306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Second car insurance question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have fully comprehensive insurance, I checked with the insurer when taking it out if I could drive any car with the owner's permission on a third party basis and they confirmed that I could.

Now if I buy a second car, and give myself as the owner permission to drive it, would I be covered on a third party basis by my existing insurance?
No...

The owner has to be someone else (funnily enough) and also have their own insurance on the vehicle.
what he said^^^^

get a second policy on limited miles some company's will mirror your existing policy no claims bonus onto the new policy if you have any.

i have done this with my second car
Admiral multi car and push them to mirror your ncb. They will do it.
A lot of places will mirror your ncb Smile
Unfortunately not. As said previously it's only "other people's cars". It's also an offence now remember to have a taxed car that's not insured. And you can't tax an uninsured car so your plan wouldn't work even if you signed it over to your dad or something.
Thanks for the answer guys, i suspected as much. It makes getting a new car or donor car much more of a ballache. I've not been driving for long so have no NCB, insurance is usually around £1000 for a year or £200 per month. Obviously i can cancel my old insurance and get the money back from that but it requires a lot more cash on hand in the interim.
If you've only recently passed, are you sure you have the benefit? Do you mind me asking how old you are?
I'm 25, I got insurance within days of passing and the insurance confirmed I had the benefit due to age. It infuriated my 24 year old housemate who can't despite having 7 years experience Big Grin
Ah that makes sense Smile
Ah the joys of being old. 10 years ncb next year for me haha
(08-10-2014, 07:09 AM)Orta Wrote: [ -> ]Ah the joys of being old. 10 years ncb next year for me haha

16 years for me and the wife Itwasntme
(08-10-2014, 07:09 AM)Orta Wrote: [ -> ]Ah the joys of being pre-historic. 10 years ncb next year for me haha

Edited for you chap Wink
(08-10-2014, 07:30 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2014, 07:09 AM)Orta Wrote: [ -> ]Ah the joys of being pre-historic. 10 years ncb next year for me haha

Edited for you chap Wink

Cheeky!!
if you buy another car call your insurance company and add it temporarily so you can drive it home.