306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Alternator
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi just looking for some help... I changed my alternator cause it was squealing for one out my old hdi which when I last had running it was fine. However I think from lying around it's maybe not so fine, it's rattling and my battery light stayed on and now it won't start. Just wondering can I remove the aux bracket with the alternator still on it as it should come out from the top as apposed to trying to squeeze the alternator out from the bottom again!
Had to swap mine out last year due to bearing noise. Eventually I found it easier to undo the PAS pump mountings and move it out the way (I used a bungee cord to tie it out the way), and unclip the radiator to move it forward which gave me access to bring the alternaotr out over the top. I think you'll struggle to get the alternator off with the bracket space wise.
Aye cheers that's how I did it in the end! Now I need to get another alternator which doesn't sound like a mouse Sad
When you say 'it won't start', do you mean its run out of juice and is struggling to crank over, or it cranks but won't catch?
Battery light was on, it started, drove about 2 miles and it died. Had to get it jump started and it sat and idled and then died when I tried to move it again! Was just the alternator, must of been from it lying around which caused it to stop working!
The ECU on the HDI switch's off when it sees under voltage, so its quite likely its just a low battery as the alternator is not charging
(25-08-2014, 07:29 PM)j77hrn Wrote: [ -> ]Aye cheers that's how I did it in the end! Now I need to get another alternator which doesn't sound like a mouse Sad

No worries.
It's annoying though! The alternator I put on the car was our my old hdi and it used to work perfectly!