306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: decat + MOT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, I know this has been doing the rounds for a while, spoke to a few people and they've had no problems, but: my HDi has it's MOT next week, it is 2000 (W) reg with no CAT and no backbox (just centre box fitted)
Hopefully it's going to sail through it's MOT. Just wondering what similar peoples/cars results were.

Funny really as last time it had it's MOT the two advisory's were:
Vehicle has back box removed &
Vehicle has been lowered (-30MM Yo!)
If its fitted, it needs to work..

technically it should have it on as it wasz original fitment, however dervs do not require a cat for an MOT like petrol cars do.
(29-09-2014, 09:39 PM)toseland Wrote: [ -> ]If its fitted, it needs to work..

technically it should have it on as it wasz original fitment, however dervs do not require a cat for an MOT like petrol cars do.
WRONG

Its now in the test if it was fitted as standard it must have one. As in you must be able to see it as a tester. To be honest though if it passes emissions which most will. Many testers will pass them. Although incorrect
Haven't you just repeated what toseland said in simpler language?
Echo echo echo
Yeah sort of half asleep been up all night due to little one. Shouldn't really post this time of morning Sad
Yeah so to repeat whats already been said it has to be fitted (or appear to be fitted) but doesn't need to work for a HDi to pass the smoke test.

Weather a garage will look or not if its passed the smoke test is another thing. As they aren't allowed to take anything apart if they say its not fitted I'd try telling them the mid box is an aftermarket cat that you had welded in further back as they can't prove otherwise.
A mid box looks completely different to a cat though....might fool an old lady with that, but an MOT tester that's under cars all day, every day!? Confused

Just in case it's been missed, presence of a cat/DPF (where originally fitted) is now checked on the MOT for diesels. lol

You'll pass smoke test without, but depending where you go, it's unlikely they'll pass a straight pipe. Be better to gut a cat and refit now tbh.
(30-09-2014, 08:36 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]A mid box looks completely different to a cat though....might fool an old lady with that, but an MOT tester that's under cars all day, every day!? Confused

Just in case it's been missed, presence of a cat/DPF (where originally fitted) is now checked on the MOT for diesels. lol

You'll pass smoke test without, but depending where you go, it's unlikely they'll pass a straight pipe. Be better to gut a cat and refit now tbh.

Or do as I and a few others are doing. Get your old cat and cut the shell off. Then weld around your straight pipe to appear as a dummy cat Smile

(30-09-2014, 08:36 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]A mid box looks completely different to a cat though....might fool an old lady with that, but an MOT tester that's under cars all day, every day!? Confused

Or do as I and a few others are doing. Get your old cat and cut the shell off. Then weld around your straight pipe to appear as a dummy cat Smile
Nice double post there rob Wink

Real men don't have cats
(30-09-2014, 12:10 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: [ -> ]Nice double post there rob Wink

Real men don't have cats

Apologies sir. Bloody glitchy tapatalk
just get a friendly mot tester and dont worry?
^ my plan exactly.
(30-09-2014, 12:55 PM)Razorback_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]

Real men don't have cats

Apology not accepted sir! 30 lashes for when i see you!
(30-09-2014, 01:02 PM)SRowell Wrote: [ -> ]just get a friendly mot tester and dont worry?

All well and good until you get a random pull by VOSA... Confused
Personally, I would just do as Rob says above and have the CAT "shell" in place but gutted or with a pipe welded inside. That way, it will pass an MOT or VOSA check just fine as they're not going to remove it from the car to check whether there's anything inside it, merely just a visual check that there is something that looks like a CAT (and/or a DPF) present in the exhaust.
(30-09-2014, 03:17 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-09-2014, 01:02 PM)SRowell Wrote: [ -> ]just get a friendly mot tester and dont worry?

All well and good until you get a random pull by VOSA... Confused

well... if they find a decat anyway it doesnt matter whether it was a genuine or mates MOT. you could have fitted it after the MOT!
That has nothing to do with MOT though. VOSA can fine you for it whether or not it passes MOT...
(30-09-2014, 03:57 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]That has nothing to do with MOT though. VOSA can fine you for it whether or not it passes MOT...

is exactly what i just said...
(30-09-2014, 01:53 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-09-2014, 12:55 PM)Razorback_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]

Real men don't have cats

Only 30?! I want more please, sir Wink
When was the last time you saw vosa pulling anything that wasn't commercial. Wink
I got pulled by vosa once. Not far from where toms306 lives to be honest. But then again I was in a micra that had been hand painted like the genral lee. I sort of had it coming.
(01-10-2014, 06:04 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: [ -> ]I got pulled by vosa once. Not far from where toms306 lives to be honest. But then again I was in a micra that had been hand painted like the genral lee. I sort of had it coming.

Cheers for making me snort my tea out my nose lol

that mental image of someone driving past a vosa checkpoint in a handpainted general lee micra and being waved in was too much for me before 9am lol

(30-09-2014, 06:44 PM)Razorback_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-09-2014, 01:53 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-09-2014, 12:55 PM)Razorback_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]Apologies sir. Bloody glitchy tapatalk

Only 30?! I want more please, sir Wink

You'll get more Wink

(01-10-2014, 05:52 AM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]When was the last time you saw vosa pulling anything that wasn't commercial. Wink

Out here in the sticks they generally set up camp near a market town on a market day and wait for the farmers running red in every vehicle then bust them for the fact they never have matching trailer / vehicle no' plates or working lights / mirrors either lol
(01-10-2014, 05:52 AM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]When was the last time you saw vosa pulling anything that wasn't commercial. Wink

Quite regularly!! Used to be a town centre 'race circuit' every night in Ipswich. Driving round in circles and having to stop every quarter for traffic lights is apparently fun....not gonna lie, I done it the 1.4 a few times to try and fit in. Tongue I'd imagine Bash is talking about the same place...

Until VOSA set up there on random nights anyway....the amount of car's they issued fines for was ridiculous really, anal things like a bulb out and slightly underinflated tyres mostly, but one of my mates even had his car seized due to poor quality mods!! Confused Might've helped if he'd declared them though tbf Rolleyes

Also seen VOSA alongside police at a couple of cruises, checking noise limits from exhausts and stuff. Again saw a car get seized...though that was pretty funny, poorly rolled sharp arches catching the tyres and ripping lumps out. lmao

It got to the point where I was more scared about the police/VOSA at meets/cruises than I was about the car getting nicked/damaged! Dodgy
Same place mate was just innocently going to cinema. Had this for a charity run. Was awesome. [attachment=19315]
(01-10-2014, 06:04 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: [ -> ]I got pulled by vosa once. Not far from where toms306 lives to be honest. But then again I was in a micra that had been hand painted like the genral lee. I sort of had it coming.

++ epic winning if you had the horn too.
(01-10-2014, 02:34 PM)nominous Wrote: [ -> ]

++ epic winning if you had the horn too.
I did have the horn but on a separate switch. Passed the vosa inspection though
Haha, can't believe I never saw that round town!! lol
and totally illegal featuring the numbers on the side..!!!