306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: What Welder?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looking at getting a welder. Have done a bit in the past, but am by no means a pro...

I've decided to go down the MIG route with it all, and so far have seen this

By no means an award winning peice of kit, but for a hobbyist I would say it is adequate...
Should I purchase this I would also be getting one of these as it is a PITA holding a mask and not being able to see what your doing.

So my question is, does anyone else have a MIG that they would recommend, or used one that they thought was particularly good?
Before I shell out 2 ton on welding gear lol

Cheers
You fail with links/pictures!
How? Works fine over here...

:teasing-knob:
i had the same kit your looking at seemed ok for me just me that let it down haha great price for what you get. but i do recomend getting a helmet its better holding the mig with 2 hands
Jenkosowls Wrote:i had the same kit your looking at seemed ok for me just me that let it down haha great price for what you get. but i do recomend getting a helmet its better holding the mig with 2 hands

Yeah, going to get the auto darkening one anyways, makes life easier. What were you welding with it when you had it?
Il only go for jackson hoods, and with that welder do you know if its a crappy perm live? something that size is only really good for thin material. need to get myself a mig welder soon, have got a tig welder, cost just under 2k with a good discount

[Image: REND3360CustomImage2725999.jpg]
Daniel306 Wrote:Il only go for jackson hoods, and with that welder do you know if its a crappy perm live? something that size is only really good for thin material. need to get myself a mig welder soon, have got a tig welder, cost just under 2k with a good discount

[Image: REND3360CustomImage2725999.jpg]

I am not spending 2k on a welder! lol, if it was something i was doing for a living maybe, but for a hobby and occasional use i will stick to the 2ton price limit lol.

Is that one in the picture the 2k machine?
The only "cheap" welders you can get away with IMO is second hand stuff, mainly arcs....but if you want it for hobby use you need a mig really for ease...

Cheap new mig's are a load of god turd and not worth buying imo....if your going to get a mig, then get a decent one....else just pay someone else to do it for you....

Imo anyway....
Not that I disagree Darren, but why is that? What compromises will i see with a cheap MIG?
I'd have to agree with Darren, friend of mine got a cheap MIG, can't remember what it was but it wasn't worth a hate. You just couldn't get a decent weld with it at all, was just jumping and sparking about all over the place. I spent a good while trying to set it up for him and it was just impossible..he sent it back and bought a bigger one...much better..you can actually weld with it!

And defo go for the auto-darkening mask, very handy to have a hand free to hold stuff etc whilst trying to get a tack or weld on it!
Ok thanks guys. Any particular brand or model to look for second hand?