306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Changing Condenser - Bumper off job?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can't find a guide to replacing the condenser, and wondered if it was a bumper off job?

I'm replacing the radiator (taking longer than planned) and wondered if replacing condenser can be done in the same way as radiator or is it best the bumper comes off.

I'm replacing the bottom AC pipes too if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.
Im sure the condensor is attatched to the rad??

Remove pipework, top clips off, lean rad towards engine and remove.

Just be careful with the aircon gas...its nasty stuff. And if you smoke, it becomes mustard gas when inhaled through a ciggy
If there is any gas left then it shouldn't be vented to atmosphere. It's illegal to do so however these things accidentally happen so if it does, make sure your wearing some safety goggles that seal to your face. The stuff can blind you so it's not nice stuff!
There is a leak in system hence removing and replacing.

So hoping it's empty. But will cover eyes and do it carefully. Thank you for the warning.

Thanks for the replies. Heading out to bruise my knuckles Smile
Think you have to be close for it to do anything, got a faceful from about 2ft away when stripping the golf (ac wasnt cold so assumed empty!) and there were no effects at all.

The bumper doesn't need to come off btw.
At work we have a nitrogen kit that we can pump into aircon systems to check if they leak as you can.vent that to atmosphere. So what tends.to happen is system has slight leak. Bloke working on it goes to make a cup of tea. Pump it full of nitrogen, watch the shocked face of the bloke when.he pulls the pipe off thinking its still charged
The leak may be in crusty pipes somewhere though so condenser may not fix it!
I was assuming he had already diagnosed it correctly, or had it diagnosed. Easy enough if it is.
He'll see the snapped pipe on the chassis crossmember while removing the condenser if that's the case...
Condenser is leaky. Had it looked at by ac guys. But radiator is now out and pretty bad. [attachment=18715]

Now to get condenser out.

I have new bottom pipes to go in.

And have the spring release tool.

Just me getting in the way of a simple job.

Eg the bottom hose is not coming off at the non radiator end and pulling it is rocking the car on its stands. I guess I should just cut it off as I'm replacing it anyway.

Whoops didn't mean to attach twice

Also replacing the dryer unit. Just waiting for it to arrive.
Well got everything out. Including the dryer.

Now I'm stuck again.

The brackets that hold on ac pipes have Allen key screws which are stripping when I attempt to move them

Any ideas what to do

Angle grinder? But quite tight?

[attachment=18732]
Oh and I now have the utmost respect for those in the projects section. Because I realise even the simplest of jobs turns into a mission on these old cars!!
If i was you, get your torn driver and gently tap it in with a hammer. You will find the hole is crudded up so you won't be getting your piece in the hole as deep as you could........
(31-08-2014, 08:21 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]If i was you, get your torn driver and gently tap it in with a hammer. You will find the hole is crudded up so you won't be getting your piece in the hole as deep as you could........
Torn driver?
Trust me, you do not want a damaged driver!
(31-08-2014, 08:08 PM)MisterGTR Wrote: [ -> ]Oh and I now have the utmost respect for those in the projects section. Because I realise even the simplest of jobs turns into a mission on these old cars!!

To be fair, the bottom hose is a bit of a pig if it is the original one, and you're diving straight in on replacing big bits!
If they are newish they require a bit of grunt but aren't so bad.
(31-08-2014, 08:33 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Trust me, you do not want a damaged driver!
Sorry I'm not understanding what you mean by a driver let alone a torn one. I haven't done any of this for 20 years and my dad had every tool under the sun, the skills and the patience. I would just follow his advice!! So apologies for the dumb questions. And thanks for helping.

(31-08-2014, 08:58 PM)RetroPug Wrote: [ -> ]
(31-08-2014, 08:08 PM)MisterGTR Wrote: [ -> ]Oh and I now have the utmost respect for those in the projects section. Because I realise even the simplest of jobs turns into a mission on these old cars!!

To be fair, the bottom hose is a bit of a pig if it is the original one, and you're diving straight in on replacing big bits!
If they are newish they require a bit of grunt but aren't so bad.
Cheers Luke. I'm trying to keep the heid as we would say up here. Lol
Torx driver...it was a typo, that ended up being an innuendo... lol
(31-08-2014, 09:06 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Torx driver...it was a typo, that ended up being an innuendo... lol
Ahhhh lol

(31-08-2014, 09:06 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Torx driver...it was a typo, that ended up being an innuendo... lol
Will give it a go tomorrow after work.

If that doesn't work. I guess I could chisel off the head of the screw.
lmao Sorry i didn't realise my typo. Thought you was just being humorous.

Yes, i meant torx driver
(31-08-2014, 10:03 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]lmao Sorry i didn't realise my typo. Thought you was just being humorous.

Yes, i meant torx driver

Normally i would have. But it's funny how a half day spent sraping you your knuckles and banging your head on every sharp corner going (repeatedly) can suck the sense of humour out of you! Smile

But it's a new dawn....it's a new day..... Smile
How do you bang your head changing a rad!? lol

But scraped knuckles are just a normal part of 306 ownership. Dodgy
(01-09-2014, 10:51 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]How do you bang your head changing a rad!? lol

But scraped knuckles are just a normal part of 306 ownership. Dodgy

My dad always laughs as i lack patience, talent and am a clutz when it comes to general DIY and maintence:

I banged my head on:
The garage door which i hadn't put up fully
The driver's side brake disc as i was trying to see where the lower hose went.
The bottom of the car as some left over coolant came out the radiator as i removed the lower hose and i tried to get out the way of it quickly.

And i'm sure there were others, but i banged my head as i said Big Grin

It's kinda funny how crap i am!
Hmm, I suggest a hard hat in that case! Big Grin

I know the pain of a garage door head bang though, ours drops at the worst possible moments, usually as I'm looking downwards and 'crunch'! Doh

You don't need patience or talent to work on a 306, I seem to manage alright without either. lol
(01-09-2014, 11:03 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, I suggest a hard hat in that case! Big Grin

I know the pain of a garage door head bang though, ours drops at the worst possible moments, usually as I'm looking downwards and 'crunch'! Doh

You don't need patience or talent to work on a 306, I seem to manage alright without either. lol

yeh i probably need to kit myself out in kevlar. Smile

If i can get through fitting the AC stuff and getting it working. I think the only really crappy job will be the rear torsion bar from what i've read. And having see the rest of this car i can only imagine it will be stuck well.

One saving grace is the wee kid (he's 20 but looks like a wee kid to me!) in my street who came over to see what i was up to yesterdat, is a mechanic by trade and has an impact gun. So i might just have him do that. As Harry Enfield would say..."Ian...know your limits!!" Smile