306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Xsi engine upgrades (need advice)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi

I've heard that if I upgraded my sxi engine with these parts
Gti-6 inlet and throttle bodie,
gti-6 camshafts,
gti-6 exhaust manifold, it kills a gti-6, and goes like stink after 4rpm,

I just wondered if any one has done this and what gains it achieved if any

Thanks
Don't know who told you that but its not true. By doing the above, you have basically built a GTi engine without the higher flowing head and correct ECU with the correct map.
The bottom end between the XSI and GTI is virtually identical so no change there.
How did Mrs Puglove do hers? as I believe her XSI is putting out 140ish BHP
(25-08-2014, 03:17 PM)Pebbles167 Wrote: [ -> ]How did Mrs Puglove do hers? as I believe her XSI is putting out 140ish BHP

IIRC hers is standard and the day that went on the dyno, a lot of people came away with hugely optimistic readings!
I've seen the variation dyno's can produce. A lot of it is down to the company wanting people to go away pleased, as many will not trust the figure if its lower than they want! I wont take my car near a dyno as I'm afraid it will have the best part of 150bhp Sad
So really it would be a waste of time

@niall
This was the quote
"hi everyone new to this forum, just a little about my car, i drive a 1999 phase 3 xsi 16v in china blue
new heater matrix fitted,
fitted with gti-6 inlet and throttle bodie,
gti-6 camshafts,
gti-6 exhaust manifold, it kills a gti-6, goes like stink after 4rpm,
if enyone as a 16v xsi i recommend you do these mods,
and also stript the aircon out, if you want to no any more about the tunning or want it doing, bring the car and your parts to me, i will fit the cams, inlet and throttle bodie and the exhaust manifold and put a new head gasket on for £280 plus your old parts back, cheers"
Sort of. There are ways to get the power I'm sure, but for the price you could probably pick up a Gti 6 engine?

If you want a bit more agility, get some decent suspension or tyre upgrades Smile
(25-08-2014, 03:22 PM)Pebbles167 Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen the variation dyno's can produce. A lot of it is down to the company wanting people to go away pleased, as many will not trust the figure if its lower than they want! I wont take my car near a dyno as I'm afraid it will have the best part of 150bhp Sad

Yeah its very easy for a dyno operator to falsify figures. Its not just as simple as strap her down and put your foot through the floor. Tbh BHP figures are all just willy waving figures anyway. Theres no use in having 400hp if its only making 150 until 8k!

(25-08-2014, 03:22 PM)Adam-m-h Wrote: [ -> ]So really it would be a waste of time

Personally if your chasing more power and want to do it easily, fit a 6 engine. If you want more power and have a bit more time/effort/money, then there is loads of ways to skin a cat!
(25-08-2014, 03:22 PM)Adam-m-h Wrote: [ -> ]@niall
This was the quote
"hi everyone new to this forum, just a little about my car, i drive a 1999 phase 3 xsi 16v in china blue
new heater matrix fitted,
fitted with gti-6 inlet and throttle bodie,
gti-6 camshafts,
gti-6 exhaust manifold, it kills a gti-6, goes like stink after 4rpm,
if enyone as a 16v xsi i recommend you do these mods,
and also stript the aircon out, if you want to no any more about the tunning or want it doing, bring the car and your parts to me, i will fit the cams, inlet and throttle bodie and the exhaust manifold and put a new head gasket on for £280 plus your old parts back, cheers"

Where did that come from? Sounds like utter rubbish! Also not sure if he is implying that striping the air con out will make you faster than a gti6 but if he is, you may as well shave your legs and have a turn out before you go for a drive instead!

Tbh, the GTi isn't much faster at all than the XSi or 1.8 up until 50-60ish
Agreed, that sounds like rubbish!
Id be very intrigued to know who is mapping it for him. Not many people will/can map the standard ECU and even then, if its not being done on a dyno, the chances are its a generic map or, my money is on one of these stupid tuning boxes which just destroy your engine.
Thanks for the advice will have to have a careful think about what I want to do with her
Superchip, massive optimism and a good dose of wishful thinking if you ask me.
3.0 v6 or sell it and get a hdi
Wow thats quite a difference in what you're after! lol
yeh what are you after mate? The 3.0 V6 is power but no economy. The Hdi is reasonable power if you spend some money and you will have great economy. By taking an XSI and putting a few gti6 bits in it its not magically going to 'kill a gti6'. You are right with those mods are the best for the xsi but as Niall says without a remap and ecu etc then it wont work correctly and would be pointless!

If you are looking at a v6 conversion then its going to best the best part of a grand unless you can do the custom fabrication yourself. id recommend doing stuff with a hdi.
Yeah I'm unsure what to do with it keep the standard engine,or swap it or mod it (HELP!)
I'm might leave it standard and just do it cosmetically
Depends what you're after really, you need to work that out before you can decide on anything. I should know, I've been trying to work out what I'm after for months. Tongue
Modifying petrol engines is generally more expensive than dervs when it comes to 306s but its all about what you want. The other thing you need to remember is the further you push a engine, the more its likely to break down. Thankfully Peugeot engines are pretty damn bullet proof (with exception of the TUs used in the 306) but still doesn't stop failures. Big boost DT engines often see rods spat out the block or HG issues.
Firstly you need to choose a fuel. There is benefits to both and if you go for diesel, you are in the right place for advice here. Even if you decide on petrol there is a fair few people here to give sound advice. Then you need to decide how you're going to get more power. If its derv, its 99% going to be a turbo. If perv, you could go turbo, throttle bodies, roots supercharger, centrifugal supercharger or even just highly strung single TB. All have their pros and cons
If I remortgage I'd like this lol

[Image: imagejpg1_zps057eb6ec.jpg]

Something to dream about Smile
I would say keep an eye on gti6.com for a second hand kit. You can regularly pick them up for £1300ish and fitting is easy as its all just bolt on kit.

I would say do you're research though. Thats a centrifugal charger (basically a belt driven turbo). Very good bits of kit and very efficient. With that kit on a 6 engine you would be looking at about 240-250bhp. My Eaton supercharged (roots charger) is 215hp but will sit neck and neck with a 6 with that lynx kit on due to the completely different power delivery.
If i was you, get you're self to some shows and meets and beg and plead people to take you out in their cars and see what you like. Personally, I'm a massive fan of turbo cars but went S/C due to costs.
Hmm, spending £4.5k on a car that's worth less than a quarter of that, just don't get it myself! lol But each to their own obviously. You could always run an XUD on veg while saving up to buy the Lynx kit. Tongue
(25-08-2014, 05:03 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]If i was you, get you're self to some shows and meets and beg and plead people to take you out in their cars and see what you like.

I think that's good advice and i will try and get to some and check out what others are/ have done to theirs
Yeh dont go spending money on things without being sure of the long term plan. Plan what you want and how you are going to get there. See where you can save money and if you have a long term plan you can wait for bargains to come up!
(25-08-2014, 05:51 PM)SRowell Wrote: [ -> ]Yeh dont go spending money on things without being sure of the long term plan. Plan what you want and how you are going to get there. See where you can save money and if you have a long term plan you can wait for bargains to come up!

I will I'll wait till next year in the mean time a few shows and meets to get some ideas

Thanks every one for the advice
V6 is power AND economy, they're better on fuel than the gti6, unless you're on it all the time...
I really want to drive one, considering sticking a v6 in my Rallye at some point.
i need to no can i supercharge my 306xsi or remapp
Anything is possible fella, if budget is unlimited. How much do you want to spend? What are your aims (track or road use). How long have you had the car? Unless you've had it a good while, know its history n that it's been well maintained then you should probably budget to sort the rest of the car first.

I've not heard of anyone putting a blower on a 16v XSi but it probably is possible. There was a kit for the GTi6 n with the right skills n knowledge you could perhaps adapt it. You could then maybe get a little bit extra out of it with low blow but try turninkit up n you'd quickly hit a whole load of limitations ...ECU (mentioned before), the very mild (low lift) cam in that engine, injector size, to mention a few things.

TBH, altho the 16v XSi isn't a real hot hatch it isn't slow either, providing the engine has good compression, the head is in good shape & everything around it is well maintained & working as it should.

You're really not giving us much to work with, advise wise, n I was half tempted not to reply at all. It would be nice for you to introduce yourself n have an idea of where you want to go with the car. As we've said before, this engine isn't the best place to start if you want more power.
Pages: 1 2