306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Genuine Car Selection Issues...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For those of you who don't know (and probably don't care) I now work for Porsche.

I miss my old crappy German car, and for a while actually thought I was happy with just running the 306. I've not decided that I'm not.

I've come to my senses and want to pick up a project porker.

There's two choices, a 924 or a 944, they're both readily available to me for sub £500 needing work, I just can't make my mind up which to pick.

As this is now the only forum I'm marginally involved in thought I'd ask for your genuine opinions.

Chances are I'll get one and it'll just join the 2 golf's and 3 discovery's slowly rotting away in the field, but hey, I can dream.

So... which would you pick and why?
working for porsche? i'd get a vw bug and fit one of the 911 flat 6's, if it's just a choice between the 944 or 924 then go for the 924 imo, more sleeper looking but still perfectly capable,
Tough choice.

Both are front engined, RWD with rear gearbox. Torsion bar rear suspension setup, with springs and wishbones up front. Will be an epically balanced and well handling machine when restored.

To my knowledge, both use the same drivetrain.

If it was me, I would go with the 944 - purely for aesthetic reasons, based on being ny-on the same chassis and running gear.
As above i would be shopping for a 924 especially if its for a project Smile

On a side note sell me one of those discovery's! Tongue
Defo 944. Love em. And a lot of people dont recognise them as porsches too!!
The wheels are them are magnesium I think too? SO LIGHT!
Early 924's were an Audi/Porsche project, 4 stud running gear, drum rear brakes.

924S was a proper Porsche, still maintained the Audi Transmission but moved to an early design of the 944 running gear.

944 was all Porsche (engine, transmission suspension)

They are surprisingly different.

I adore the design of the 944, but the Audi link with the 924 makes a conversion I'm thinking about a lot easier.

The 924 is also a lot lights and arguably handles better.

For reference here's the two I've currently got lined up...

[Image: 20140910.jpg]
Pros - no rust, full (and tidy) interior
Cons - its a 924, doesn't run (suspect fuel pump)

[Image: 20140911.jpg]
Pros - its a late model with the nice kit, runs and drives.
Cons - No interior (and I mean NOTHING), rotten sills

#cantdecide
944 would be my choice! still would love one at some point but as ive 2 non runners i haven't the space for another project lol except my 306 that should turn up shortly Wink
944 for me, again purely for aesthetic reasons. I also believe there are slightly more in the way of mod cons in the 944 but could be wrong.
what's easier for parts?
Porsche are actually really good for classic parts, and even the retail prices tend to be cheaper than non-gen bits!
(01-10-2014, 03:26 PM)Norledge Wrote: [ -> ]Porsche are actually really good for classic parts, and even the retail prices tend to be cheaper than non-gen bits!

that's a good start, as its ok picking a classic/ retro project. You need the backing for parts. I have had to rebody mine in the end sadly. i had to gut the old one for everything!
944 would be my choice, mainly for the aesthetics tbh.
altho thinking about it 924 gtrs are droolworthy!! whats your requirements for it? gonna be a daily driver, track toy? etc
I just want a bit of a restoration. Also fancy a 20vt swap from something VAG.

Something a little different.

Plus I've ALWAYS wanted a 944, I had one a few years back I sold to a neighbour after it sat on my drive for 3 days, regretted it since.
(01-10-2014, 04:04 PM)Norledge Wrote: [ -> ]IPlus I've ALWAYS wanted a 944

Surely that decides it then? If you've always wanted a 944 and that's an option, get one!
944, even tho it more work, it's the car you always wantted plus you can do it the way you want it.
944. Cooler
I've been thinking about a 924 for a long time, values are finally starting to climb on them. Driven a few, people say they're slow but they're not, 125bhp and about a ton. Good engine, same as in my old Audi 80, no ball of fire but very smooth and with a really even torque curve. Good brakes, fantastic handling, smooth ride, quiet and comfortable, will even do 40mpg on a run. Interior is a lovely place to be, great low driving position, interesting dash, great cruiser. And most importantly, POP UP HEADLIGHTS!!!
944... ifd you cant get a 928..
I did get offered a proper early 928, too lazy and lethargic for me though I'm afraid.
944. I love the wideness! Really want one!