306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: mot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so, to be clear, if the air bag light does not come on at all ( missing or blown bulb ) when the ign is turned on, then its not an mot fail but an advisory??

what about the eng management light?

what about abs light?

also, if I mot the estate very early ( mot due mid November ) say 2 months early, and it fails, is the old mot ( 2 months left on it as its due mid November ) still be valid?

help and advise greatly appreciated, Heart brilliant forum.
Airbag light needs to come on & then go off, as does ABS light.

AFAIK EML isnt part of the test, could well be wrong though.
(03-09-2014, 09:55 AM)pug306driver Wrote: [ -> ]also, if I mot the estate very early ( mot due mid November ) say 2 months early, and it fails, is the old mot ( 2 months left on it as its due mid November ) still be valid?

Yes it is, although clearly if it fails the MOT then the car probably isn't roadworthy.
(03-09-2014, 10:28 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-09-2014, 09:55 AM)pug306driver Wrote: [ -> ]also, if I mot the estate very early ( mot due mid November ) say 2 months early, and it fails, is the old mot ( 2 months left on it as its due mid November ) still be valid?

Yes it is, although clearly if it fails the MOT then the car probably isn't roadworthy.

never understood how this is allowed really

Stated in the 'Off with a bang thread' and mr frost is a tester

(02-09-2014, 07:09 AM)Frosty Wrote: [ -> ]No air bag light coming on is an advisory
(03-09-2014, 10:28 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: [ -> ]

....and your insurance becomes invalid due to the vehicle 'having to be in a roadworthy condition'. Though as long as you don't crash you should be fine with that lol.

EML is just an advisory.

ABS is a fail if any component is faulty (so if the light is on).
If it fails and deemed unroadworthy thrn it invalidates the existing mot i believe. There is a degree of how badly it fails.
Frosty said on my thread that if the light doesn't come on at all for the airbags then it's just an advisory. No idea about the abs but dads car had the bulb taken out so it didn't light up at all and it passed!
(03-09-2014, 11:27 AM)Slam Wagon Wrote: [ -> ]If it fails and deemed unroadworthy thrn it invalidates the existing mot i believe. There is a degree of how badly it fails.

Not true - even failing on a point deemed "dangerous" still does not void the existing MOT.

The following is taken from the Government website:

Quote:You can still drive your vehicle if it fails the test and its existing MOT certificate is still valid (ie you got it tested before the expiry date). However, you might be stopped by police and prosecuted if your vehicle is unroadworthy.
Fair enough, so any fail deems it unroadworthy and therefore no insurance and cant legally drive anyway.
I'm getting fed up with saying no air bag light is a ADVISORY not a FAIL!
Yeah you would of thought everyone on here would know by now seeing as you keep having to correct people! Just get a thread on it stickied Rofl
(03-09-2014, 11:49 AM)Slam Wagon Wrote: [ -> ]Fair enough, so any fail deems it unroadworthy and therefore no insurance and cant legally drive anyway.

It's a grey area really, a fail isn't necessarily unroadworthy (a high emmisions reading isnt gonna cause a crash for example) and the police wont see that either...but if it fails because of a knackered beam then you lose the rear end and crash, the insurers aren't likely to pay out. They probably have different ideas of roadworthiness as well. Or if you fail for bald tyres and the police stop you on the way home you'd still get the fine.

Its the same with going to get an MOT on a car that doesn't have one though...you have to have it insured to drive to the centre....but if the car was unroadworthy and you crashed because of it, it's the same scenario, and the insurers may not pay out...
(03-09-2014, 04:23 PM)j77hrn Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah you would of thought everyone on here would know by now seeing as you keep having to correct people! Just get a thread on it stickied Rofl

I would just like to know where everyone keeps getting the idea that it's a fail from. Seems to be a lot of people that think that
If you want to play the pedant, then technically driving your car with a known fault is a prosecutable offence, therefore driving a car that you know has failed an MOT is a criminal action.

However, you could spend days running in circles with arguments like that. The point is the MOT itself is still valid, which is the answer to the op's question.
I just heard off someone that if the light stays on it's a failure and I guess presumed that it has to come on!
Maybe a guide on pre mot checks is a good idea. Maybe frosty can write something up, i know all the info is already available online but it should help stop these kinds of post and save frosty having to keep repeating himself, other than copy and pasting the link to the thread.
Yeah that would be a good idea! Also most folk shouldn't have to ask if they use the search function!!
There is already a Pre-MOT guide on here, but it was stupidly long and not easy to follow.

Think it was posted by Flynn though (copied from elsewhere), so may well be hidden or deleted now.
Just to reiterate. No air bag light is not a fail. Wasn't sure if this had been covered!

Some garage workers will insist it is though, I insist you slap them.
(04-09-2014, 09:19 AM)Pebbles167 Wrote: [ -> ]Just to reiterate. No air bag light is not a fail. Wasn't sure if this had been covered!

Some garage workers will insist it is though, I insist you slap them.
Agrred the test manual reads rfr obviously showing a fault. There is no longer need for it to come on then go off
Didn't think you could MOT your car until 1 month before its due to expire?
You can't AFAIK.
You can, but you wont preserve the expiry date, so it'll have 12 months MOT from the point it passes.
So airbag light on or never comes on is an advisory. What about EML? Also advisory if it's on? I couldn't see a clear answer to that one above.
If it comes on and doesn't go off it's a fail but if it doesn't come on at all then it's just an advisory. I don't think the eml light matters at all but I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong!
The eml is an advisory, as if you couldn't see its on lol.. It's not a safety system, which is what the MOT tests. Smile
thanks for the replies,

WITH ign on, airbag light doesn't LIGHT AT ALL, then an advisory, eml doesn't LIGHT AT ALL, then that an advisory as well. If eml light comes on undwe self test mode then goes out, but comes on during the mot, its an advisory.

was gunna mot and sort any fails ( corrosion on nsf outrigger, a smallish hole ) and screen area, before mot due.
(04-09-2014, 11:48 AM)pug306driver Wrote: [ -> ]was gunna mot and sort any fails ( corrosion on nsf outrigger, a smallish hole ) and screen area, before mot due.

Landrover person by any chance? Tongue