306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: An MOT Fail??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Really quick question, from what i've heard regarding boxes in a dturbo exhaust system there's the fact that a single box in a system would pass, fine...

My question - I've got a mid box and back box on my system as factory standard, BUT i have a fairly large hole surrounding the pipe entering the back box <-- is this a fail as technically the centre box is still intact??

I dont have a spare box to put on but i could probably get to the shops and get some repair putty/tape on it.

Any input please. Much love puggers
You could argue the toss as the exhaust gases are leaving the car behind the passenger compartment, but the exhaust system has to be in good working order sonwould likely fail on that basis
cwspellowe Wrote:You could argue the toss as the exhaust gases are leaving the car behind the passenger compartment, but the exhaust system has to be in good working order sonwould likely fail on that basis

would you suggest some putty bodge before it goes in then to save a pointless argument??
Go for it. Might get an advisory as it's a temp repair but proper gun gum lasts for ages.
Large hole in your exhaust system of course it will fail lol
Only if it's leaking Wink
If theres a hole how can it not leak lol?
4WayDiablo Wrote:Large hole in your exhaust system of course it will fail lol

but why?? understand that boxes include baffles and filters but when it's at the back of the system?

It's repaired nonetheless and can strongly recommend NEVER use this thing, the most horrendous piece of crap ever!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255217

bought it thinking ideal, i have a small hole, this covers it fairly simply... JESUS is this thing crap!
When my exhaust snapped in half I used a gun gum bandage, it set solid and held it like mofo.
ginge191 Wrote:

but why?? understand that boxes include baffles and filters but when it's at the back of the system?

It's repaired nonetheless and can strongly recommend NEVER use this thing, the most horrendous piece of crap ever!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255217

bought it thinking ideal, i have a small hole, this covers it fairly simply... JESUS is this thing crap!
you gotta use the gun gum with that aswell
4WayDiablo Wrote:you gotta use the gun gum with that aswell

nope...

it had 3 instructions on the back, no where did it mention using gun gum, thats why i bought it...
was something along the lines of, clean the surface - fit it around the pipe - screw tight..
When mine failed the MOT for a whole in the system, bit of the Holts putty did the trick and no come backs and still solid now Big Grin
repair bandage, job done..............then when you have time create a new exhaust Smile
mark_airey Wrote:repair bandage, job done..............then when you have time create a new exhaust Smile

THINK i may have a spare backbox, may just hollow that out Big Grin
Meh, get down the scrappies and get a straight bit of exhaust and replace the backbox with it ninja
mark_airey Wrote:Meh, get down the scrappies and get a straight bit of exhaust and replace the backbox with it ninja

want to keep the downpipe though, as it fits with the OEM look quite nicely.... straight pipes out the back, blah
ginge191 Wrote:
mark_airey Wrote:Meh, get down the scrappies and get a straight bit of exhaust and replace the backbox with it ninja

want to keep the downpipe though, as it fits with the OEM look quite nicely.... straight pipes out the back, blah

I said replace the box, not the tip, weld that back on the other end of the pipe, stealth FTW Big Grin
mark_airey Wrote:I said replace the box, not the tip, weld that back on the other end of the pipe, stealth FTW Big Grin

hahah that would look soooooooo gay lol AND the effort to get some new braces made up also... :think:
Get out, 1, you won't see it so who cares, 2, its cheaper than getting a system made, 3, you can make exhaust hangers from anything, mine had a bit of spare wheel carrier welded on............. lol
mark_airey Wrote:Get out, 1, you won't see it so who cares, 2, its cheaper than getting a system made, 3, you can make exhaust hangers from anything, mine had a bit of spare wheel carrier welded on............. lol

its like a ladies underwear - not many people see them, but those that who judge a LOT - people would judge my floppy pipe Sad
You really are a strange one to understand ginge :?
4WayDiablo Wrote:You really are a strange one to understand ginge :?

lol how come??
ginge191 Wrote:

*SNIP*

For the same reason that if a spare wheel is present it must be road legal. If it's fitted then they will test it, doesn't matter if you only need one box, if you have more than one and one of them is holey then it will fail.