like this because I know a lot are not but I also know a lot are!
FairPlay to people who go to uni to learn and either pay for it them selfs or aim to pay it back. What I can't stand is people who go to uni "for the experience" who borrow thousands from the government because it's their right to go to uni apparently when in fact, it's no ones right!
Niall Wrote:Ok then so you go to most areas around towns or where predominantly students live and what do you see there mostly? Drunk teenagers.
I'm in no way saying all students are like this because I know a lot are not but I also know a lot are!
FairPlay to people who go to uni to learn and either pay for it them selfs or aim to pay it back. What I can't stand is people who go to uni "for the experience" who borrow thousands from the government because it's their right to go to uni apparently when in fact, it's no ones right!

...accepted and mostly true but you will also find that the majority who do this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ don't get through their first year, 2nd if they are lucky. Uni isn't an attendence piece, and for someone to get as far as their 5th year, that is quite an achievement.

I also know a fair few uni stundents who work bloody hard, and in return, play hard... there is no harm in that, surely.

I think the idea that people use the money to drink is a very naiive way of seeing it and lacks a lot of evidence. The media loves to hype this idea up also...

I've worked alongside those who you mention, and they don't go far, at all... and yes, they still have the debt with little to show for it
Fair play if your Gunna play hard , work hard but only do it if you can afford it.
As said, the way I understand it Is the money you get is for living and Uni work. Its your own fault if you blow all your money on drink and then find you've run out and don't have the money to continue aspects of your course.
Niall, lets not spam this thread, we'll discuss over a coffee on monday evening Smile
Oooh I'm joining in too!
Ed Doe Wrote:Oooh I'm joining in too!

my team ya??? :dance:
ginge191 Wrote:Niall, lets not spam this thread, we'll discuss over a coffee on monday evening Smile
Deal....your buying Wink
Niall Wrote:
ginge191 Wrote:Niall, lets not spam this thread, we'll discuss over a coffee on monday evening Smile
Deal....your buying Wink

how about loser pays?
Very interesting, i dont think its really off topic, please carry on.
Fozzy Wrote:Very interesting, i dont think its really off topic, please carry on.

well you heard my point of view...

i wish you all the best and respect for getting that far, 5th year, is that MSc?
My loans pay for the tuition and halls. However the halls loan always leaves me about £300 of what it actually costs so i have to shell out my own money on rent... I only survive because i get £500 off my gran which i guess is infact my inheritance! D:

Im doing computer technology in liverpool. Not really much we have had to pay for... even our week in wales was paid for! For projects if we need things we put them on a list and the uni buys them! Wink
Will say that what I've said is just my opinion. I've always been in the view that unless your doing something where you NEED a degree (e.g doctor, surgeon ect) you shouldn't go to Uni before trying the job. Seen so many people spend stupid money only to find they didn't even like the job.
Also hate these people who seem to think that Uni is their right and they insist on protesting on it all the bloody time...and no I'm not saying that's everyone!

Good luk to you with the rest of your course. I used to work quite closely with a lot of architects and realised one thing...you will need a cheap shitty suit and drive a BMW, saab or Volvo!
Niall Wrote:Will say that what I've said is just my opinion. I've always been in the view that unless your doing something where you NEED a degree (e.g doctor, surgeon ect) you shouldn't go to Uni before trying the job. Seen so many people spend stupid money only to find they didn't even like the job.
Also hate these people who seem to think that Uni is their right and they insist on protesting on it all the bloody time...and no I'm not saying that's everyone!

Good luk to you with the rest of your course. I used to work quite closely with a lot of architects and realised one thing...you will need a cheap shitty suit and drive a BMW, saab or Volvo!

My career will lead into the forces - why you ask would i need a degree for a millitary role?

University doesn't only prove you've been able to stick something for 3 years, living of near nothing but also you are a respectable member of society, literary capable and have the ability to complete work on a deadline.

This for an officer is important seeing as the bulk of officer work (within logistics at least) centres around time keeping, prioritising work loads and fairly decent management skills - combine this with the real life work i've had supervising various roles across this globe, i'm using university to enhance the opportunity i have to get a well paid career.

But yes, everyone uses university for a various or reasons.

Also be aware that schools lack the ability to pursuade pupils to anything else than university. For their own rapour, they want more students attending further education @ uni rather than going into a laborious trade.
ginge191 Wrote:Also be aware that schools lack the ability to pursuade pupils to anything else than university. For their own rapour, they want more students attending further education @ uni rather than going into a laborious trade.

Agreed. I left school at 16 and I actually had a teacher tell me if I don't go to 6form and college/Uni, I will fail in later life.
I'm now 20, earning more than most teachers and in a better position for future life than most teachers!
I will how ever say though, fair play for you going into the forces but most employers will not think "oh he's stuck to Uni for 3 years, he's clearly dedicated so we will employ him". Most would rather see a good work ethic which you can only get by working.
In your case (and I don't know exactly what your planning on doing in the forces so this is a bit of a guess - appologies if wrong ) I do not see how sociaology (course your doing right?) influences a job in the forces.
I pay the Uni to basically, teach myself Doh
Seconded....I said from day one of 6th form that I didn't want to go to university, but did want to learn more in those two years to help me with a career. My teachers pushed and pushed, ignoring my very valid reasons for not wanting to go (my mum was sick at the time), making me feel bad for wanting a career as soon as I left school. My Dad has built his own company from career experience, not uni, and it's what I want to do to. I've always been like that. But nooooo, not good enough for the school figures!

I feel I've got the right job for me and 4 years experience behind me that is invaluable. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5